Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Carburetor
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:45 AM
BigAlsRK

A little help please

Every once in a while, when idling and I blip the throttle I get a backfire thru the carb.......and suggestions.....REAL suggestions.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:52 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Richen up your idle screw a smidge. Stock CV or Mikuni Carb? One turns out, the other in to richen. Ever happen w/ a slow, low RPM roll-on?

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:12 AM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
Richen up your idle screw a smidge. Stock CV or Mikuni Carb? One turns out, the other in to richen. Ever happen w/ a slow, low RPM roll-on?
Stock CV........and no never happens with a slow roll on. Richen the idle by the mixture adjustment and not the speed.....right? I think I am already 3 turns out.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:26 AM
captainlee

you blip !!!!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:30 AM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainlee View Post
you blip !!!!!!
AND Trailer.......
Old 05-31-2007, 07:30 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm

3 turns is the recommended max, so I'm out of ideas. W/ the Mikuni, I adjusted the accelerator pump as well to eliminate it on my FXDWG, but I'm not sure if it's adjustable on the CV.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:33 AM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm

3 turns is the recommended max, so I'm out of ideas. W/ the Mikuni, I adjusted the accelerator pump as well to eliminate it on my FXDWG, but I'm not sure if it's adjustable on the CV.
Reckon it's time to take her in and get someone to take a look at her....Thanks!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:36 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Wait for somebody smart to come by...

Old 05-31-2007, 07:39 AM
GrayRider

Do you have a SE air filter?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:40 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
On the CV the idle mixture screw is a fuel screw. Out more, more fuel. You might need to go up one size on your pilot jet and readjust that screw. It should be in another turn with a larger pilot jet. Mega is right, you are out the max on that screw.

How is your warm up time on a 70 degree day. Do you have to have the enricher out for more than 1/4 mile of riding if you just start it up and ride off, with only about 30 seconds of idle warm up. If so, you are too lean down low.

Second suggestion, stop blipping the throttle at stops.

And, no Mega, the accelerator pump is not adjustable on a CV unless you change pump nozzle size or cut the rod down.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:56 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
Could be an intake leak like my bike had before the build! The rubber O ring was tweaked!

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...
Old 05-31-2007, 09:24 AM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
On the CV the idle mixture screw is a fuel screw. Out more, more fuel. You might need to go up one size on your pilot jet and readjust that screw. It should be in another turn with a larger pilot jet. Mega is right, you are out the max on that screw.

How is your warm up time on a 70 degree day. Do you have to have the enricher out for more than 1/4 mile of riding if you just start it up and ride off, with only about 30 seconds of idle warm up. If so, you are too lean down low.

Second suggestion, stop blipping the throttle at stops.

And, no Mega, the accelerator pump is not adjustable on a CV unless you change pump nozzle size or cut the rod down.
It does take it a while to warm-up with the enricher out. I don't usually blip at stops....I was listening to it run last night while parked at home...sounded a bit rough so I gave it a little blip and she farted thru the carb....I will try the jets....and I am replacing the intake gaskets and possibly the manifold this weekend.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:37 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
One of the most common problems people create with a CV is to only change out the main jet. A stage 1 build only requires the pilot jet to be upped one size. Most people just do the main, which is already large enough for a stage 1 build which still leaves the bike lean down low and rich at the top.
Not sure of your build.

A rough idle is one of the indications of an intake leak. I would do that first before changing anything on the carb.
If you spray WD40 on the intake seals while it is idling and the idle increases, it has a leak. A little messy, but does not hurt paint like starter fluid or carb cleaner will.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:50 AM
BigAlsRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
One of the most common problems people create with a CV is to only change out the main jet. A stage 1 build only requires the pilot jet to be upped one size. Most people just do the main, which is already large enough for a stage 1 build which still leaves the bike lean down low and rich at the top.
Not sure of your build.

A rough idle is one of the indications of an intake leak. I would do that first before changing anything on the carb.
If you spray WD40 on the intake seals while it is idling and the idle increases, it has a leak. A little messy, but does not hurt paint like starter fluid or carb cleaner will.
And also an idle that increases as well....right?
Old 05-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsFXDL View Post
And also an idle that increases as well....right?
I said rough, but I really meant an idle that goes up and down in rpm. Usually increases over normal idle and then drops back down, up and down. Really inconsistent would have been a better word. Sorry for the wrong use of the word rough.
I should reserve rough for the way a big block V-8 sounds with a high lift cam, but that would be more of a lope.