Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Electrical Systems & Diagnostics
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Electrical Systems & Diagnostics Troubleshoot electrical problems here.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Keeper - Awful Secret

rangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milk
Need a little enlightenment...

...on battery tenders/charging.

I have had a couple guys tell me that the newer tenders have a pulse charging system that treats the AGM and gel mat batteries a lot better (sulfation, mainly). I have an older Battery Tender Jr. and a real old HD tender, one of the old Deltran tin-top types. I buy MoCo batteries, usually get 4-5 years out of them on the Ultra; unsure about my FXDL because I haven't had it as long.

I've looked online at several sites but don't see anything that suggests I should really swap gear for the newer batteries. Dealer here says their tender types haven't changed.

Somebody set me straight on this?

Jay
Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 AM
R.I.P.
chemo toddy

y2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milk
all i know is i've got two tender jr's, one old and one newer. one is hooked to my bike and the other is hooked to my lawn tractor and they both work.

when i was in fl, i had to keep one on my jeep cause i always rode the bike.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:44 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I don't use them, and have had no problems.

Replaced the battery on the 2000 phatboy, was original.
Put it in my neighbors ultra. Still working fine after this summer.

Have not had issues with the 2007 ultra. They will be hibernating
until prolly March something. Turn the key, and hit the switch.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 AM
I Like Dirt...!

Last Cigar Smoked: BubbleGum
Xkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suckXkvator can happily embrace the suck
Call Deltran and ask them if the newer ones are any different...i've heard their cust. svs. is great...

I like the Deltran Plus(3-stage)...have them on bikes, mowers, and equipment...my skidsteer battery is 10 years old...

I bought a Yuasa(5-stage) a couple years ago, and it quit workin'...

Some Mornings I Wake Up Grouchy.....others, I Let Her Sleep

Old 11-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Excommunicated

Bofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I dunnknow... but straight from the website:

SuperSmart® Battery Tender®

Many of the same features as the Global Battery Charger, but smaller and more economical. It's better than a trickle charger, because of the "smart" feature that turns itself on and off as needed, so your battery never overcharges. Accepts North American voltage (120V), supplied with 2-prong unpolarized plug. Output is 12 VDC @ 750 mA. Charger output leads are equipped with quick disconnect black connectors. Compatible with the alligator clip charging harness (included) and the optional 7.5 Amp Battery Charging Harness with ring terminals (not included).
Old 11-10-2008, 11:54 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
I didn't know there was a difference either. Both mine seem to work fine.
I'll have to look into this.

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Old 11-10-2008, 12:01 PM
2005 HD FLHTi

Kfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKfengler is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Thumbs up

I have two of the Battery Tender Plus 12V @ 1.25A

My experience with them:

One is about 15 years old, the other I bought this past summer.

The older one I used on Dyna WG for almost 10 years, (replace the battery once) then used it on my EG for 3 winters, with no problems. The older one is now used on my wife's bike, and I use the newer one on my EG.

Never had any issues with them...

BTW I found a place where I git the last one for $42 shipped.

~"IF YOU CAN'T IMPROVE ON SILENCE, KEEP QUIET" ...couch Lou~

"Getting There Beats Being There"
FLHTi
* 95" by Carl from Boise Cycle
CHECK OUT MY WEBSHOT ALBUMS...

Old 11-10-2008, 12:05 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfengler View Post

My experience with them:

The older one I used on Dyna WG for almost 10 years, (replace the battery once) then used it on my EG for 3 winters, with no problems. The older one is now used on my wife's bike, and I use the newer one on my EG.

Do share

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Old 11-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Excommunicated

Bofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
4. How is the Battery Tender Plus battery charger different from a trickle charger?

The Battery Tender Plus battery charger delivers 1.25 amperes during bulk charge mode, holds the battery charge voltage constant at 14.4 VDC during absorption charge mode until the battery charge current drops to 0.1 amperes at which time it then automatically switches to a float charge mode. During float charge mode, the output voltage of the Battery Tender Plus battery charger is 13.2 VDC, which is well below the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. This keeps the battery topped off, while minimizing any detrimental effects to do gassing. The Battery Tender Plus battery charger is able to perform these complex switching functions because its electronic circuitry is controlled by an on board microprocessor.

Although they often appear to be a better economic choice for the typical consumer, trickle chargers do not have the advantage of sophisticated electronic control. Therefore, as they allow the value of charge current to trickle down to what appears to be safe levels, the output voltage of the charger rises well above 15 VDC, sometimes even going higher that 16 VDC depending on the charger type and the battery that is connected to it. Either voltage is well above the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. If the battery remains connected to this high level of voltage for an extended period of time, even less than 1 day, extreme damage can be done to the battery. What appears to be a cost savings for the charger may actually cost several times the charger price in replacement batteries.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:23 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

.Thanx Jimbo, that was very informative.

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Old 11-10-2008, 01:38 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

hornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowhornrocker has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I actually have a Schumacher Charger/Maintainer:

Mine

Actually went to Advance Auto across the street from my house last year, and got it for $24.95.... it works great

Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Keeper - Awful Secret

rangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milkrangerider stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfengler View Post

My experience with them:

Thanks for the replys guys; my old H-D charger looks exactly like this one except with the company logo on. Still works fine and it's pretty old. I was just suspicious because some companies will reinvent the wheel with technical terms so they can sell you a new item.

Jay