Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 07-14-2013, 08:41 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Rear brake issue

Made a ride to a memorial down in NC last weekend. Bike ran and stopped perfectly. Got home Sunday and parked the bike in the garage. Didn't move it or do anything to it until Thursday. Go out, get on the bike and start out for some chow. Hit the rear brake as I eased down the driveway and the pedal went to the 'floor'. No stopping was had. Tried pumping it, no dice. Rode to dinner anyway since the front was still fine. Friday after work I checked for leaks at all the major junctions, none to be found. Pulled the read caliper, no signs of a leak anywhere. Changed the pads while I had it off, reinstalled and then bled the line. Few big air bubbles came out and a few worked themselves out of the master cylinder as I pumped the pedal. Once I was satisfied there was no more air coming out, buttoned it all up and took it for a ride. All worked well. Yesterday took a ride down to southern Maryland for a shindig and the brakes worked great down and back. Parked the scoot in the garage yesterday afternoon and it sat. This morning, drag it out to take a ride to a party and poof, no read brake again. I'm puzzled.....

What I know....I still need the recall performed as I've never had the rear brake light switch (which doesn't function) replaced.

My current plan is to bleed it again and take it in to get the switch replaced (which means they replace the line and will bleed it themselves).

Any ideas as to what may be causing my issues?

Thanks for the help!

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
ABS on the bike?

Maybe a "bleed" shuttle valve in the HCU (hydraulic control unit) is hanging in the 'Bleed Off" position?

Thus no pressure is applied to the rear brake, can you pull codes via the odometer trick?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The master cylinder plunger seal is bad. You have to replace it. It's a fairly easy job, BUT..... You MUST bleed the master cylinder PRIOR to reattaching the brake line. I think your scoot uses DOT 4 brake fluid, which means do NOT let it drip on any painted surface. IF it does, wipe immediately.

The cylinder rebuild kit is available from HD, and if I remember it costs like $85 bucks. It's ALMOST more cost effective to buy an new rear master cylinder!

PM me your addy again. I have the master cylinder bleed adapters you'll need.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
I just came in from checking it out, the switch did have some evidence of a small leak on it. It'll be in the shop tomorrow for the replacement switch and then I'll see about the master cylinder. I'll letcha know once I have it back tomorrow evening.

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 PM
Double-D, MLA III, CLS

BluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
So, next yime you are coming to SOMD let me know.

@$^&#/(*^#^43> 41

Droid Galaxy SIII is pretty nice

Oil, heat, vibration and noise.

At work, oil analysis, thermography, vibration analysis, and ultrasonics.

At play, Harley.

Same same, right?

Only 43 more states to go!

Remember, never make a straight on a left hand bridge.

It WILL leave a mark.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
I think your scoot uses DOT 4 brake fluid, which means do NOT let it drip on any painted surface. IF it does, wipe immediately.
No kidding. When I was bleeding the lines, I spilled a teaspoon of DOT 4 on the table lift top. When I wiped it up, the paint underneath was all clean and no oil stains... I'm thinking about spilling it on the whole top.

Kimber

Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 PM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFan View Post
So, next yime you are coming to SOMD let me know.

@$^&#/(*^#^43> 41

Droid Galaxy SIII is pretty nice
WILCO!

Got the bike back today, and it was clean! They actually washed it!

Brake feels good. Will know after it sits tonight if the issue is gone. I now have brake lights when I hit my rear brake. Hopefully it's all better!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:42 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Hope the problem is solved!

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Old 07-20-2013, 07:42 AM
along came Blondie......

Problem solved! Well mostly. Got the bike back the same day I dropped it off. Took it for a spin, I'm pretty sure they did a shitty bleed job because the pedal is mushy. Didn't have time to fix that before my trip this weekend, and I wanted to see if I'd have no feel in the pedal afterward. Still have brakes, although mushy, as they were when I picked it up. Headed out Thursday evening for Augusta and she rode fine the whole way. Nice to have brake lights with the rear pedal again. Will have to bleed them when I find time after I get home.

Thanks y'all!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Glad they got it.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 AM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Did they check your speedometer
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 07-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Lets just mention here, I saw many a brake light switch recall preformed on Lincoln's and Mercury's.

Not once did I witness the tech doing the job bleed the brakes.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 07-20-2013, 10:02 AM
grapenutless

y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
They didn't bleed mine when they did it
who's to blame in 2014?
Chitty Chitty

Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 AM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippsy View Post
Did they check your speedometer
For?

Old 07-22-2013, 07:39 AM
grapenutless

Just kidding
Reference to Russ's bike
who's to blame in 2014?
Chitty Chitty