Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Direct Link???.....

Just like the old saying, "power is addicting" the bug has bitten me hard while enjoying the new found jam of the cam swap....... Well of course this gets me into snoopy mode with a cold bevy in my hand after the ride and...

One of the most respected tuners, if not the top dog in BC is Jarz. They use this Direct Link as their preferred tuning medium, does anyone here heard of this system? Is this old tech that never caught on?? I know that I can do the Fuel Moto PV and have them build maps, but Abbotsford is only 3.5 hrs away once the pass is acceptable for bikes and the no fuss or muss has a certain appeal. I'd like to see if they can wring a little more from the 54's and I just might here the siren call of some TW-777 cams in my near future, that is a nasty looking sheet

http://jarzperformance.com/service/dyno-tuning/

Dirk
Old 04-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
First question I'd ask is, What was the C.I., of the build, heads ported?, Cam?, exhaust?, Compression?

Those before numbers are higher than any 96, 103 and most 110's without some work.

Kimber

Old 04-13-2014, 09:44 PM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Look, I know a lot of guys dig messin' with all the maps, tables, and so on.

My question is why?

When one can get a top shelf auto-tune setup, that samples over 180 times per second, CONSTANTLY adjusts A.F. ratios to optimum levels, no matter what altitude, ambient conditions, or any one of the bazillion variables in the world are present at that given moment, why would ANYONE want to lock in ONE tune, for all those conditions?

We have seen over and over again, the limitations of a static tune setup, and all of its drawbacks, so why aren't we letting a computer, SPECIFICALLY built for this application, do the job WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY better than we EVER will?

IMHO, get a high quality unit that does that for you, put it in and just RIDE!
If I wanna tune all the time, I'll go back to racin'...................

I fully subscribe to the old adage of K.I.S.S. ("Keep it simple stupid!") and if there is a dependable product out there, that will keep my scoot runnin' cherry ALL the time, as long as it isn't stupid expensive, thats what I'm buyin', every time.

I road raced bikes and cars, drag raced bikes and cars, and did circle track in cars for years, and boy howdy, if we coulda' done the auto tune deal, we woulda been all over it like a cheap suit.

I can understand a professional racer dialin' in his own tune, but for a road bike, you just aren't EVER gonna beat a purpose built computer doin' it for 'ya full time.

(And now I'm prolly gonna get ALL kinds of flack for sayin' all this, but oh well.)

Just sayin'

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
Old 04-14-2014, 05:32 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
I've heard of direct link, but don't know anybody that has used it. Been around a while.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:20 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
More info at the linky.......

<linky>
Old 04-14-2014, 06:23 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidglide View Post
Look, I know a lot of guys dig messin' with all the maps, tables, and so on.

My question is why?

When one can get a top shelf auto-tune setup, that samples over 180 times per second, CONSTANTLY adjusts A.F. ratios to optimum levels, no matter what altitude, ambient conditions, or any one of the bazillion variables in the world are present at that given moment, why would ANYONE want to lock in ONE tune, for all those conditions?

We have seen over and over again, the limitations of a static tune setup, and all of its drawbacks, so why aren't we letting a computer, SPECIFICALLY built for this application, do the job WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY better than we EVER will?

IMHO, get a high quality unit that does that for you, put it in and just RIDE!
If I wanna tune all the time, I'll go back to racin'...................

I fully subscribe to the old adage of K.I.S.S. ("Keep it simple stupid!") and if there is a dependable product out there, that will keep my scoot runnin' cherry ALL the time, as long as it isn't stupid expensive, thats what I'm buyin', every time.

I road raced bikes and cars, drag raced bikes and cars, and did circle track in cars for years, and boy howdy, if we coulda' done the auto tune deal, we woulda been all over it like a cheap suit.

I can understand a professional racer dialin' in his own tune, but for a road bike, you just aren't EVER gonna beat a purpose built computer doin' it for 'ya full time.

(And now I'm prolly gonna get ALL kinds of flack for sayin' all this, but oh well.)

Just sayin'
When something like that becomes available, I'll look into it.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 04-14-2014, 07:06 AM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stockman View Post
When something like that becomes available, I'll look into it.
Cobra 2000Fi CVT.

Just put it on Wendy's scoot, and started a new thread on it last week.
So far- Her bike runs perfect, no issues, just power.

Literally, plug and play, ZERO tuning.

(And no pooping required)

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
Old 04-14-2014, 07:22 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidglide View Post
Cobra 2000Fi CVT.

Just put it on Wendy's scoot, and started a new thread on it last week.
So far- Her bike runs perfect, no issues, just power.

Literally, plug and play, ZERO tuning.

(And no pooping required)
Nope....

The Cobra ties in to the O2 harnesses and the injector harnesses.....And that's it. So you're not getting any information from the array of other sensors (TPS, MAP, etc). Best case, it'll throw fuel into the cylinders if it detects a lean condition (whatever it decides that is, since it's not adjustable), but it does so by bypassing the ECM and sending more voltage to the injectors themselves, and it does so without regard for load.

If you're happy with it, that's great, but it's not remotely close to an autotuner.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 04-14-2014, 07:26 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Local tuner in Dallas likes Direct Link. Direct Link will marry you to that tuner. Any adjustments needed, you will have to go back to that tuner. If you ride your bike to ES and have an issue, you will have to find a Direct link tuner somewhere around ES (good luck with that), then convince your original tuner to send him your map (good luck with that). Granted, ECM's don't fail that often, but it happened to me once, and that is more than enough. I will stray far far away from Direct Link.

Do yourself a favor, get a Power Vision and find a tuner that will work with that if you don't want to do it yourself. Second after that, get the Harley tuner, whatever it is these days and have your Harley shop tune it. Either way, make sure they give you the MAP. Both can give you a good tune and plenty of options down the road.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 04-14-2014, 09:18 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Yeah, not walking out of the dealer with a copy of the map on a flash drive or CD is a deal breaker. Settle this beforehand.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 AM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
Local tuner in Dallas likes Direct Link. Direct Link will marry you to that tuner. Any adjustments needed, you will have to go back to that tuner. If you ride your bike to ES and have an issue, you will have to find a Direct link tuner somewhere around ES (good luck with that), then convince your original tuner to send him your map (good luck with that). Granted, ECM's don't fail that often, but it happened to me once, and that is more than enough. I will stray far far away from Direct Link.

Do yourself a favor, get a Power Vision and find a tuner that will work with that if you don't want to do it yourself. Second after that, get the Harley tuner, whatever it is these days and have your Harley shop tune it. Either way, make sure they give you the MAP. Both can give you a good tune and plenty of options down the road.
I hear you on the Direct Link, did some digging on this end also. They have no issue tuning with my TTS so I might try for shits and giggles at their operation while we go down to visit friends on the coast.....

One thing I'm doing for sure is going to dongle the laptop and go fo a good boot down the hwy and around town to see where all the VE tables are sitting. The local dealer here told me they filled every cell that was not covered in the base map, and the bike runs and pulls fantastic, I just like looking for more trouble to get into
Thinking I'll tough it out with the TTS, between Jarz and myself getting into it a little deeper it should suffice. Unless Jamie can convince me of something different

Dirk

Dirk
Old 04-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
First question I'd ask is, What was the C.I., of the build, heads ported?, Cam?, exhaust?, Compression?

Those before numbers are higher than any 96, 103 and most 110's without some work.
That looks like a bone stock 110 that had been 'tuned' for the stock cat pipes and then they bolted on a wide-open Pro-pipe; the first dyno run would be (naturally) waaaaaay lean, especially on the top.
Just ANY tuner could adjust for that pretty easily.
The shop's use of that comparison to 'prove' the magic of the tuner is pointless and maybe even misleading.
The question is which tuner will get you that last 4 or 5 HP, and how easy is it to get there.

There is no way I would pay for a SERT or a DL or any other device that leaves me "stuck with the guy that tuned it".

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 04-14-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:22 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I liked my TTS.

I LOVE my PV-2.

From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Reno HD uses TTS as their tuning thingy.

IIRC the TTS is the old SERT?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 04-14-2014, 11:53 AM
RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O' War Ruination
SafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSafetyMan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
Reno HD uses TTS as their tuning thingy.

IIRC the TTS is the old SERT?
Steve used to make the SERT, back in the day, as I understand it, and didn't quite agree with what Harley wanted them to do moving forward, so he started making his own, under the TTS label.

I could be wrong, my memory ain't what it used to be, but I think that's the gist of what he told me.

There are those that argue with me when they claim to have a SERT on the '14s.... Screamin' Eagle still sells one or two, the SESPT (Screamin Eagle Street Performance Tuner) and I have been told there is the SEPST (Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner)... but I only saw one on their site. "They" claim the SEPST is the same as the old SERT.

I am happy with my PV2, have I mentioned that?
From my Brother Don... I love his insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWolf View Post
Postwhores are a dime a dozen.
What's impressive about you is that you are your own pimp.
Kudos!