Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
and now just for Mike....

Are you going to try to do this conversion yourself?

Don't do it!

Find a professional!

Seriously though, take a day and ride up to RC cycles in Hayward, have Bob tune your bike. He really knows his shiet, if your not happy with the results he'll keep re-doing it until you are happy.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 10-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
Seriously though, take a day and ride up to RC cycles in Hayward, have Bob tune your bike. He really knows his shiet, if your not happy with the results he'll keep re-doing it until you are happy.
Until 8 is happy with it? Gonna end up with one of those all you can eat lawsuits, when a customer gets cut off after eating 12 lbs of shrimp.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:05 AM
8-Ball

Okay, now that the BS is out of the way...

Anyone else interesting in providing some content/answers to the items listed in post 1...

Ignition and coil are the big questions... which ones, stock, SE, or aftermarket. I think the ignition provides some Speedo functions but not sure what and if that demands a HD ignition.

Also, it appears to me that if I don't care about a reserve tank, I don't need a petcock either. I use the Odo anyway... the idiot light is as worthless as the gas gauge...

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTWillys View Post
Mike,
I doubt that the EFI coil will work with a carb ignition. They both have different OHM requirments..
You cant use a carb coil with the EFI so I doubt that you could go the other way.
Carb coils are not very expensive, especially if you consider what it is going to cost to do your project.
I got to say that I have to agree with you on the conversion.. I am thinking the same myself.
I know that the EFI have some good sides but life sure is a lot simpler with a carb and if a carb had been an option on mine when I bought it I would have gotten carb.
KT... did you read the link in item 2?... it looks like that guy used the EFI coil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kflhr View Post
8-I have a stock coil for ya too. In a different box than the ignitions, I even bet the wires are in the box.
Talk to me baby...
Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

ridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I read the link about the ignition learn sequence.
I don't know if your security system will like a new 3rd party ignition.
The crane Hi-4 seems to be popular. I would contact them. Tell them
you want to ditch the efi and see what they say.
To be sure, they get this question quite often.
While you are playing, the single fire is the way to go.

Introducing the Al Gore engine

Obsolete Doof
1998 Obsolete Springer Rider
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker

Old 10-23-2008, 09:27 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Can't wait to see how this is gonna turn out.

Thorns

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 10-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

ridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorns View Post
Can't wait to see how this is gonna turn out.

Thorns

If he starts now, we may have in back on the road by March.........

Introducing the Al Gore engine

Obsolete Doof
1998 Obsolete Springer Rider
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker

Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 AM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingjerry View Post
I read the link about the ignition learn sequence.
I don't know if your security system will like a new 3rd party ignition.
The crane Hi-4 seems to be popular. I would contact them. Tell them
you want to ditch the efi and see what they say.
To be sure, they get this question quite often.
While you are playing, the single fire is the way to go.
Talked to Warren... he was checking out the Crane... says it works with the bank angle sensor, the security... not sure about cruise control... This one is looking good, I'll add it to the list.

Talk to me about single fire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
I'm wondering about Cruise Control too. My bike is an '02 and it was only available with EFI. Would it really matter if the parts were used from an '04 and up?
Wiring all changed in '04... I think all the parts listed will work except the wiring harness... not saying it won't, but I read something about that in a forum post someplace... can't remember where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66paul View Post
A proper running efi system is infinitely more tunable, each cell is setup , rather than the 3 or 4 setups on the carb. The efi can also work to get the best ignition advance for that cell, thereby giving the max power across the board, instead of the carbs finite settings. The tighter that the EPA comes down on us, the more important it is to have a good running efi.

That being said, when it is messed upm many times it is very hard to fix, in this case, simple is better, but you will never get as good a tune with a carb. The mikuni is a very good setup, it has the CV system and it works better than other cv carbs. Just like efi, your tuner is a very important part of the puzzle.
Thanks for the contact, Paul... I'm just tired of the rat race when it comes to EFI tuning...
Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
OK, here's what I learned from my research a couple of months ago when I wanted to go from carb to EFI.

I have a 2003 Electra Glide. The tanks are the same. There's an adapter screwed into the bung of the tank for the petcock. Remove the fuel pump and you have a carb tank.

The main wiring harness is the same. There are two branches that come off the main. One is for the ignition for the carb, a different one is for the EFI and injectors.

I still don't have the difinitive answer as to part numbers for 2003 to say....... 2005 differences, but I seem to remember that there isn't any. More checking is required.

Then of course, the carb and manifold have to come off, and the throttle body and runner go on. Temp sensor goes into the front head (carb bikes don't have one) Change out the ignition module, change out the wiring branches.

Cruise control is a seperate unit under the left side cover. It talks to the speed sensor in the top of the transmission, not the ignition module.

And as for the coils, all TC's are single fire.

Meng

TKWSV

Last edited by Geezer-Glide; 10-23-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:06 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
mike, I will venture into my basement over the weekend and grab the coil, wires and the ignitions throw them in a box and send them out to you, use what you need.
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 10-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Not a fan of Crane parts. I would use a a Daytona Twin Tech
http://www.daytona-twintec.com/TC88.html
Old 10-23-2008, 12:37 PM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
OK, here's what I learned from my research a couple of months ago when I wanted to go from carb to EFI.

I have a 2003 Electra Glide. The tanks are the same. There's an adapter screwed into the bung of the tank for the petcock. Remove the fuel pump and you have a carb tank.

The main wiring harness is the same. There are two branches that come off the main. One is for the ignition for the carb, a different one is for the EFI and injectors.

I still don't have the difinitive answer as to part numbers for 2003 to say....... 2005 differences, but I seem to remember that there isn't any. More checking is required.

Then of course, the carb and manifold have to come off, and the throttle body and runner go on. Temp sensor goes into the front head (carb bikes don't have one) Change out the ignition module, change out the wiring branches.

Cruise control is a seperate unit under the left side cover. It talks to the speed sensor in the top of the transmission, not the ignition module.

What controls the speedometer... I thought the ECM controls certain aspects... is this picked up by the ignition module? and if so... any ignition module?

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kflhr View Post
mike, I will venture into my basement over the weekend and grab the coil, wires and the ignitions throw them in a box and send them out to you, use what you need.
Thanks man...!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
I offered some choices is all...Swim had a DDT quit on him, so he went Crane I think. Looking at the Crane programming software for their ignition, it looks like DDT wrote it.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post

There are differences between 99-03 and 04 and up. Data bus as I recall.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:42 PM
8-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
I've read of the daytona failures as well... but added them to the pdf... updated as of this post.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:29 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Mike, search down the street. Several guys there have done it and somebody, it may be Headquarters has a comprehensive list of what is needed and what will work for the swap.

Separated at birth? You decide