Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > ATVs, Dirt Bikes and Schtuff
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

ATVs, Dirt Bikes and Schtuff For those of you who like to do it in the dirt

Old 03-31-2010, 02:53 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
2 Stroke vs 4 Stroke Dirt bikes

I haven't kept up with dirt bikes at all since back in the day, but why has the industry virtually given up on 2 stroke engines vs 4 stroke engines. Was it because they started water cooling the 4 strokes and getting more power per cc?

Old 03-31-2010, 02:56 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
E. P. A.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:59 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
E. P. A.
On dirt (motocross) bikes? They still make 2 stroke snowmobiles and such, don't they? 2 stroke jet skiis and outboard motors even....

Old 03-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Jet skis and outboards are converting also. Not sure about snowmobiles, two strokes are said to work better in the cold. I still love the ring dingers, myself.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Parks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sock
EPA mostly...torque is better on 4's.

Time to Nut up, or Shut up. -Tallahassee
Old 03-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Enzyte Bob

Mercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographicMercury is not in AOL's target demographic
My son raced MX for 15 years. I love the simplicity and cost of the 2 stroke. Due to the EPA, the AMA re-aligned class structure and let you run I believe 525cc four stroke in the 250 class. That was waaaay to much, so they cut it back to 450cc in the 250 class. They let ya get away with 250cc of four stroke in the 125 class, and 150cc vs the 80cc's. It's not that they are more powerful, but there is no replacement for displacement. They just overwhelm with extra cc's.

*2007 FXSTC 103*
103+ Heads, 50mm Throttle Body, Andrews 54 H Cams
PC 111, Rinehart 2 into 1's
108 HP 112 FP/T SAE
43 ft/lbs of Doof
Built by Me
Tuned by Jesse @ 41 Cycles
I am Bob

+

The Square Root of 1849 is...

If anyone is interested in time travel, meet me last Tuesday at the Ga 43 sign.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Doof Cadet

Last Cigar Smoked: don't smoke no friggin ceegars
knuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sock
Yup the E P A, bleep bleep bleep,etc, No point in real political discourse here

Doofbag Fer EverI smell Fish
Old 03-31-2010, 05:25 PM
Keeper - Awful Secret

rangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milk
Snowmobiles are converting, too. YNP has banned two-stroke engines for two or three seasons now.

Not a sledder, but friends who are are going the 4-stroke route unless they're serious hi-markers.

Jay
Old 03-31-2010, 05:52 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Won't be long ( may already be too late ) before you can't buy a new 2 stroke outboard in the U.S. However, last new outboard I bought was a 4 stroke Merc. I was pleasantly surprised that it was just as good out of the hole as any 2 stroke I'd had. Troll all day and never load up and great on gas.

Plus it was very quiet. You could scoot along at 5500 RPM and visit with folks in the boat and not raise your voice.

I don't miss the 2 stroke outboards at all.

Greg
Old 03-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Daryl, I hear the 4 stroke Hondas and such are really powerful, fast and reliable. 2 strokes sure were fun. I wish I still had my Penton Six Day Trials bike. That Sachs engine was pretty reliable for me, crazy design though.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:59 PM
Known Associate

P 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowP 0 P E Y E has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Two stroke outboard engines are still available. In recent years, the new models have been coming out with beter fuel/oil mixture management systems.

the old engines were 50:1 oil and gas mixed in the tank. This ratio was needed for flat out -wide open operation. At low speeds, the engines ran rich and did not burn all the oil.

The new big outboard engines vary the oil injection on demand...less polution, quieter operation and a beter power to weight ratio.

Two strokes use more gas and in this day and age, The howels are even pinching pennys

] G A Z I N T A S Doofspicible............

CT-7, MA-7, NY-7, CT-43, MA-43, NY-43
Old 03-31-2010, 08:23 PM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I owned a old Kawi 750 three cylinder 2 stroke back in the mid 70s, it flew like a bullet and smoked like an old steel mill. 2 strokes burn out to quick, I use to wear them things out in one season. But they sure ran good..
Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Iron View Post
Won't be long ( may already be too late ) before you can't buy a new 2 stroke outboard in the U.S. However, last new outboard I bought was a 4 stroke Merc. I was pleasantly surprised that it was just as good out of the hole as any 2 stroke I'd had. Troll all day and never load up and great on gas.

Plus it was very quiet. You could scoot along at 5500 RPM and visit with folks in the boat and not raise your voice.

I don't miss the 2 stroke outboards at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 0 P E Y E View Post
Two stroke outboard engines are still available. In recent years, the new models have been coming out with beter fuel/oil mixture management systems.

the old engines were 50:1 oil and gas mixed in the tank. This ratio was needed for flat out -wide open operation. At low speeds, the engines ran rich and did not burn all the oil.

The new big outboard engines vary the oil injection on demand...less polution, quieter operation and a beter power to weight ratio.

Two strokes use more gas and in this day and age, The howels are even pinching pennys

My brother re-motored his 27' Black Fin prior to last season and went from 2 stroke to 4 and said it was a good move. They are much more fuel efficient, quieter and still put out plenty of power.

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 03-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Two strokes have advantages in two basic areas: power per pound and power per CC (or physical size of the whole package) And they have a related advantage in having fewer parts. The four stroke wins every other category in the general sense and small advances in design have produced large changes in a few areas for each. The pollution issues are driving the two strokes out more than anything and primarily through regulation.
Market forces are the other big force due to the terrible fuel efficiency of the twos.
Two-strokes eat too much fuel, make too much noise, smoke too much and wear out too soon. But they're powerful and lightweight.
Water cooling is really a seperate issue that has roughly the same pros/cons regardless of Otto cycle variant.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
Ossa......Bultaco.........Montesa........all gone. I'd love to have a state of the art 4 cycle dirt bike. That would be my preference, if I had the scratch. Dirt is good clean fun!

Ich bin Sven Hoek.