Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > The Arsenal
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

The Arsenal Where firearms enthusiasts gather to discuss their passion for things that go bang. Political debate is one floor down and not welcome here.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:35 PM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Doing The Right Thing? Little Torn.....

25+ years ago my Ex-FIL decided that hunting was no longer in his blood and that he no longer wanted any firearms in the house.

Since I was the only one that hunted and have jumped thru a mile of hoops to have my PAL / restricted & prohibited licenses he gave them to me. Most was run of the mill and I have given them to the kids as they came of age and got their PAL's. Of course along the way I divorced the first wife and the rifles were never even contested as they were seen a junk and no one from her side could even legally own them.

Now fast forward, her older brother has drifted back into our lives. He went bankrupt in California real estate dealings and wife ran off with the developer

He is a good guy but not a pot to pizz in, gave him my hunting truck until he could buy some clapped out little Mazda. To his credit he has custody of his boys and they are excelling in our high school and sports. I take them out to the cabin and they love burning ammo thru the M4 and VZ858.

Forgive my rambling, trying to set the stage. The one rifle given to me that I kept for myself is a 1894 38-55 that serial #'s put it in1895/96 range with a 26" round barrel that belonged to my ex's grandpa. It is tight and surprisingly accurate, i pulled it out when we where loading up to go trap shooting and now he is all misty eyed over it. A couple BBQ's later and it still gets brought up over a scotch and cigar.

If he went and got his licences and his boys did, would you give it back? I was thinking of bypassing him and straight to the oldest boy but I'd have to buy them a safe etc. The thought of him selling it runs thru my brain but he knows I'd never speak to him again if he did.

Auto says Hell no, I was its custodian for over 25years and will it to his kids when I take the dirt map? But there is that saying "from warm hands". I'm leaning to giving him a chance if he takes the effort to get his licenses in order....

Dirk
Old 02-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
I'd probably let him use it on occasion, but I wouldn't give it to him. I like the idea of willing to the kids.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Mind the thorns

Margarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm with Autumn. Hell, no. His dad didn't see fit to give him the gun and this misty-eyed bringing the subject up sounds like manipulation to me.

Yes, I am suspicious, untrusting, don't believe in leopards changing their spots, and am very cautious about who I hand my firearms to.

Preserve the planet: repeal the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:38 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Not that one!

Maybe buy same model a few years newer and arrange all the paperwork to transfer.

If you go all softie, just be ready for some sorry story of how it got stolen, went down in a tragic canoeing accident or something.

Or can you trust him enough to make a deal, if money gets tight, he will sell it back to you and gives up any future rights to it?!?!

In current gun environment I'd hate to get rid of any I have scraped up money for. But there was the time I needed mufflers for the bike...sigh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 02-17-2018, 07:53 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
I'd have to agree with everyone else. He hasn't been back in your life long enough to trust him forever...

Kimber

Old 02-17-2018, 10:14 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Disclaimer: I'm the cynical paranoid type

I wouldn't let him touch it out of my sight

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 02-18-2018, 12:18 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'm reaching the age where I have put some thought into this process.

I have my grandfathers black powder, Damascus Twist double barrel shotgun.

I was given it for a reason.

Dated in the same time frame, it was the shotgun he had when he and Grandma took up housekeeping. It put many a meal on the table and I can't tell you how many turkeys at turkey shoots.

Needless to say, it means a lot to me.

Therein lies the problem.

It was given to me and I feel a steward's need to pass it along to someone in the family who would appreciate it. Or, maybe someone who deserves it and will cherish it.

I've had several of the "kids" from the next generation volunteer if I should decide to re home it. As soon as I hear that word, they are immediately off the list.

In your shoes, I would give it to his son before I would give it to him. Probably by willing it to him if he is not ready for it. It is a family heirloom and should stay in the family and be treated as such.

In this day and age, we cannot put it in a stone in the middle of the lake and only a worthy could draw it out.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 02-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post

Dated in the same time frame, it was the shotgun he had when he and Grandma took up housekeeping. It put many a meal on the table and I can't tell you how many turkeys at turkey shoots.

It was given to me and I feel a steward's need to pass it along to someone in the family who would appreciate it. Or, maybe someone who deserves it and will cherish it.

I've had several of the "kids" from the next generation volunteer if I should decide to re home it. As soon as I hear that word, they are immediately off the list.

In your shoes, I would give it to his son before I would give it to him. Probably by willing it to him if he is not ready for it. It is a family heirloom and should stay in the family and be treated as such.

In this day and age, we cannot put it in a stone in the middle of the lake and only a worthy could draw it out.
I agree with Dinero.

The ex's family's blood runs deeper in that rifle, due to generational ties, that it does from yours.

How cool would it be for the young man to hold and use, as his own, a rifle his great-grandfather owned?
Old 02-24-2018, 09:57 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
You could just avoid any conflict by sending it to me for safekeeping...

Oh man, my generous side is showing again. I'm a giver like that...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 03-01-2018, 09:23 AM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Thanks All, and especially Dinero for summing it all up so very well!! I will pass it on to his oldest son when I kick providing he keeps his poop in a group otherwise to my stepson (think of him as my son) where all the rest of the cache is going.....

Dirk

Appreciate the offer Dan.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post

Old 03-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Wise decision. The same decision I would have made. you are a wise man Dirk

I would have offered to be caretaker if nobody else had previously stepped up

BOB

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology

Last edited by Turbo Turtle; 03-02-2018 at 03:30 PM. Reason: because I can