Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Remodeling or Building
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Remodeling or Building Got a project going or finished... Got a question...

Old 02-09-2019, 11:53 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The Cubby is No More

Some of you are familiar with the “almost one car garage” at my house that I had turned into a dedicated motorcycle shop since a real car couldn’t go in there... I dubbed it the Cubby (cubbyhole) as it was not worthy of “garage”.
I even imbedded an in-ground MC lift and the place has been my repair and modification (and belt replacement) location for going on ten years. Lots of tinkering and memories in the Cubby, but since I built the new shop out back, it is now time to repurpose the Cubby by turning it into a proper room of the house.
The goal is now to (properly) wall up the space, insulation, siding, Tyvek, wiring, AC ducting, etc and carpet on the concrete floor. There will remain a step down into the room and I’ll be removing the Best Way floor lift and patching its hole.
Fun, eh?
I did discover, after removing the shelving and everything else from the Cubby, that a car really *will* fit inside.... not a real car, just a Mini, but it served as proof of concept. Just in time for elimination of that use permanently.
Some then/now pics:

Temporary weather boarding.
And in the distance, the reason that the Cubby is now redundant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 02-09-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:54 PM
Double-D

Sweet Pea can happily embrace the suckSweet Pea can happily embrace the suckSweet Pea can happily embrace the suckSweet Pea can happily embrace the suckSweet Pea can happily embrace the suckSweet Pea can happily embrace the suckSweet Pea can happily embrace the suckSweet Pea can happily embrace the suckSweet Pea can happily embrace the suckSweet Pea can happily embrace the suckSweet Pea can happily embrace the suck
Looks to be a big job, but of course, we know you got this. You are awesome

Old 02-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
I've been in the Cubby. Looking good my friend!

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:15 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
My bike has been in the Cubby a couple of times.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 02-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
I waz in da cubby once ....... Lookin good Ricky !!!!!

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 02-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Ricky, is that a new floor? Wasn't the floor in pretty bad shape at one point?

I haven't been in the Cubby in years.

Hardest part was likely moving that monster tool box to the shop out back.

Kimber

Old 02-09-2019, 05:57 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
For a long while I thought I would retain the Cubby for bike stuff but EVERY TIME I try to do anything in the shop OR in the Cubby I have to
Make multiple trips to and fro because some tool or implement is in the other location. It just drives me batty.
Just recently (Thanksgiving) I decided to convert the horrid little laundry room into a proper and presentable laundry *and full bath.* that project took over the Cubby for material storage and work space.
While it was still full o’ crap after the bath remodel was complete I needed to work on the bike. So I took the time to make an adapter to use the two-post car lift to work with the bike. It worked well, so now the Cubby became truly redundant.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 02-09-2019, 06:02 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

The Cubby is No More

The floor was badly broken concrete until I got ready to do the lift. At that time I jack-hammered it all out then formed up for the lift recess and poured a new floor, at a higher level than the original.

The box move wasn’t too bad as I had a roll-back trailer and a little winch. Piece o’ cake.
Without that equipment it would have been beastly.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 02-09-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:55 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Awesome!

I love that adapter for the car lift arm.

Wish I had seen this before I was drummed out of the CHP Auto Service Man corp.

That is awesome! Some tie down points, between the bike and adapter, in case of Murphy coming around...

(I am currentlu lopped, forgive any speling erroes)

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 02-09-2019, 11:35 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Hella cool scooter lift you got there. I'm looking to build on some property just outside the city/county within this year. Four car capacity is my goal. keep one space available for friends and weekend side income.

BOB

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 02-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Being how you state the house attached garage is very small.

When was the house and the garage built?

I have been in some houses that were built post WW II and in the fifties and those suckers were small / narrow. And the cars of the era were not small / narrow.
I have seen garages that were built Model T / A era and I can understand why they were so narrow / small. Ever see a bare Model T frame? not much wider than a twin bed frame...

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 02-10-2019, 11:53 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

The Cubby is No More

Well the reason for the tiny garage (15x13) is because originally the house was too small (1300) but the garage was normal @ about 22x28 with two doors, two cars and utility area. Since then various owners have changed things, rearranging room sizes and purposes and eventually consuming the garage as new bedrooms. The place was originally 2-1-2 1300 with a stupid 33x14 living room. By the time I bought it there had been a bath added in (stolen from) part of a bedroom (now a tiny bedroom or 'office') and a large bedroom was added, stolen from the garage space. After that change the garage was about 22wx15d and already useless for cars. The place was 2/3-2-1, 1430.
I immediately sectioned the 'grand hall' LR by adding a wall and creating a BR. Making it 3/4-2-1, 1430. The trend continued as I added another BR from the garage (leaving the Cubby)
I recently redid the laundry into a full bath/laundry so now (for those keeping score) it's 4/5-3-1, 1800.
At this point I'm about to close in the Cubby creating a den/game room/bedroom whatever. This will add the last available unconditioned space to the conditioned space, such that the place will officially be "5/6br-3b, 2000sf. 4car detached".
Yes the bedrooms are necessarily smallish but they're plentiful!
If the kids move out it will be ridiculous, all the rooms....
And also, taxes go up and my next AC unit will be much larger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 02-10-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:07 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Whoot!

One of my SMH things is that people plant landscape trees that will grow to 3 ft around and 30 - 40 feet tall.

One to two feet from one of the outside walls.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 02-10-2019, 06:18 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
"If" the kids move out. Good choice not to say "when".

Unfortunately we're in the same boat. Going on 5 years since I lost my downstairs bath, spare bedroom, office and man cave.

Kimber

Old 02-10-2019, 11:38 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

I quit saying 'when' back when they moved back IN! However, Alexa just graduated Mech Engineering and starts her new job (intern) *Tomorrow* so there's that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod