Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Suspension
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Suspension Shocks, Forks, Front Ends, Stabilizers, etc...

Old 05-04-2015, 06:16 PM
I like my bacon battered

BenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
DIY Airbags...

I had a few discussions with folks during the latest Cloudriders event about the DIY airbags I put on my 05 Road King. So I'm posting it here to document it.

Here was the original inspiration:
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...installed.html

and

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...-part-2-a.html

Here's the video I put up of mine on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa6zjIJWHtY

Basically it's air shocks from a 1980's Corvette that I got from Oreilly's (lifetime warranty) for less than $100. I got the air pump and push-to-connect fittings from Amazon. I have about $250 (including shipping) on everything. It's better than stock, but not as nice as CVO shocks or the fancy European ones that Russ likes

Shopping list:
- Viair 98C compressor
- Monroe MA785 shocks
- 1.5" guage with a 1/8" NPT fitting
- Humphrey 310 solenoid (used as an air dump valve)
- Misc push to connect fittings and 1/8" tubing. Going from the air compressor I put on a 1/8" NPT to 1/4" tube connector to a 4 way 1/4" tube splitter. The 4 way connects to the gauge, dump valve, and a 1/4" tube to 1/8" tube split then to the shocks.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Thanks for the write-up, Ben. That's a good looking setup. How much lower than stock does it air down to?

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
You know this video is going to make all those who blew 2K+ on their system screem.
And even though I don't know what malfunction this corrects, I like the design and cost to do it. Will it immobilize a bike from being stolen?

BOB

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 05-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Harry The M

Last Cigar Smoked: Spare Tire
Harry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarry The M is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Great info.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
A little late, but after reading this, I know where there is a set of CVO 12" shocks sitting on the shelf that can be had for a deep discount over new.

They came of my 2011 FLHXSE2 when I upgraded from another set of take offs from Russ.

Kimber

Old 05-05-2015, 09:54 AM
I like my bacon battered

BenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBenBoosted is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
Thanks for the write-up, Ben. That's a good looking setup. How much lower than stock does it air down to?
Good question.. I never measured stock. Go measure your RK and tell me where you measured and I'll compare and post the results.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:55 AM
I like my bacon battered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
You know this video is going to make all those who blew 2K+ on their system screem.
And even though I don't know what malfunction this corrects, I like the design and cost to do it. Will it immobilize a bike from being stolen?

BOB
No the bike will still roll fine with no air in the shocks, but it will bottom the tire out on the inner fender if you hit any bumps.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:56 AM
I like my bacon battered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
A little late, but after reading this, I know where there is a set of CVO 12" shocks sitting on the shelf that can be had for a deep discount over new.

They came of my 2011 FLHXSE2 when I upgraded from another set of take offs from Russ.
and I remember asking Russ for those shocks but you had beat me to the punch, so then I came up with this DIY stuff.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:17 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Ben, measure center of each bolt. The stock shock was 12" CtC unloaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-13-2015, 03:43 PM
I like my bacon battered

Quote:
Ben, measure center of each bolt. The stock shock was 12" CtC unloaded.

Want compressed and fully extended?

Old 05-13-2015, 04:27 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

No, just some random point with them randomly aired up just partially....

Here's yer sign..

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-13-2015, 06:11 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 05-13-2015, 06:44 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

I just couldn't stop myself.

Ben, yes, please, both min and max

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-13-2015, 10:40 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I want to do something about the suspension on Black Booty

Probably have to wait until next year

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 05-14-2015, 11:21 AM
I like my bacon battered

Quote:
No, just some random point with them randomly aired up just partially....

Here's yer sign..

That I can do!!!

9" compressed, 13" extended

Last edited by BenBoosted; 05-14-2015 at 11:26 AM.