Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Wheels & Tires
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 09-20-2016, 09:33 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Dunlop's New Policy Info

I may be the last to know this, but Dunlop has made a change or two in their marketing policies.
This could be useful stuff to know when shopping for tires:

EDITED to repair link OK, the original link was wrong company. I haven't found the link to Dunlop's MAP policy, but in an interview, their new leader mentioned it briefly: Montasser said. “Quite a few had 20 or so and had to buy the extra 10 to become a Pro Dealer.”
Separately, Dunlop also recently became the first major motorcycle tire manufacturer to implement a MAP program on select tire models.
“In order for the industry to succeed, we need to help the brick-and-mortar stores,” Montasser said."

The link to that interview/article: http://powersportsbusiness.com/top-s...starts-strong/

It's no different than Playstations or iPhones or other products that are marketed with a similar policy.

<I'm not complaining, I may actually applaud this move>

So, anyway, I recently bought the rear tire from 'Zilla... but now sort of wish I'd bought it locally. (Had I known then, etc, I would have.)

I need the front tire, now, and I can get it from my local indy (who is a 'dunlop pro dealer') for precisely the same money as anywhere online, except for local sales tax. So, Thursday, I gets new front tire.
The point is, if you're in the market for Dunlop products, consider buying local, as the online shopping incentive has disappeared.

And, there's more:
If the dealer you buy from is a "Dunlop Pro Dealer", then you can get a Pro dealer exclusive "24/7 Road Hazard tire assistance plan". I'm not sure of the details but apparently its a towing AND repair plan.

edited link

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 09-21-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:22 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I know the dealer in Carson City sells all Harley parts way above the list prices.

Wonder if they are going to like this any?

Thanks for the heads up.

Many years ago working at a BMW car dealership, parts prices were supposed to be "fixed" for fairness at every dealership, ours still continued to sell way above manufacturer "fixed" retail prices.

They didn't see that the owners would go to the other dealership, 20 miles away for our suggested repairs...

*** Yes, I see it says "Minimum Advertised Policy" , so they aren't supposed to go below that price...
Wonder what margin of profit is figured in?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Last edited by Fe Butte; 09-21-2016 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Gettin' serious? ***
Old 09-20-2016, 12:16 PM
Practicing Wino

Last Cigar Smoked: Monte Cristo White
Mischief has failed to amuse us
Ill be needing to replace soon, thanks for the heads up. I'd rather support a local 'indy' if I can

'12 FLTRU <- I should nickname her 'The Slut' because I love riding her!!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:57 PM
the camera guy

Captain 41 doesn't need a tube sockCaptain 41 doesn't need a tube sockCaptain 41 doesn't need a tube sockCaptain 41 doesn't need a tube sockCaptain 41 doesn't need a tube sockCaptain 41 doesn't need a tube sockCaptain 41 doesn't need a tube sockCaptain 41 doesn't need a tube sockCaptain 41 doesn't need a tube sockCaptain 41 doesn't need a tube sockCaptain 41 doesn't need a tube sock
Wow I wish more manufacturers went to this model
Old 09-20-2016, 04:13 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Dunlop's New Policy Info

Note that its a "minimum" but some places could certainly charge more, so be sure to at least check. Also, it's only certain tires, not all models

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 09-21-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:38 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
The link didn't work for me. If it's called the minimum advertised policy, can't a retailer sell for less than his advertised price? Like the places that say view price in cart?
Old 09-20-2016, 05:47 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
I'm in the market for a new rear tire. 180/55B 18. I'll call the Dunlop dealer in town. I'll bet it's not in stock.

Kimber

Old 09-20-2016, 06:39 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The Costco hot dog and a soda are the same price at the Juneau AK Costco as the one in Sacramento CA ...

I didn't try the pie...

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 09-20-2016, 07:11 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Last time I tried to get tires locally, E3s for the '06 bagger, I was quoted $444--if I brought the wheels to the shop. I'd love to support my local Indy, but the tires were only ~$200 delivered at the time. It's probable I will find another brand versus volunteering to be a$$-raped.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 09-21-2016, 06:47 AM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
FYI I got an e3 rear for my 2013 for 185.77 delivered, a company called 2wheel, it was 195.77 and a 10 dollar discount for the first order.
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 09-21-2016, 11:13 AM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 41 View Post
Wow I wish more manufacturers went to this model
I worked in discount retail for many years and fought just this kind of policy. The last two big companies to fall were Timex and Levi.

Price fixing is against the law no matter how noble the intent.

And I doubt "noble" ever figures in to the equation.

I'll just find a different brand of tire.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 09-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
I'm sure there's a business reason for doing this kind of thing but I've never understood it. As the manufacturer you are going to sell your product to who ever resells it at the same price. The more they sell the more you sell. It seems to me that having resellers sell your product as cheaply as possible is a benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 09-21-2016, 02:43 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

I've been trying to fix my earlier (incorrect) link. i posted a different link where the new leader at Dunlop mentions their MAP plan and their reason for it.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 09-21-2016, 09:52 PM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I haven't bought a new tire since the moco introduced the tire and wheel warranty

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 09-22-2016, 11:43 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
I haven't bought a new tire since the moco introduced the tire and wheel warranty

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Drywall screws, am I right?

Those things are just everywhere

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod