Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Suspension
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Suspension Shocks, Forks, Front Ends, Stabilizers, etc...

Old 06-05-2019, 11:51 AM
Known Associate

Last Cigar Smoked: Hate'um
Mountainkowboy has failed to amuse us
Which swingarm kit?

OK, I need some input guys....been trying to bring back an 87 bagger that was totaled. Got her running and riding but the cleve blocks in the swingarm are toast and the ass is all over the road. I'm going to use the factory swingarm due to costs for now and am going to upgrade the cleve block system. I'm looking at the Sta-Bo I kit and the V-twin rebuild kit that uses bearings.

Has anyone used either kit?

Any input would be great

The AWAKENING

Old 06-05-2019, 05:32 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I had the Sta-Bo on my '07 Ultra until we added the sidecar. Then I had to go back to the original HD swing arm due to fitment issues for the sidecar.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 06-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
I tried 3 versions of the Sta-Bo bushings. I was never very happy with the longevity of any of them. That was 8-10 years ago on the 05, so maybe things have changed?

Kimber

Old 06-05-2019, 08:51 PM
Known Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
I tried 3 versions of the Sta-Bo bushings. I was never very happy with the longevity of any of them. That was 8-10 years ago on the 05, so maybe things have changed?

How long did they last?

The AWAKENING

Old 06-05-2019, 08:56 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainkowboy View Post
How long did they last?
If I recall correctly, likely not more than 10-15k. One batch was much less and I eventually replace it all with stock parts.

I got tired of constantly having to check it. The material compound just wasn't holding up and coming apart.

Kimber

Old 06-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I used "Glide Pro" on my '06 FLHTRi, seemed to really help with stability.

https://glide-pro.com/

But who uses bearings?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 06-06-2019, 10:30 PM
Known Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
If I recall correctly, likely not more than 10-15k. One batch was much less and I eventually replace it all with stock parts.

I got tired of constantly having to check it. The material compound just wasn't holding up and coming apart.

That would probably work for long enough to "gather" the late model stuff and a CCE kit.

The AWAKENING

Old 06-16-2019, 04:23 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
It is important to note that there are different types of Sta-Bo bushings. There replacement swing arm bushings; bushings that go inside the swing arm to fully replace the original cleve blocks.
There is a separate product sold as a stabilizer kit by Sta-Bo; these bushings (actually spacers) are used OUTside the swing arm, between the swing arm and the frame pivot covers. These are to reduce the vagueness of the tracking of the bike in turns and I found that they did help.

I used the Sta-Bo swing arm bushings in the '01 Road King and I liked them much better than the cleve blocks. they are still in there 35K later and still in great shape, the last time I peaked at them.

I ALSO used the Sta-Bo stabilizer kit and I was pleased with them. They added a little vibe to the boards at first, but I had no issue with them.
Note here that I had a semi-famous wobble in that bike... after many miles and various 'fixes' I eventually determined a true method of aligning the bike and the wobble went away. Sometime after this I removed the Sta-Bo stabilizers and notice no change with or without them. The swing arm bushings are still awesome.

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 06-16-2019, 08:06 PM
Original Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
Note here that I had a semi-famous wobble in that bike...
Glad you got that fixed. The one I witnessed while closing at a high rate had my sphincter tightening too.

Kimber

Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Known Associate

Thanks for the info, getting ready to start taking it apart.

The AWAKENING