Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Air Cleaners
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
looking for helping suggestions - venting my breathers to a catch can

I didn't want to keep feeding the breather vents back into the carb/air cleaner .... so I bought an after market A/C kit that fits onto the Mikuni.
The breathers each have a 'LITTLE' filter to catch the oil that is expelled out the breather .....

I have no way of knowing if my bike has the 'normal/average' amount of spue that is vented out the breather....... But I do know this ... those 'LITTLE' filters are only good for about 50 miles. After that the oil leaks out the bottom, and then of course is blown back all over the side of the bike, and your leg. Last Wed. I rode 250 or so miles, the bike was a MESS .... I can't ride like this ..... and certainly would not take one of my extended trips until this gets resolved.

So I have decided to vent the breathers into a line and run that to a catch can .....

anyone ever use this setup ?
Blue Grass Breather Kit
http://www.chromeandleatherplus.com/...26484&cat=1197

what other 'products/methods' have yall used ?
Likes/Dislikes ?
Sources for products, Please.

Thanks
Mikey

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 03-23-2009, 08:18 PM
GazintA

TerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milkTerryMiller stays crunchy even in milk
Mike,

Otto ran Tote's into a little filter on the front frame rail. Not sure of the routing but you don't notice it unless ya spot the filter and trace the tube back.

Engine by Otto.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:36 PM
R.I.P.
<--- Captain Itch!

Red Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I've been wondering if the breathers can be vented into the oil tank vent tube... or even back into the oil tank somehow.

'Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.' - William Penn

I want to live and ride free, unencumbered by all but God's love.
'06' FLSTNI, $43 per gallon!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:37 PM
R.I.P.
<--- Captain Itch!

Red Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowRed Rider has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I reckon that's too easy though, else it would have been done before.

'Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.' - William Penn

Old 03-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Woody218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I've been wondering if the breathers can be vented into the oil tank vent tube... or even back into the oil tank somehow.
You don't want to do that!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
R.I.P.
<--- Captain Itch!

Woody, at the risk of exposing my ingnorance, what would happen? I figured it couldn't or shouldn't be done - like I said, else it would already have been done. What I'm guessing is that it would blow something apart.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Razor

griffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sockgriffin doesn't need a tube sock
\

I'm not sure but I think that filter is a one way valve if you by pass the stock setup you are gonna get blow by.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I suppose you could do that, I wouldn't though. There's to much moisture in the content to pump it back into the oil tank. Not good to have water in your oil ....

Old 07-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Buffalo Hump

ok, so I did a few things attempting to find out why I got such a mess from my breathers

on my setup, see the pic in first post, those little filters on the banjo fittinigs get saturated with oil/vapor mist and then drip off, at which time the wind blows it all over the bike and rider

I put in new umbrella valves, same thing

I took out the reed valve and put in stock breather, same thing

I put in the 'Cure Vent Plus Kit' in the rocker boxes, same thing

I went to ES and back, 2600 miles in 8 days ... the bike and my Dickies were a total mess !! Ask anyone that waz there ....

So, I put on a catch can .... here's some pics of it
I rode the bike yesterday about 150 miles, no oil on me, or the bike !!!!!!!! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA

in the pics you'll see the black fuel lines, those are being replaced with chrome braided line ..... but I'm off to Atlanta this weekend and wanted this installed, so I went to the auto store and got some 1/4" fuel line ..... my guess, the chrome lines will show up this afternoon. When I get the chrome lines I'll run both of them behind the front cylinder pushrod tubes .... I think this will provide a neater/cleaner look

Last edited by fxr4mikey; 07-09-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Type O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Dont you have a breather coming off the bottom of your crank case take a pic and lets see .but then a gain its to late you have all ready spent the money .i plugged my heads off and use only the crank case breather where the heads where oregonaly hooked up

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 07-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Sounds like you might have solved the oil issue Mikey

You'll get a good chance to test it on the track this weekend!

Old 07-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
Sounds like you might have solved the oil issue Mikey

You'll get a good chance to test it on the track this weekend!
Yeah Man !!!

Old 11-25-2018, 02:04 PM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Here's my freshly fabbed-up head breather/oil mist catch can thingy.......

Parts list.......

Frame p-clamp: Kury p-clamp, Black

Catch can: P2M Universal 250CC Mini Oil Catch Can With Breather Filter

Schlitz decal: Large Schlitz Beer Decal

I had to fab up a T mounting bracket to attach the catch can to the p-clamp. A piece of 1" aluminum angle was jig sawed and Dremelled into shape for that. The local Ace had the aluminum angle in stock.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:02 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Nice!

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 11-25-2018, 06:37 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Vern ice.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan