Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

Old 04-30-2008, 09:24 PM
8-Ball

I ain't done yet... and it hasn't been thoroughly checked either... so beware...

Terry... I'll stick it... thanks.

Paul... thanks... no sense checking it until its done... trying to be careful...
Old 04-30-2008, 09:30 PM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Very cool...

But when's the 2007 Softail version coming out?

From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Keep in mind Mike, I do not throw a TQ wrench on a lot of the stuff you have on that list. Wheels, Axle stuff, Engine covers, front end parts, yes. Exhaust parts nope, not even the header flange nuts. It's a feel thing. Now Rick should use a TQ wrench on anything he works on.
I will save it every now and then to get the latest and greatest.
Most of the common stuff is the same and has been since Shovelhead days. Steel screws holding on aluminum covers screwed into Aluminum cases take the same TQ on all bikes.
Dry TQ values come down to screw type and size and material it is screwed into. Common sense goes a long way in determining if a TQ value is right or wrong.

Mike your chart is great tool, a single print out of a few pages and you have it all.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryMiller View Post
I'd hate to lose it after ya did all that work.
Do I need to double check this?
Old 05-01-2008, 02:30 AM
8-Ball

I tightened a screw holding a J-clamp on part of a wire harness by feel... its a start...

I painted the screw though... so there is that...

I know a lot of these things you can't even get a torque wrench on, but its in the manual, so I'm including it.

I'll probably add the tranny and power flow torque section to it and other stuff that is hard to find along with the page number for the torque sequence... wastes a lot of time looking that crap up, especially when you don't know what its called in the first place and the manual has it grouped with something that you aren't familiar with... Had a helluva time finding the exhaust bracket torque... didn't realize it was the transmission cover bolts...

serk... I haven't checked it yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
Keep in mind Mike, I do not throw a TQ wrench on a lot of the stuff you have on that list. Wheels, Axle stuff, Engine covers, front end parts, yes. Exhaust parts nope, not even the header flange nuts. It's a feel thing. Now Rick should use a TQ wrench on anything he works on.
I will save it every now and then to get the latest and greatest.
Most of the common stuff is the same and has been since Shovelhead days. Steel screws holding on aluminum covers screwed into Aluminum cases take the same TQ on all bikes.
Dry TQ values come down to screw type and size and material it is screwed into. Common sense goes a long way in determining if a TQ value is right or wrong.

Mike your chart is great tool, a single print out of a few pages and you have it all.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
THANK YOU!! I've taken to looking things up and writing the torque values in my parts manual as I go along. This was a lot of work - nice job!
Old 05-24-2008, 05:33 PM
8-Ball

Added a Critical Fasteners Only List to post #1....
Old 05-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Obsidian
Stone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withStone Cold is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I'd get one, but as long as you have it, I'm covered....

"Keeping a candle lit"

"RIP Butkus"
2002-2006

Danger: Propane
Keep Back 200 Feet
Old 05-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Type O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMan View Post
Very cool...

i missed the 92 ultra version .guess ill keep using the book

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 10-10-2008, 04:44 PM
8-Ball

Updated Post #1...

Added some improvements and a couple more torque specifications.

Both files have been updated.

That is all...

Last edited by 8-Ball; 10-10-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Casaba

Thanks Mike, first time i've seen this
Old 10-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Autococker07

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMan View Post
Very cool...

What he said

Great Job Mike... I wish I wasn't too lazy to build one LOL Then again, I tend to just torque it till It breaks, go buy another fastener drill, remove, tap and torque just a LEETLE looser... oh, and LIBERAL use of locktite
Old 10-10-2008, 06:31 PM
really big member

Jonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJonas is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
THANKS!!!! First time I saw it to. Just printed it out.

Nice Work

JONAS

Sherlyn Popelka, Fugitive, Aggravated Assault, Golf, DUI

USMC 82-88
Semper Fi, PGRider
2004 Road King