Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Doof Clenas > Highway 43 Rides and Photos
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Highway 43 Rides and Photos Post them here or they get lost...

Old 06-28-2009, 07:37 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
West Virginia 43!

One of my goals a few months ago on the ill-fated Maryland 743 Ride was to venture out to Cheat Lake, WV to see if we could find WV 43. Unfortunately, we got lost, turned around, and dead-ended so many times that we ran short on daylight and hit PA 43 (which we knew existed) as a consolation prize.

But ever since then, I find myself looking at satellite pictures of WV 43. I knew it was there, and I knew I could find it if I looked hard enough. All I needed was time.

Yesterday, I hit the road around 9am, and started winding my way north and west. I figured I'd head up to the mountains for a bit, then be back around 2 or 3. But as I got into the mountains, I figured I could keep pressing on, as there was some great riding past them. Next thing I knew, it was a little after noon and I was eating lunch 150 miles from home at the same Fox's Pizza we ate at at the intersection of 40 and 743 (there's still no sign). I wasn't positive, but I remembered that it was about 60 miles from there to Cheat Lake. WTH, I'm going for it.

I hopped onto 68 and headed west. Got off at exit 10 and onto Fairchance Road, which runs parallel to 43. About a mile north of 68, and there's the end of 43......With a small section of new road open. I went up and back on it a few times, and found the closest to a sign as I could and snapped a picture.

But I wanted more. There's 4 miles of road completed and closed off. There had to be some sort of access to it.

So I kept heading north, across the PA border to try and go in that way. No dice. You can get on PA 43 heading north, but there are huge concrete barriers on both the on and of ramps for everything south of there.

I got back on Fairchance Road and figured I'd try to take a side road over to 43. If you try this, watch out. Most of the roads between Fairchance and 43 turn to gravel as soon as you get on them. But not Morgan's Run Road. It takes you all the way to 43, and underneath a bridge.

Then there's the freshly paved road that goes up the embankment. Up I went. The fresh pavement gives way to really, really old pavement that's narrow and has stuff growing through it. I kept creeping slowly forward, and it opened up a bit. I relaxed, came around a blind corner, and the road dropped down sharply (as it turned to gravel) into either a large puddle or a small pond.

Luckily, I just put new brakes on the bike, and I've been doing my push ups and pull ups. I kept everything upright and got myself turned around. I parked, and hopped the fence protecting the virgin road.

It's big, and it's clearly not going to be finished for a while. There's asphalt laid, but it hasn't gotten a topcoat yet, so if you did manage to actually get a bike to the road (and it'd probably have to be a dirt bike), the ride would be rough as all get-out. Oddly, all the overhead signs are up, as are some of the ground level ones, but there's nothing marking the road (no 43 sign) in the mile or so of it I walked.

Anyway, it's there. I found it. I walked it. It's there.

Whoo Hoo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img057.jpg (67.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg img059.jpg (61.4 KB, 103 views)

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Last edited by Killer of Bikes; 06-28-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:47 AM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Congratulations.

Engine by Otto.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 AM
HILLBILLY

sofa king stays crunchy even in milksofa king stays crunchy even in milksofa king stays crunchy even in milksofa king stays crunchy even in milksofa king stays crunchy even in milksofa king stays crunchy even in milksofa king stays crunchy even in milksofa king stays crunchy even in milksofa king stays crunchy even in milksofa king stays crunchy even in milksofa king stays crunchy even in milk
Above and beyond dude, way to go
Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Look at all them 7s in that 43 sign. . . Well done sir!

High Priestess of the Cloudriders
Old 06-28-2009, 08:13 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
WELL done!
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:18 AM
R.I.P.
<--- Captain Itch!

Red Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Russ, you da man!

'Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.' - William Penn

I want to live and ride free, unencumbered by all but God's love.
'06' FLSTNI, $43 per gallon!

Old 06-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Double-D
Lone Doof

Last Cigar Smoked: Griffin
RoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milk
That's good'un!!!

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Old 06-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Outstanding! Way to persevere and find the sign

Old 06-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Nice bike. No wonder you wanna keep it.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 06-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dan View Post
Nice bike. No wonder you wanna keep it.
Thank you, and yes. After I finished cleaning her up today, I sat and stared at her for a good 10 minutes.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Way to go Russ!

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 06-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Bard of the 43 Words

Last Cigar Smoked: 5 Vegas Miami
TimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suckTimmyD can happily embrace the suck
WHA???

...you mean they got a major road in WV that is NOT named after Robert Byrd...

...in-FUKKIN-creditible...
2003 FXD aka 'Wild Blue'
"Ask not what Doof Clenas can do for you, but what you can do for Doof Clenas." TimmyD (2006)

Old 06-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyD View Post
WHA???

...you mean they got a major road in WV that is NOT named after Robert Byrd...

...in-FUKKIN-creditible...

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
Old 06-29-2009, 08:43 AM
43rd Prophet

swmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suck
Damn Russ...ya didn't invite me!!!

Good job...

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.
~James Madison, speech, Virginia Convention, 1788

Old 06-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmnkdinthervr View Post
Damn Russ...ya didn't invite me!!!

Good job...
It was a real spur-of-the-moment decision.

But I've already mapped out a route to Ohio 43.......It intersects with a 7 as well.........