Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 02-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Iron View Post
It seems I underestimated the slippage. Had dry pavement after work yesterday, so headed to the Snoqualmie River valley for some spirited riding over hill and dale. 4th gear I could break loose at will, 5th was almost useless, 6th, not even funny.

By the time I got back up and out of the valley, I do believe I smoked the clutch and fluid pretty well. Smelled and sounded like it anyway. So, Alto Carbonites and heavy Barnett spring on the way. If that doesn't work I'll pop for the Sportsman. Que sera...
Yeah, but ain't it cool having that power on tap.
I know, I'm looking at the Sportsman myself. The Scorpion I have now works very well, but I'm looking to future-proof a bit.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 02-18-2016, 02:09 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
I anticipate an early to mid week revival of the dirtiest scoot in all of Arkansas.

BOB
Here ya go, should be there Saturday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.4 KB, 81 views)

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 02-18-2016, 09:09 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
the Snoqualmie River valley for some spirited riding over hill and dale. ...
I remember that road very well. Use to spend winter days duck hunting at two of the state game management units in Stillwater and Cherry Valley.

Kimber

Old 02-18-2016, 11:54 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
Here ya go, should be there Saturday
Ricky, don't let anyone tell you you aren't the man
I can't thank you enough for your efforts, and the forethought of the local indy

Dirty Scoot will be breathing new life very soon.

BOB

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 02-19-2016, 08:05 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
I remember that road very well. Use to spend winter days duck hunting at two of the state game management units in Stillwater and Cherry Valley.
Yep, when you get away from the city and explore the boonies, there are tons of great twisty 2 lanes around here.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:21 AM
Known Associate

Inspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thoughtInspector 12 is less annoying than we originally thought
Quote:
It seems I underestimated the slippage. Had dry pavement after work yesterday, so headed to the Snoqualmie River valley for some spirited riding over hill and dale. 4th gear I could break loose at will, 5th was almost useless, 6th, not even funny.

By the time I got back up and out of the valley, I do believe I smoked the clutch and fluid pretty well. Smelled and sounded like it anyway. So, Alto Carbonites and heavy Barnett spring on the way. If that doesn't work I'll pop for the Sportsman. Que sera...
On my dyna with the SE 120R engine in it I went with SE Kevlar plates, SE diaphragm, new steels, AIM billet pressure plate and AIM variable pressure clutch. Net result reasonable clutch pull, yet sticks like glue when it needs to (this bike makes big tq early in the rpm scale).
Old 02-19-2016, 10:53 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
With the lower end still assembled, and the primary still attached, I put the bike in neutral and rotated the crank by hand. Looking for any points where the rods were not easily moved for/aft. Checked this at numerous points of rotation. Never did I feel any tightness. Crank measured runout was .006.

That will be the next step. Without removing the inner cam bearings they APPEAR intact. Gerotors were very bad.

Only thing I know now is something went through the motor on my way home from Texas when I was coming through eastern Kentucky about 2:00 am. By the time I got home and rode it over to a friends shop the knocking was much worse. When I got home pulled the oil drain plug and found metal pieces on the plug magnet.

Not saying this was the cause, but I was just a tad hard on the bike the way I was riding in the hill country, and then again when in the hills of northern Arkansas on the way home with Mikey and Bob.
I was pushing mine as hard as I could, but compared to you and Bob my bike was just out for a Sunday ride ....

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 02-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Bob, tracking says it's Out for Delivery right now.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 02-23-2016, 01:28 AM
Augmented

Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
Bob, tracking says it's Out for Delivery right now.
That's what it said Saturday as well. Cam plate and related parts showed up this afternoon. The oil pump area of the plate looks much better than mine. Thanks again Ricky.
I also had a positive interview for a different department at the same University I used to work for.
If hired, I'll have amassed 3 days vacation and 3 days sick leave by ES. My perspective supervisor just bought his first Harley a year ago.

BOB

Old 02-23-2016, 08:31 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
If hired, I'll have amassed 3 days vacation and 3 days sick leave by ES. My perspective supervisor just bought his first Harley a year ago.

BOB
Sweet. Good luck

Kimber

Old 02-23-2016, 11:06 AM
Doof Clenas Member

albundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sockalbundy doesn't need a tube sock
MIke just curious to know if your rocker shaft bolts have score marks on them,where the shafts rock back and forth.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:25 AM
Augmented

Quote:
Originally Posted by albundy View Post
MIke just curious to know if your rocker shaft bolts have score marks on them,where the shafts rock back and forth.
I noticed the smallest bit of a mark on mine. I also just ordered the rockout.biz pieces to help fill that potential void. Mine are getting a bit noisy in their advanced age.

BOB

Old 02-23-2016, 03:03 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
MIke just curious to know if your rocker shaft bolts have score marks on them
I found only faint marks on one of mine and addressed it by tapping and set-screwing each of the shafts to lock them. (I have pictures, somewhere.) I did have a very annoying intermittent ticking that occurred only at 2500-3300 RPM, but only sometimes. That ticking went AWAY after this fix.

Quote:
My prospective supervisor just bought his first Harley a year ago. BOB
Now THAT is the best "in" to have , right there!
Soon, he'll be needing a wrench, don't ya know!

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 02-23-2016, 03:58 PM
Original Delinquent

Quote:
Yes, there were faint marks visible. As Turbo, I'm also going to install the Rockout Rocker Lockers when it goes back together. Already received them. Lots of good reviews, extremely quick shipping and for $15.00 how can it not be a no brainer. Lots of good reviews from those who have already installed them.

Kimber

Old 02-23-2016, 07:04 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Set screws.. about two bucks.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod