Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > MotoCamping
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

MotoCamping A forum where we swap campground reviews, trip reports, equipment reviews, bike packing, safety, NF, SF, State and National Park reviews, blahblahblah...

Old 03-03-2010, 01:35 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Alaska Trip Planning Resource: The Milepost

If anyone is interested, The Milepost has a new website (well its new to me anyways,... but I don't think they've been online long). The link to the site's home page is here: http://milepost.com/

There are lots of great links and publications. Looks like the 2010 issue of The Milepost magazine is shipping now(?) It said shipping March 1, 2010, but it still says pre-order. For anyone that doesn't know, The Milepost magazine is like the bible for travel in Alaska. All kinds of great information if you're even remotely interested in traveling in Alaska in any point in time.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Thanks, Daryl. I bookmarked that site.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Great publication, that ride is in the game plan, just not planned yet. It would be great if we could get a bunch of us clowns together to make the trek.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:07 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper View Post
Great publication, that ride is in the game plan, just not planned yet. It would be great if we could get a bunch of us clowns together to make the trek.
Yeah it really would, Dave. That would be the bomb. Reality is that its an endeavor of pretty serious magnitude, though; I don't know how many would be willing to commit given that there are so many things to consider being gone that long. The other thing is deciding on a route that everyone could agree on.

If and when I go, it'll most likely be on a dual purpose bike and I'd ride the infamous Dalton Hwy north of the Arctic Circle all the way to its terminus at Prudhoe Bay, AK where the Arctic Ocean meets the North Slope. Camping all along the way, of course. I figure I'm probably only going to make that riding adventure once in my life, so I want to see and take in as much unmolested wilderness as I can. But that's just my idea. Naturally, everyone has different ideas, and some will want to stick strictly to paved roads and motels / B&B's etc, and see more "civilized" things,.... None of the other ideas are wrong; they're just different.

Personally, I keep on putting it off year after year, myself, because of other responsibilities (mainly work). If I put off too long, however, one of these days I'm just going to wake up in the morning and decide to go and to hell with everything else.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
, one of these days I'm just going to wake up in the morning and decide to go and to hell with everything else.
Well call me when you decide, I'll go.....I have wanted to do that trip all my life.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:23 AM
El Errante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper View Post
Well call me when you decide, I'll go.....I have wanted to do that trip all my life.
I will, Dave! Count on it.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:12 PM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Thanks Daryl. I know someone making that trip this year. He's gonna stop at Fairbanks though. The extra 1,000 mile round trip on gravel seemed like a bit much to him.

Engine by Otto.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'd love to take that trip, but I'd need something like a Buell Ulysses for it.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 AM
El Errante

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMiller View Post
Thanks Daryl. I know someone making that trip this year. He's gonna stop at Fairbanks though. The extra 1,000 mile round trip on gravel seemed like a bit much to him.
Completely understandable, Terry. From what I am reading in The Milepost, the Dalton Highway (aka: Haul Road) is part gravel (some of it in washboard condition), part chipseal, and part paved.

Although I usually have zero issues riding on dirt roads with my Road King, I wouldnt' want to make that extra 1000 mile round trip to Deadhorse, AK and back on it. I'm thinking dual sport bike with mesh headlight protector, rock guards on the handlebars, etc.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 AM
El Errante

Just received The Milepost on my doorstep yesterday. 785 pages of pretty well organized detail. Wow! Lots to dig into here.

Just a quick scan of this reference publication and the level of detail on the roads and conditions is incredible. The editors physically travel these roads and write road condition logs as they go. Very detailed and removable maps, etc. Gives you the critical information you need to know without marketing crap. Detailed down to GPS coordinates, and/or 10ths of mile on the mile markers.

The publication covers Alaska, Yukon Territory, British Columbia, Alberta, and Northwest Territories and the Alaska Marine Highway.