Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Touring Discussion
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Outlaw

Last Cigar Smoked: Camel WIDES
Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
trailer

Looking for any incite and information on pulling a trailer with my bagger. I got a rode trip I'm planning on doing this summer with the OL. Need more storage space than the bike itself can carry, so I'm thinking a trailer will help with everything that Kat needs for a long trip. My sidecar is gone, but the bike still has the upgraded clutch and belt I did when pulling the extra weight of the sidecar.

What tips and advice do you guys who have pulled a trailer on their bike have?

"It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog." - Michael Vick.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:32 AM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
What kind of trailer are you planning on using? I have a Bushtec, and I hardly even notice it behind the bike. You do need to allow a little extra space for braking though. Balance the load so the tongue weight isn't too much, and don't overload it. Other than that, enjoy!

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 04-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Slow speed turns in parking lots, more when your starting from a stop. Best to have the trailer straight out behind the bike, not at an angle as it will "pull" to one side until the trailer is straight.

Air pressure in the tires. Springs may make the trailer bounce; Heim joint on the hitch so if the trailer flips, it won't take the bike.

As Stoney said, balance of the trailer is important. Just the right amount of weight on the tongue. About 10% of total load is what I typically used.

I don't care much for the trailers with small wheels. I also have an older Bushtec and it's been a joy to tow. The suspension is fantastic and if you have the time to watch, you can usually find one second hand for a decent price.

Other manufactures are "In-line", "Motorvation", and "American Legend". These aren't the only ones, but the ones I recall.

Kimber

Old 04-13-2015, 08:23 PM
Outlaw

Sidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSidecar Doug has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
http://www.1motorcycletrailers.com/escapealuminum.html

This is what I was thinking of getting. Looks well built, free swivel coupler, and decent price. Not too fancy, but functional.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:19 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
http://memphis.craigslist.org/mcy/4945120377.html

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 04-13-2015, 10:45 PM
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
Sure.. do you mind picking that up for me and bringing out to California, I'm a little busy at work this week.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:26 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecar Doug View Post
http://www.1motorcycletrailers.com/escapealuminum.html

This is what I was thinking of getting. Looks well built, free swivel coupler, and decent price. Not too fancy, but functional.
Looks like a decent trailer.

Look at the bottom of this site. The "Legacy" and "Heritage" trailers. I believe these are what people are referring to as the "Bushtec" clones. They look like two of the Bushtec models, but they are not. Made in China.

Kimber

Old 04-30-2015, 10:20 PM
Outlaw

I ordered the trailer online, and it showed up disassembled on a pallet to my house today. Got it all put together in about an hour. Now just got to wait for the hitch I ordered to show up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00273(1).jpg (63.0 KB, 40 views)

Old 04-30-2015, 11:35 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Looks good.

--Bob Dylan
Old 04-30-2015, 11:52 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
I'm giving consideration to pulling a small trailer this summer as well. I always over pack, but if I had that trailer I would have load up all the gear and one of my stubby little whitewater kayaks to mount on top. Who's hitch are you using? I had though about having something made.

doB

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 05-01-2015, 06:31 AM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Looks good Doug - let us know how it pulls.

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 05-01-2015, 07:23 AM
Double-D
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
I'm giving consideration to pulling a small trailer this summer as well. I always over pack, but if I had that trailer I would have load up all the gear and one of my stubby little whitewater kayaks to mount on top. Who's hitch are you using? I had though about having something made.

doB
Consider a heim hitch rather than a ball hitch.

--Bob Dylan
Old 05-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Outlaw

Picked up the hitch & trailer wiring harness after work today. Didn't waist any time getting it mounted up. Took it for a test ride around the neighborhood, trailer was empty. Didn't even feel it behind me. Think I'll take it to work this week & run a few arrons with it to feel how it rides with a load. There is a ball hitch, but the trailer has what they call a swivel hitch. So I can still lean in corners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00286.jpg (95.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg CAM00275.jpg (152.3 KB, 21 views)

Old 05-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Outlaw

Ooops, wrong picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00278.jpg (94.7 KB, 21 views)

Old 05-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

What did you do with your sidecar?

--Bob Dylan