Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

Old 04-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Rear swing arm isolators.

I've been chasing a nagging vibration in the 'b' for way too long. The fairing shook and rattled, in my opinion, way too much. The fairing mounted mirrors were pretty much useless below 2K rpm. The 'b' suffered busted fairing brackets, too. Also, the footboards were a bit too tingly for my liking.

Symptoms pointed to a scissored crank, which the 'b' did have. The bottom end received TLC at Darkhorse Crankworks. The 88 incher went mild 95 at that time. Yet the naggy vibration persisted.

Previously, I had changed the front motor mount (Glide-Pro), checked the alignment (as best as I can), rehung the exhaust, changed the hanger isolators, all mostly to no avail.

I had grown tired of chasing the vibration. I understand that it's a Harley V-twin, and they do shimmy and shake. They ain't gonna be silky smooth. But still, I hate distracting vibrations.......

I recalled Mega chasing a similar vibration in his '05 Ultra. Heck, I saw it shake at Pony Tacos a few years ago. His bike shook worse than mine, even. Goodness came to Mega's bike when he had the rear swing arm isolators changed out.

So, as a last resort, I decided to do the same today. I replaced the stock isolators with standard Harley issue isolators, p/n 47564-86B, $42-ish each.

The 'b' shows 35,555 miles on the odometer.

Pics follow........

Right top.

Right bottom.

Left top.

Left bottom.

As you can see on the right set of pics, I had metal on metal contact between the isolator and the frame.

The left set had yet to show metal, but the rubber nibs had nearly worn to the bare metal point.

I took the 'b' for a 30-ish mile ride after the install.

Vibration-isolation is much improved. The fairing still shakes a bit below 2K, but not nearly as bad as before. Easily a 60-70% improvement.

The bars, however, have little, if any, vibration throughout normal rpm abuse.

Footboard vibration is nearly non-existent, and seemed to lessen as the bike warmed up. Or I'd gotten used to it.

It's been a spell since I spent quality saddle time on the 'b'. Like seven months worth........

I'm still gonna check the alignment and maybe take the 'b' back in for a bit of tune-tweakage.

R & R took like three hours. I had to remove the right side exhaust, as I'm running V & H True Duals. The 'b' also sports a TWR 'Missing Link' stabilizer, and there was no way I was gonna get that fancy aluminum swing arm bracket off without removing the exhaust on that side.

And I ain't never had one of these apart, so there was some head scratchin' along the way........

Overall, I'm pleased with the result.

I reckon the 'b' will remain part of the orbit fleet.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Mine is way overdue for replacement. I bought them. Just need to get to it.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Nice job Ken. Glad you got them changed out. They were needing to be changed.

Kimber

Old 04-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
Nice job Ken. Glad you got them changed out. They were needing to be changed.

Thanks for sharing your tips, Mike.

They helped to make the swap way easy!

Last edited by orbit; 04-05-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
All the glide pro crap is coming off mine this season. No amount of tweaking has resolved the fairing shake that accompanied the install.

Posted under duress using now-buggy FREE Tapatalk I previously paid for.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Pop off your outer fairing and check the upright brackets. Dollars will get you donuts that one of them (left side most likely) is cracked.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 04-05-2014, 06:22 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
When my fairing brackets (and before that my speaker brackets) let go, there was a noise that made it damned clear that something was broke in there.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I had a rough time trying to convince one of the motor officers I ride with that the rear motor mount /swing arm rubbers needed replacing on his '04 CVO.

Well starter was not catching every time and gettin worse and then his transmission started popping out of second on decelleration.

So he finally took it to an indy for work. The swing arm bushings were way past overdue.

Now it handles better than it ever did.

He also had a Hayden primary auto tensioner installed.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 04-05-2014, 07:36 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
guess I should check mine....sigh.....Nice Job!!

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 04-05-2014, 08:07 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
When my fairing brackets (and before that my speaker brackets) let go, there was a noise that made it damned clear that something was broke in there.
Mine just caused vibration and not noticeable noise.

Or, your hearing is better than mine.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 04-05-2014, 08:08 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
guess I should check mine....sigh.....Nice Job!!

Oh, heck, no need Chris. Remember when your belt let go and I mentioned that they may be the source of your vibration, and it'd just be the cost of parts to have them put in while the ass end of your bike was apart anyway? That Indy who can't torque a rear axle nut to save his ass told you they were fine...

Just breakin' balls. I hope the cupped front tire is where your vibration is comin' from.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:10 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Rear swing arm isolators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
Mine just caused vibration and not noticeable noise.

Or, your hearing is better than mine.

Maybe it's just where they broke, but I had some metal on metal sounds in there with the speaker mount when I hit bumps, and a way different buzz with the fairing bracket. Of course, all the roads here aren't smooth as glass like in Texas.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:22 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Maybe it's just where they broke, but I had some metal on metal sounds in there with the speaker mount when I hit bumps, and a way different buzz with the fairing bracket. Of course, all the roads here aren't smooth as glass like in Texas.

True.

But I did hit a bump the other day.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 04-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
Pop off your outer fairing and check the upright brackets. Dollars will get you donuts that one of them (left side most likely) is cracked.
They're the new and improved versions already.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
True.

But I did hit a bump the other day.
You mighta hit a horny toad!

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...