Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Seats, Saddles, Pillions, Backrests, Luggage Racks & Paks
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
Those are some sweet bags. the phantom nipples they offer raised an eyebrow...

I am thinking I might try a modified suggestion about using the backrest bracket upside down.
I am thinking that if I remove the bolts holding the removable backrest ports and get longer ones, I can get replacement ports (the plastic parts 2 fronts and 2 rears) from the dealer.
I will then add a rear port to the front locations and a front port to the rear locations so that neither will be too obtrusive (won't stick out too far) then mount them with the new bolts.
The purpose for this is that I would be able to use the backrest as intended and I can use the saddlebags with or without the backrest and everything will be secure. I will need to get a pair of locking clamps like what is on the Backrest brackets. The locking levers will be at the front of the brackets, not the rear like on the backrest.
I am gonna go to my old boss at the fab shop to get him to burn a pair of Stainless brackets to mount the saddlebags(1 Left, 1 Right). The dotted lines are bend marks to offset it a bit and to stiffen the brackets. The rectangular parts are backing plates for inside the bags. I didn't draw mounting holes for the bags yet, I don't know where they should be located.

Comments? Concerns? let me know.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SB Brackets.jpg (16.7 KB, 137 views)

Old 04-22-2008, 05:59 AM
gAZINTAs

majikman has failed to amuse us
I wish I had thought of that before I bougth the Easy Brackets for my Lowrider. Never did like the setup and it was as a PITA to get the locks functioning properly.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 AM
The Molenator

CDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glassesCDouthitt looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetoys View Post
Those are some sweet bags. the phantom nipples they offer raised an eyebrow...

I am thinking I might try a modified suggestion about using the backrest bracket upside down.
I am thinking that if I remove the bolts holding the removable backrest ports and get longer ones, I can get replacement ports (the plastic parts 2 fronts and 2 rears) from the dealer.
I will then add a rear port to the front locations and a front port to the rear locations so that neither will be too obtrusive (won't stick out too far) then mount them with the new bolts.
The purpose for this is that I would be able to use the backrest as intended and I can use the saddlebags with or without the backrest and everything will be secure. I will need to get a pair of locking clamps like what is on the Backrest brackets. The locking levers will be at the front of the brackets, not the rear like on the backrest.
I am gonna go to my old boss at the fab shop to get him to burn a pair of Stainless brackets to mount the saddlebags(1 Left, 1 Right). The dotted lines are bend marks to offset it a bit and to stiffen the brackets. The rectangular parts are backing plates for inside the bags. I didn't draw mounting holes for the bags yet, I don't know where they should be located.

Comments? Concerns? let me know.

[IMG]http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/attachment.php?
attachmentid=9482&stc=1&d=1208843484[/IMG]
Wanna make two of these?

Clint
Bikeless

I'm a Doof, and Damn Proud of it!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:01 AM
KTWillys

Hey Blue if you can keep us posted I would like to see how this works out.
I am looking for idea's for my sons FXDWG and I think you have a good idea going here....

thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Boss bags are nice and the brackets look OK too. A bit pricey! I'm a
cheap bastage.

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Original Cat Herder KC.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDouthitt View Post
Wanna make two of these?
well, there is a left and a right....

But i understood what you meant

I will post up later if it works correctly, and a parts list.

Last edited by Bluetoys; 04-22-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:12 AM
A Delinquent by Birth

SLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sock
And maybe order a few sets of those brackets if they work as well as they look like they will

Old 04-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

I have hit a roadblock. The clamping deal on the backrest is not available separately from HD, the parts guy says. I can buy a locking one with a "key", but it is intended for the left side only and costs 32.95 for one (46063-98) or two keyed alike for 59.95 (46106-00). I dunno if that is 2 left side ones, I would guess so. The docking ports are available individually, but at a cost that is only a few dollars less than the kit. (37.00 vs 42.00)
I am not sure what I want to do about this. If one of you guys has an old detach backrest you want to get rid of, at a price that would be a better deal than buying these things from HD, please let me know. A used one can be broken or missing some parts, just not the latching parts.
I am planing to go through with this idea, it looks like at this point the hardware (buying it from HD) will cost around 100.00 plus tax. A rough guess from my old boss has the bracket fabrication at about 50.00 for the pair. Most of that is the program set-up for the burn table, the next set would be affordable.
This is getting spendy, right at the cost of the easy brackets, but I think it would look cleaner and work well. One guy I told this about had concerns about the bags flapping in and out as I rode, what do you guys think? I think it would not be too much movement.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:19 PM
8-Ball

That is going to be two left sides... I bought the keyed one and it replaced the left side. You only need one side to lock. The pair is if you want to lock two different accessories with the same key.

I just looked mine and I don't see how you could use the left on the right side.

PM Mega, he knows someone who can get "unavailable" parts... just sayin'...

The Ghost brackets flap in the wind... any bag that isn't supported in some way at the bottom is going to flap, unless it is a wet drooping rag of a bag in the first place or has some spring tension on it that holds it against an arm at or near the bottom... this is what bossbags does.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/quick...ayphotohosting
Old 04-22-2008, 05:52 PM
GrayRider

This is gonna be like the sure fire diet, isn't..simplicity lost on over thinking.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Double-D
I am Doof

PM sent, I got nothing...