Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Headers & Exhaust
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-05-2015, 05:16 PM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Should I?

I currently have the exhaust off of the bike, and I'm thinking of cutting the catalytic converter out - I know it reduces the heat, but are there any negatives to doing this? Not planning on a tune or anything like that, just cut it out and reinstall the pipes. Stock 2009 FLHTC.

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 04-05-2015, 05:54 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Where are the 02 bungs on the '09?

If they are near the side transmission mount, close to one-another, I have read about them crosstalking when the stock header is de-catted.

Get a set of aftermarket pipes if you want to lose the cat....

My 2 cents.
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 04-05-2015, 08:02 PM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The O2 bungs are up near the heads - not close at all. Might look at new pipes for next year, just thought about doing this since the pipes are off anyway.

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 04-05-2015, 08:29 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Should I?

Yes, do it. The reduction in excess heat is enough reason to do it. There will also be a slight decrease in restriction that will allow for better flow and a slight increase in performance. The difference is about the same as switching to a high flow air cleaner. It's not enough to require a tuner.

EDIT: in a chat last year with the guy at Fullsac, he said that the cat removal was good (on the dyno) for 1-1/2 to 2 hp.... Whereas switching to his head pipe was worth about 4hp. (natch)
There's a thread with pics here somewhere; I cut a "door" in the collector to get the cat and I like that a whole lot better than lopping the end off to do it.
The stuff doesn't just crumble and fall out of there, you have to get pretty damned rude with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 04-09-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:57 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I would do it. Cut an "access window" on the back side.
Might need hammer and chisel or carefully use a zip gun.
The catalyst is kinda tough. Line up cut out piece with
magnets for welding.

O2 sensors should adjust tune back to where it is now.
Good luck.

Use a thin cut off wheel to cut access hole.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:09 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The '09 pipes are the best to do what you want to do. With the bungs up near the port there is no chance of crosstalk. Don't expect a noticeable performance gain, but you will lose some of the heat. If you're not planning any other changes you should be fine, the stock tune will adapt. It probably will be a little louder, but that is dependant on which mufflers you have.

I did some testing on the 2010 and later headers with the cast and then removed the cat. It made a slight difference in flow based on the change in VE's. They really aren't as restrictive as they look

As Ricky pointed out, they don't come out easily. I cut the pipe in half, then drilled a whole lot of holes with a 1/2 inch bit, and still had to use a hanger and chisel to get it out. Made a nasty mess too.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Here's the thread with pics of the destruction.

A couple of notes to update that thread:
1.) the pipe I was working on was a factory 2:1 but it is identical to the normal 2:1:2 except for the outlet.
b2.) I later switched to the D&D 2:1 and finally to the Drago. HIGHLY recommend.
34.) The Drago comes with both types of O2 bungs, and plugs for the ones you don't need.
43.) I did install the PV and wideband with each set of pipes.
17q.) Russ DID change cams AND head gaskets on his "stock" Ultra...
43a.) Mine was faster.
25R624.) The factory 2:1 pipe is now on the Road King and it's freakishly quiet.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 04-09-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Hangaround

Bishop has failed to amuse us
Just tossing out an option if you haven't seen it.

I thought about decatting my stock header too but found these and decided it was a fair price to save the hassle.

Put them on last week without any major problems. The bracket on the crossover didn't line up but both pipes bolt under the trans so it's all solid without. Also, it comes with a chrome clamp that you want to throw away.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: A couple of Mega's...
HiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suckHiTekRedneck can happily embrace the suck
Kill the cat.... Makes a big difference...