Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Carburetor
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:50 PM
43rd Prophet

swmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post

John... thanks for the info... but what exactly is "IT" and what about a 97.5"...?
IT...is a Zippers/S&S G1 carb...really just a 42 mm S&S carb with a Thunderjet (3 fuel circuits) and jetted for bikes from about 95" to 103"...what you see in the pic is the whole kit including the intake manifold and air cleaner...

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.
~James Madison, speech, Virginia Convention, 1788

Old 01-22-2008, 05:56 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
First and foremost, do they make a pointy air cleaner for the S&S?
Somebody "over there" has the parts list for the conversion.
Oh, and the Mikunis are available polished so they're easier to scratch.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Magyarorszag

475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Doug told me about this company... been checking out their site...

I want it!!!

According to website www.psiharley.com, the list price is 895.00.

http://www.psicarbs.com/home.php

yep with that many adjustments you cant go wrong
Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Magyarorszag

475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with475wildey is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmnkdinthervr View Post
There have been a lot of complaints about that carb...contrary to the claims it's nearly impossible to tune and requires continual tweaking...(I believe this is the one that was discussed in length on other forums)
The inventor of our little group did however highly recomend it to me I wont mention any names though

albeit it was for my 124 b2 motor
Old 01-23-2008, 03:23 AM
Haawk - PTUI - Crap

Pete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPete Logan is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Mik42 (new) for HD for $430 on eBay. Maybe there are used ones - but I'm too lazy to look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MIKUN...em260203894596

Or here's a dual Mik setup - used - currently bid at $500 - could be a steal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUAL-...em190191393591

Or a used HSR42 currently bid at $75, or BuyItNow for $150.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MIKUN...em110215627411

-Shakespeare-Hamlet

"Generally speaking, you don't die on motorcycles.
You die a few yards away from what's left of them."

-Me

Last edited by Pete Logan; 01-23-2008 at 03:29 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:29 AM
43rd Prophet

swmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suckswmnkdinthervr can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
First and foremost, do they make a pointy air cleaner for the S&S?
Somebody "over there" has the parts list for the conversion.
Oh, and the Mikunis are available polished so they're easier to scratch.
The S&S backing plate allows the use of a standard round air filter with one small mod (S&S supplies instructions) you can also purchase K&N, Amsoil filters for that application.

I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.
~James Madison, speech, Virginia Convention, 1788

Old 01-23-2008, 09:28 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Mike likes pointy sh!t, you know.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Don't overlook the CV carb. Beside "feel" they don't give anything up vs Miks and if you wan the creme de la creme, give Bobby Wood a call. CVs are especially good if you ride through changing elevations and don't want to be changing jets.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Nowhereman

It's a great carb, one that takes all the positives from Mikuni, S&S and Webber.
It atomizes very well, which gives it a nice wide application.
It's what I want for my 127 inch motor but, not at 1100 bucks.
What I did is call on my 30 years of Mikuni tuning and dial a 45 Mik to perfection, understanding what type of riding I do, and what was in my motor like Cam, Headwork, etc.
If you have someone who can run some equations for you, it will surprise you that bigger is not always better.
What you want for everything minus all out racing is cylinder fill.
Cylinder fill equals torque.
Torque is king; HP comes from torque.
V twins are all about torque.
Under 5500 rpm, with the right cam, a 45 Mik will produce more power than a 48 Mik for a large bore motor.
What you want is gobs of power; (torque) waiting for your next upshift.
Thats what wins stop light drags, riding two up in passing traffic and un Godly burnouts.
If anyone needs help in jetting a Mik for their bike, I can dial them in real fast if they just give me a few specifics on their motor / bike.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Double-D
I am Doof

Bluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milkBluetoys stays crunchy even in milk
Uhh, it is like deja vu all over again... Happy anniversary

Old 02-05-2009, 02:31 AM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
A mik set up properly will give you the least trouble and the best power across the board.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Nowhereman

A great carb, probably the best on the market.
I've seen a few on Ebay for sale but, they are the earlier models, not the type 4.
I'd have one on my 127 right now except for two things...
1. price
2. price
Way over priced IMHO...
I am living with a Mikuni that is jetted to perfection.
It gives me superb real world torque throughout the rpm band and gives me decent mileage for a 127... (44 highway and 37 around town)
Old 03-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
It's a great carb, one that takes all the positives from Mikuni, S&S and Webber.
What I did is call on my 30 years of Mikuni tuning and dial a 45 Mik to perfection, understanding what type of riding I do, and what was in my motor like Cam, Headwork, etc.
If you have someone who can run some equations for you, it will surprise you that bigger is not always better.
Under 5500 rpm, with the right cam, a 45 Mik will produce more power than a 48 Mik for a large bore motor.
Thats what wins stop light drags, riding two up in passing traffic and un Godly burnouts.
If anyone needs help in jetting a Mik for their bike, I can dial them in real fast if they just give me a few specifics on their motor / bike.

OK, I just finished my build last week, here's the specs:

1340 EVO
std bore/stroke, cylinders and pistons = 80CI
SE Heads (72cc combustion chamber)
Cometic .030 head gasket
Bob Wood W6 cam
Adjustable pusrods (chromolly)
Mikuni HSR42 Carb
Sifton lifters
Pro-Force A/C kit - 90 degrees horizontal mount(think SE Super Breather knock off)

Currently the carb is setup as delivered from the factory
std is:
pilot jet 25
main jet 160
jet needle -97
accelerator pump nozzle -70

pilot air screw is adjusted out 1 turn from bottom

what are your recommendations for:

Pilot Jet size, and air screw adjustment

Main jet size

Jet needle size

accelerator pump
1) nozzle size
2) adjustment for coming on, currently set at 8mm

Thanks,
Mikey

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 05-25-2009, 12:21 PM
really small member

Force has failed to amuse us
What are your jetting recommendations for a mik 45, 127 ultima(stock cam, no headwork), big radius pipes, zippers max flow air cleaner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post

Last edited by Force; 05-25-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added engine specs
Old 02-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Nowhereman

Richen up the low speed jet to a 35.
Go with the richest needle and needle jet.
Put the needle at the middle clip position.
Run a 182 main
Depending on how u ride, and elevation, the main can run from 180 to 185 and the needle can move up or down in position.
Sea level should be around middle clip.
NWM