Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > General Bike Discussions
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
So, I got in about 60 miles today.

In general, the bike is set up for a height of shorter than I am. I'm told that they design all bikes, including HDs, for ~5'8". I'll have to adjust the bars back, as I'm sitting a little too sportbikeish as they are. I'll also have to tinker with the seat height setting. The windscreen, even at the highest setting is a tad low for me sitting straight up.

These seem to be common gripes about FJRs just like they are on HDs. Dropped pegs and possibly some riser blocks on the bars seem to be popular fixes. A recurved windscreen, or a slightly higher one would fix that issue. I didn't get in enough time to really assess the seat. Some complain about them, and there are as many options for FJRs as HDs, but we'll see after I get a few hours on it.

WRT performance, I'm keeping it around 4KRPM for the first hundred miles, so I can't say what's really in there, but suffice to say it's plenty--red-line is 9K. The bike feels like it makes power pretty much right off idle, but I suspect that's more a feeling than reality; it just gets from idle to power a lot faster than a v-twin. Some of the FJR boards bemoan the lack of a 6th gear, and it could use one, but it doesn't really need one. At 70, it's turning a bit under 4K and settles into a smooth purr. I had no trouble rapidly passing dump trucks at speed w/out getting much over 4K. The throttle is electronic and responds pretty much instantly in either the sport or touring mode. The cruise sets instantly and is smooth as glass

This bike wants to turn. I'm so used to having to make my HDs turn, it's easy to over-control this one. I'll simply have to get used to it. Some of the people on FJR boards talk about rubbing their pegs in corners. I threw it into a couple of on-ramps that would have been challenging indeed on either HD and it just laid in and went. I was nowhere near having the pegs on the ground, and could have gotten into it a lot hotter.

Brakes are operationally impressive. It's a linked ABS setup w/ dual 4-pot calipers up front. The front lever actuates 6 and the back brake actuates the rear and the last 2 front pots. I haven't ridden one of the Brembo-equipped baggers, but compared to my 06, and even the 07 Sporty brakes I put on the FXS, these are amazing. I didn't do a panic stop--not sure I want to.... I was on dry roads with new tires, so I didn't do anything that might have necessitated the traction-control system actuating.

I didn't have the opportunity to play with the adjustable suspension much. It was set to 1-rider, soft when I picked it up. I bumped it to +2 and that seemed to settle it down quite a bit--it was too bouncy at 0.

Saddle bags are spacious enough to hold a full-face helmet sitting sideways. They feel a little cheesy compared to the HD, but looking on the FJR boards and the miles folks are putting on them they seem to wear well. I had a Shad SH50 (50L) top-pack installed as well. It lacks some of the internal refinement of the HD tourpak, but that's easily solved.

I have NEVER been a fan of 'plasticy" Japanese hand controls, but these seem better, especially in comparison to H0nda products I've ridden. All of the electronic functions are controlled w/ a single "menu" switch and and up/down toggle. There is an extensive hierarchy of settings, but the great majority of the ones you'd ever want to access while moving are in the top tier.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-17-2015, 07:48 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Looks very nice.

Don't wear those brakes out in enjoyment...

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 04-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
A verbose ride report......I'm so proud.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 04-17-2015, 09:57 AM
A. DooF

Last Cigar Smoked: Whatever was next in the Mega rotation
par_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowpar_fore has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Very nice Time.

Congrats.

"I want to live and ride free, unencumbered by all but God's love." ~ Red Rider
Old 04-17-2015, 10:40 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
They're used a police units somewhere; I've seen pics.
The 2 that we had for the tests were dressed out as copper choppers, but Yamazuki did not do it. They came from a third party. One of the drive boys put in a call to the mfg. to find out the particulars of how they wanted them run in the tests,(gear, mode, windshield height, etc.), he was told we could run them, but they don't support a cop platform for that bike. that was a couple of years ago....things might have changed.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Under Construction

TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlfitr View Post
The 2 that we had for the tests were dressed out as copper choppers, but Yamazuki did not do it. They came from a third party. One of the drive boys put in a call to the mfg. to find out the particulars of how they wanted them run in the tests,(gear, mode, windshield height, etc.), he was told we could run them, but they don't support a cop platform for that bike. that was a couple of years ago....things might have changed.
There's no tellin' what any manufacturer is likely to do. I think the ones I have seen are in Europe. Google does show some 3rd parties making cop bikes out of them.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 04-20-2015, 03:43 PM
Under Construction

I guess it's really ofishul....

Got a bit over 200 mi on the FJR now. Gonna need some handlebar mods, and seat work--might as well be an HD. I have the seat all the way down and the bars all the way back, but I still feel a ltlle too hunched over.

Options for bars are limited, but all are fairly simple to instsall. Biggest issue is control wires, cables, and brake hoses. The aftermarket is not as robust, but there are companies that specialize in FJRs. As for a seat, I think I'm just gonna go VFR to Russell.

I can also safely say that it's wicked fast. I'd estimate it'll top out above 150.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 04-20-2015, 03:51 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Me sad too...

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 04-20-2015, 11:17 PM
Somewhat Bionic

Last Cigar Smoked: Hoyo De Monterrey Robusto
Big Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBig Cheese has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Congrats and condolences Tim.
Looks nice.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting '..holy sh*t ....what a ride!' - George Carlin

Old 01-21-2017, 06:57 PM
Under Construction

Well, a nagging, recurrent numb right arm that isn't going to get better from the looks of the MRI has led to the dismissal of the FJR. Since it was just sitting in the garage, I decided to trade it off on a H0nda Pioneer 700 that will see double duty as a getting-around the property/utility vehicle, and probably some mild shenanigans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16143721_10212309091269225_3119019990649483035_o.jpg (73.4 KB, 16 views)
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 01-21-2017, 07:14 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

The boss of me wants one of those! With a windshield and a lid...

Sent from mobile device prone to spelling errors

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 01-21-2017, 08:52 PM
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
The boss of me wants one of those! With a windshield and a lid...

Sent from mobile device prone to spelling errors
Oh yes, must accessorize. Lid will be a quick acquisition, but a piece of lexan and some zip ties may be all the windscreen it ever sees.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50