Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Ask The Techs...
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Ask The Techs... This is the way it works. Post up your question in the appropriate Forum, then put a link to it here. We'll ask some very savvy folks to monitor the posts here and answer your question. If you are a Tech answering a question, please do it in the linked thread rather than here. In this way, we can build info in the appropriate Forum. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
V&H ThrottlePak

I'm looking at ways to reduce the lag on my throttle by wire '08 Ultra and give it some more power for passing and acceleration from stops. I spoke to Ramon about this and he said he has heard some pretty good things about the Vance & Hines ThrottlePak. It basically speeds up the throttle plate opening speed and wouldn't conflict with the Vance & Hines FuelPak that I had installed when I upgraded to the Wide Oval slip-ons a few years back.

I'm thinking of adding this on for ~$150sh and then adding some new cams to get the most bang for my buck and stay under $1,000 for my fall upgrade.

Thoughts?

Old 08-23-2012, 04:40 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
tts or the powervision can do it and is a much better system than the v&h, but I am sure an expert will be along shortly
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 08-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
I'm looking at ways to reduce the lag on my throttle by wire '08 Ultra and give it some more power for passing and acceleration from stops. I spoke to Ramon about this and he said he has heard some pretty good things about the Vance & Hines ThrottlePak. It basically speeds up the throttle plate opening speed and wouldn't conflict with the Vance & Hines FuelPak that I had installed when I upgraded to the Wide Oval slip-ons a few years back.

I'm thinking of adding this on for ~$150sh and then adding some new cams to get the most bang for my buck and stay under $1,000 for my fall upgrade.

Thoughts?
No, no, no. A thousand times, "NO"!

If you're adding cams, you'll be outside the range of what the FuelPak can do. A TTS will run you around $400, but will take care of everything tuning and ECM-related.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 08-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
No, no, no. A thousand times, "NO"!

If you're adding cams, you'll be outside the range of what the FuelPak can do. A TTS will run you around $400, but will take care of everything tuning and ECM-related.
Horror stories about the ThrottlePak? I'm trying to be budget friendly but if the TTS or Power Vision is that much better for my meager needs I don't want to spend money and not be happy. My goal is less throttle lag and smoother acceleration when I need to pass or at take off from a stop. I was thinking a combination of cams and some type of tuner could help without getting too deep into the engine.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:24 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
honestly I would start with the tts and then go with the cams, there are plenty of smart people (i blame russ), who can help you get a decent starting tune with it, and show you how to fix your throttle (russ fixed mine in 5 minutes)...then go on to the cam if necessary and get a professional tune by smart dave when you come visit....
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
Horror stories about the ThrottlePak? I'm trying to be budget friendly but if the TTS or Power Vision is that much better for my meager needs I don't want to spend money and not be happy. My goal is less throttle lag and smoother acceleration when I need to pass or at take off from a stop. I was thinking a combination of cams and some type of tuner could help without getting too deep into the engine.
No horror stories, but it's a $150 one-trick pony. You can get yourself a really good tune with a TTS and deal with the throttle lag. You can compensate for your cams with a TTS too. The FuelPak can be sold on HDF or something to help recoup the costs, but it's simply not capable of making the adjustments you're going to need if you're changing cams.

With the right cams, an exhaust, a high-flow air cleaner, and a decent self-tune, you can have a really fun, efficient bike.

What cams are you looking at?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:02 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
For right around $1000 you can get cams, a tuner and a professional tune. I will try to steer you away from TTS. Right now I'm a convert from TTS to the Dynojet Powervision, which will has an auto-tune feature and is fun as hell to fcuk with

If you're thinking cams don't bother wasting $150. Both tuners can get rid of the throttle lag by zeroing out a table.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
For right around $1000 you can get cams, a tuner and a professional tune. I will try to steer you away from TTS. Right now I'm a convert from TTS to the Dynojet Powervision, which will has an auto-tune feature and is fun as hell to fcuk with

If you're thinking cams don't bother wasting $150. Both tuners can get rid of the throttle lag by zeroing out a table.
I've heard a lot of rumblings about the TTS lately, and I'm not liking what I'm hearing. Still, it's a very capable tuner. The Powervision with all the WEGO doo-dads is pushing $1,000 or so though, isn't it?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:47 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Free flow air cleaner, 2 into 1 pipe, TTS tuner, good tune, and you have a fun bike without going into changing the cams.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
A tuner is only as good as the guy who's usin' it to tune yer bike.

I have a Screaming Eagle Super Pro Tuner on my '06 as it was the only tuner Jim Egizio, tuning wizard at IL H-D, would use. I paid a tick over $400 for the tuner (IL H-D gave me a 10% discount), $250 for the tune.

Bike's never run better and gets real good mileage to boot.

I have absolutely no regrets with the tuner or the tune. Wish I'da gone this route right off the bat, rather than fcuking with the PC III I had used earlier.......

Regarding cams, I have a set of Andrews 26As in mine. No regrets there, either.

Overall, the bike's a blast to ride, little ol' 88 and all.......

Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 PM
A Delinquent by Birth

SLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sock
I have the tts,zippers a/c and Rinehart pipes,no cam , I have as much fun as anyone and my bike flys and was getting 42 mph chasing a few doofs around the Poconos

Old 08-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
I've heard a lot of rumblings about the TTS lately, and I'm not liking what I'm hearing. Still, it's a very capable tuner. The Powervision with all the WEGO doo-dads is pushing $1,000 or so though, isn't it?
What? Spill.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
What? Spill.
When TTS went to the MT8 files, that necessitated a re-partitioning of the ECM's memory. Not really a big deal, unless you took your bike to the dealer, as the Digital Technician can't read the ECM in that configuration. So what I did (since I foolishly lost the stock map) was to load an identical MT7 map when I took it in.

According to Danny and a few other sources, TTS has somehow locked down the ECM, even with MT7 files, so that the only way you can either change tuners or have a dealer read the ECM is to reload the stock map.

To be blunt, that's $hitty. I like the Mastertune, and I think it's a great tool, but I'm not a fan of the company and they arrogance they show towards their customers.

Were I to ever get another Harley, I'd go with the Powervision/AT-200 setup without hesitation. But I'm a "power user", so take that with a grain of salt. The Mastertune is still the shiznit.

And I retain the right to change my mind if Mike ever lets me play with his Powervision.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
I think it was $730 from Fuel Moto for the whole shebang. But, the thing is, you can either spend your money on the $300+ WEGO-like doodads and do it yourself, or take that money and get a professional tune. You don't need both.

Quote:
TTS has somehow locked down the ECM, even with MT7 files, so that the only way you can either change tuners or have a dealer read the ECM is to reload the stock map.

To be blunt, that's $hitty. I like the Mastertune, and I think it's a great tool, but I'm not a fan of the company and they arrogance they show towards their customers.

It's not the MT8 or MT7 files, it's in the Mastertune software. It was actually a couple versions ago that they added that nice little feature without telling anybody. Pretty shitty indeed. Additionally, the attitude from TTS is that we are too stupid to be able to understand what we're looking at and can't be trusted with messing up our own bikes.

Steve first said that partitioning was necessary in order to expose more tables for added features and that is what caused the lockout. Now it's to save you from somebody wiping out your tune. Funny that the Power Vision opens the same tables and more in the same ECM, but doesn't lock you or the dealer out. You know he put that lockout stuff in there simply to keep you from going with another vendor's product.

Check out the incomplete disclosure in this thread from March of this year:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=72034.0

Yes, TTS was a great product. I'm sorry to say Steve has lost my trust and respect.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[

Last edited by Infidel!; 08-23-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Breaker of Stuff

It was, in fact, just the MT8 files initially, as I never had an issue with the dealer's DT reading my MT7 files. I guess I won't update my software.

Steve's a really smart guy with limited people skills. He's an engineer and not a marketeer. It's a damn shame that he's imposed his bizarre logic on what was a very capable product.