Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Remodeling or Building
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Remodeling or Building Got a project going or finished... Got a question...

Old 09-17-2008, 06:51 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_tapestry View Post
I guess it was a good thing I wasn't in Junction. I had planned to ride home Monday. My house would have been flooded. . . with hot water!
Scary part of being a home owner. Now worry about the washing machine houses. Something not bad to replace.

I put a new bathroom faucet in Sunday night, starting at 8:30. Which wasn't the smartest thing. But it worked out. Its hard to get those nuts.

I got one of the wrenches ona bar that grabs the nut. I have better luck witha crescent wrench and adjsutable though.

Not sure what my inventory level is at. But doesn't hurt to keep a few stop valves, ferrules, plastic rings and pieces for drains on hand. 1/2 andx 3/4 threaded plugs and caps. A valve or two.

I organized all my cu fittings, and put them somewhere, that were laying on the basement floor for two years, and now I can't fidn them.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:03 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Dang 'zerk. You're a lot more organized than I am. I take the broken part to the hardware store and say, "I need one of these." I wouldn't even know what spare parts to keep around.

High Priestess of the Cloudriders
Old 09-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I used to work for family electric and plumbing biz. Ya its tought to know.

Some 1/2 comp stop valves like whats under the sink are not bad to have, though I don't know if I have any. If you have copper pipe. If you got galv then thread on end. If you got threaded pipe a 1/2 plug and cap are not bad to have. Not bad to have a drain kit, with the tail pieces and nuts, ect.

Not sure what I have on hand anymore, probably not what I need next time.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:09 AM
Moderated

polarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sock
Nuts and tools are a good thing to keep organized for a person of your..............uh........................er.... ........... capabilities Tonya.............

Just sayin,

"Great White Pillager and Doof of Kansas"

Old 09-17-2008, 07:13 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

ms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glassesms_tapestry looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear View Post
Nuts and tools are a good thing to keep organized for a person of your..............uh........................er.... ........... capabilities Tonya.............

Just sayin,

hehehehe, there are so many ways I could reply to this. . .

Old 09-17-2008, 08:41 AM
R.I.P.
chemo toddy

y2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milky2k king stays crunchy even in milk
just a suggestion for ya tonya. replace all your flexible lines feeding the sinks, toilets and washing machine with reinforced lines...preferably stainless. if one leaked, chances are the others are the same age and could go anytime.
it'll let ya know if all your shutoffs to those lines work too.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:08 AM
FOG :-(

trooper113 is not in AOL's target demographictrooper113 is not in AOL's target demographictrooper113 is not in AOL's target demographictrooper113 is not in AOL's target demographictrooper113 is not in AOL's target demographictrooper113 is not in AOL's target demographictrooper113 is not in AOL's target demographictrooper113 is not in AOL's target demographictrooper113 is not in AOL's target demographictrooper113 is not in AOL's target demographictrooper113 is not in AOL's target demographic
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k king View Post
just a suggestion for ya tonya. replace all your flexible lines feeding the sinks, toilets and washing machine with reinforced lines...preferably stainless. if one leaked, chances are the others are the same age and could go anytime.
Yup. Good advice. Also keep around at least one complete set of the correct shutoff valves and lines and all the needed associated parts and tools (to include a rotating head faucet wrench) to fix that sort of thing. Also, when leaving the house for any extended time, shut off the water to the house....prevents flooding if something breaks. I can shutoff the house at the water softener, but if nothing else, shut off the house at the meter. If you shut off the house water for several days, turn your water heater to "vacation" or off. Oh, yeah, get a water meter "T-wrench" if you don't have one.

NRA Endowment Member
AMA Member
Old 09-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Fuentes Fuentes Opus X Le Chateau
J.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowJ.A.F.O. has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Sounds like you did a great job...However I'm a bit perplexed on something...Why do you have a "Hot water heater"? I mean, if you have hot water already...Why would you want to heat it?...Odd don't you think?

Old 09-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Sloppy Notches

Pig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
probably not what I need next time.
It's NEVER what you need next time...

Old 09-17-2008, 12:16 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k king View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper113 View Post
Yup. Good advice. Also keep around at least one complete set of the correct shutoff valves and lines and all the needed associated parts and tools (to include a rotating head faucet wrench) to fix that sort of thing. Also, when leaving the house for any extended time, shut off the water to the house....prevents flooding if something breaks. I can shutoff the house at the water softener, but if nothing else, shut off the house at the meter. If you shut off the house water for several days, turn your water heater to "vacation" or off. Oh, yeah, get a water meter "T-wrench" if you don't have one.
Okay, I hear y'all. I'm making a list. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.F.O. View Post
Sounds like you did a great job...However I'm a bit perplexed on something...Why do you have a "Hot water heater"? I mean, if you have hot water already...Why would you want to heat it?...Odd don't you think?
'coz my mama said. . .

Old 09-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper113 View Post
d tools (to include a rotating head faucet wrench)
one.
I have not had good luck with the roting head wrench, suppose its a skill. I do ok with crescent and adjustable wrench, small turns, contorted positions.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Ms t, a bit of advice my friend the plumber gave me, change your washing machine hoses to the braided steel, and if you go away turn your water off! especially if you live in an older house. He would know.
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 09-17-2008, 01:22 PM
8-Ball

Tonya... good work.

Be sure to check the compression nuts, especially the hot water side, within 48 hours. Due to the expansion and contraction, those nuts often loosen. Once retightened, they don't tend to loosen again... always within 48 hours!!!

Note: if this is a faucet that you don't use regularly, be sure to run the hot and cold water through the faucet several times to allow all the parts to heat up and cool as well as react to the pressure of opening and closing the faucet valves during that first 48.

Also, after wiping dry everything that you can, leave a dry paper towel in the cabinet overnight... any small leaks will show on the paper towel....

Last edited by 8-Ball; 09-17-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:32 PM
GrayRider

I got nuthin'..
Old 09-17-2008, 01:37 PM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I have not had good luck with the roting head wrench, suppose its a skill. I do ok with crescent and adjustable wrench, small turns, contorted positions.
I used a screscent, an adjustable and contorsions too. . .seemed to work rather well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kflhr View Post
Ms t, a bit of advice my friend the plumber gave me, change your washing machine hoses to the braided steel, and if you go away turn your water off! especially if you live in an older house. He would know.
The replacement lines I bought looked like nylon reinforced hose, but I promise I'll check into the braided steel for replacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-Ball View Post
Tonya... good work.

Be sure to check the compression nuts, especially the hot water side, within 48 hours. Due to the expansion and contraction, those nuts often loosen. Once retightened, they don't tend to loosen again... always within 48 hours!!!

Note: if this is a faucet that you don't use regularly, be sure to run the hot and cold water through the faucet several times to allow all the parts to heat up and cool as well as react to the pressure of opening and closing the faucet valves during that first 48.

Also, after wiping dry everything that you can, leave a dry paper towel in the cabinet overnight... any small leaks will show on the paper towel....
Okay, I'll check them tonight when I get home. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayRider View Post
I got nuthin'..
I might need a pipe wrench. Know anyone that's got one?