Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Book Reviews
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Book Reviews Read a good one..or bad one. Tell us about it here.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:32 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Honky Tonk Samurai

Joe R. Lansdale, author of the Hap and Leonard series of novels, was interviewed on NPR a few weeks back.

Honky Tonk Samurai is his latest release. I enjoyed the interview, so I researched Mr. Lansdale and his book a bit and ended up buying a copy.

It was a real good story, so good, in fact, that it was hard to put the book down. It was pretty easy to knock out 140 or so pages a night, so it didn't take long to read the 340-ish pages.

I don't read nearly as much as I should. However, I do enjoy a good story that entertains. This novel does both. I highly recommend it!

I look forward to reading the other adventures of Hap and Leonard!

Old 03-24-2016, 07:49 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'll have to look into that.

Thanks...

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 03-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Mind the thorns

Margarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Genre?

Preserve the planet: repeal the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:46 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita View Post
Genre?
Crime primarily.

In Honky Tonk Samurai, they've been hired to find a missing person.

The case turns out to be the tip of a much larger iceberg.

The Hap and Len series is based in East Texas.

Last edited by orbit; 03-24-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:06 AM
Pompous Prick

Last Cigar Smoked: Punch maduro
Slick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milkSlick stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit View Post
Crime primarily.

In Honky Tonk Samurai, they've been hired to find a missing person.

The case turns out to be the tip of a much larger iceberg.

The Hap and Len series is based in East Texas.
I call bullshit on the East Texas part. Apparently the characters only go by their first name. Anyone who's been to East Texas knows that doesn't happen there.

Curt

Old 03-24-2016, 10:52 AM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
His home page is the Orbit.

http://www.joerlansdale.com/

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 03-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Mind the thorns

Margarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMargarita has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'll go in search of the books. We're always on the lookout for books that have honest to goodness plots and interesting characters. One of the local Wyoming writers has a series about a game warden crime solver that is very popular here. The main character is not afraid to show his sensitive side, though, and until he cowboys the hell up, I'm avoiding the series.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Bon vivant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
His home page is the Orbit.

http://www.joerlansdale.com/
Yes.

Yes it is!

Old 03-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
I'll go in search of the books. We're always on the lookout for books that have honest to goodness plots and interesting characters. One of the local Wyoming writers has a series about a game warden crime solver that is very popular here. The main character is not afraid to show his sensitive side, though, and until he cowboys the hell up, I'm avoiding the series.
Joe waz his name?

I filled my lack of Longmire stories, read what was available, with that run...

Then I found the Tony Hillerman Navajo Joe Leaphorn series.

Last of the breed by Louis L'Amour was a good read.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 03-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Mind the thorns

Yeah. Joe "Whiny Ass" Pickett by CJ Box. I haven't read any of Craig Johnson's Longmire series yet. Maybe those will be my summer reading if you say they're worthwhile. They are popular here: Buffalo had a big celebration called Longmire Days here awhile back.

I am very fond of Tony Hillerman's stories. Keep hoping someone will discover an unsuspected cache of the same in his estate and publish them posthumously.

Marcia Muller does a pretty nice job with the Sharon McCone mysteries, too. Haven't read a new one in a while though I assume she is still writing.

My son is a big Louis L'Amour fan. I scoured the second hand stores in search of every book the man ever wrote and gave them all to Quinn for Christmas several years ago.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:26 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:

My son is a big Louis L'Amour fan. I scoured the second hand stores in search of every book the man ever wrote and gave them all to Quinn for Christmas several years ago.
Should have mentioned it. I probably have most of them.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 03-24-2016, 10:20 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

The Spirit of Steamboat is a nice little (short) Longmire story and a bit of Wyoming History / Lore...

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 03-24-2016, 11:12 PM
Mind the thorns

The bucking horse Steamboat, I assume?

Old 03-25-2016, 08:03 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

That's in there also...

Every now and then I ask people when I pass through, what is the name of the horse on the Wyo license plate.

I have not gotten the correct answer yet.

If it is true?

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 03-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Mind the thorns

My understanding is that Steamboat is the horse on UW's team jerseys and that Deadman, another famous bucking horse, is the horse on the license plates. The logos were really similar and somewhere along the line, Steamboat was identified as the horse on the license plates as well.

Found this for you: http://www.gowyo.com/trads/steamboat.html