Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Front wheel off....

Finally started work on the bike. Front wheel is off...right side bearing was leaking....left side was kind of greasy....but no visible sign of leakage. Axle looks good. Brakes had about 1/3 pad left. Changing them out along with a new line. Also with the wheel off, was able to check the tire closely, definately some cupping and I will guess that is the vibration I was picking up around 70. Going to order the Front Elite 3, any ideas where the best deal is on these. Also....HD wants about 35 dollars each for the bearings. Any ideas on where to get these a bit cheaper? I have looked around and found some for about half price. Any advice (on the repairs) is appreciated!

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 04-05-2014, 08:20 PM
A Delinquent by Birth

SLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sockSLOWHOUND doesn't need a tube sock
Check ,harleypartscheap.com

Old 04-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
They are an odd-sized metric bearing. I looked for an alternate source a while back and only came up with a hit in China.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Double-D, MLA III, CLS

BluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Avoid Chinese bearings!

Check w an electric motor shop. Get SKFs in the proper size.

------------------
Not tesponsible for rypos. Freaking tiny thum operatd kaybards

Oil, heat, vibration and noise.

At work, oil analysis, thermography, vibration analysis, and ultrasonics.

At play, Harley.

Same same, right?

Only 43 more states to go!

Remember, never make a straight on a left hand bridge.

It WILL leave a mark.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Under Construction

TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
They're 52mmx21mmx25.6mm(1"), assuming you have a 1" axle. A brief look on Google indicates SKF as a source now, but I didn't see any part numbers.

Posted under duress using now-buggy FREE Tapatalk I previously paid for.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50

Last edited by TalonChief; 04-06-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
If they are HD bearings, you can't beat 50% off. If you have a part number, check New Castle HD in PA.

An interned search for the tires should point you in the right direction for replacements. Unfortunatly, Eastern Performance doesn't sell the E3's. At least they didn't the last time I looked.

Kimber

Old 04-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
If they are HD bearings, you can't beat 50% off. If you have a part number, check New Castle HD in PA.

An interned search for the tires should point you in the right direction for replacements. Unfortunatly, Eastern Performance doesn't sell the E3's. At least they didn't the last time I looked.
I got mine at eastern and they had the best price. They don't show on the website, but they'll order them and have them drop shipped.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Double-D

Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
thanks!

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
Vance and Hines Ovals
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams

Old 05-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Double-D

Tore the Master Cylinder down, cleaned it all and put it back together. Rubber seals all looked good. Master Cylinder was just downright dirty. Everything is back together and started torquing down the bolts but got a bit concerned whether the wrench was accurate so going to go buy a new one for peace of mind. Hoping to be back on the road sometime this week. Fingers crossed.

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
Vance and Hines Ovals
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams

Old 05-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Double-D

Bought the torque wrench, tightened it all up. Did a gravity feed, then bled the brakes....a no go. Hmmmm, found a rebuild kit up north. Replaced, kind of bench bled the master cylinder. Put it all back together, pumped the master cylinder up, another gravity feed on both sides, bled both sides and after pumping the lever a gazillion times I have a weak brake lever. Worn out from trying so used one of Tony's bungi's and tied up the lever for an overnight try.....hoping this works cuz I am about to start riding without front brakes.

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
Vance and Hines Ovals
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams

Old 05-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
I have always opened the bleeder/s with a tube/s to a container and let her eat until I was sure the lines were full, filling master cylinder as needed. Didn't take long before I had a perfectly bled brake system.

Last time I did it was when I replaced the master cylinder, calipers and new brake lines for the brembo conversion, so it was a completely empty system. Had good lever in about 15-20 minutes. I recall pulling the lever slowly until I saw the first few bubbles to get the fluid moving.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:06 AM
Under Construction

I've had good luck on stuborn ones with tying the lever to the bar and letting it sit overnight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 05-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
I have always opened the bleeder/s with a tube/s to a container and let her eat until I was sure the lines were full, filling master cylinder as needed. Didn't take long before I had a perfectly bled brake system.

Last time I did it was when I replaced the master cylinder, calipers and new brake lines for the brembo conversion, so it was a completely empty system. Had good lever in about 15-20 minutes. I recall pulling the lever slowly until I saw the first few bubbles to get the fluid moving.

I completed this step again last night right before......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
I've had good luck on stuborn ones with tying the lever to the bar and letting it sit overnight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I did this step.

I woke up this morning with some brake!! I bled each side one time, tied the lever again and proceded to put the nacelle back together, new battery installed, mink oil on the seat and installed, chrome engine bolt covers installed. Plugs looked OK, still running a bit rich it seems. Then noticed saddle bag latch, Top Part on P.I. was loose, trying to epoxy it back on. Fired up the engine, Sounded good. shut her down. ...Whew....Waiting on the test ride.

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
Vance and Hines Ovals
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams

Old 05-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Double-D

A couple of test rides and still didnt have the lever I wanted. So continued the bungy cord thing and I now have decent brakes....still would like a tighter lever but its much better. Rode to Moms today (30 miles round trip) and all seems pretty good. I have a few rattles I need to take care of but the bike is now road worthy I believe. Thanks to all that helped out with parts and advice!

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
Vance and Hines Ovals
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams