Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Accessories
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Accessories Horns, Pegs, Guards, MP3, Sat. Radio, GPS, etc.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Livin Life

darrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suckdarrell can happily embrace the suck
Just Sayin'

Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
One thing is, good crimp and proper stripping. Make sure no insulation under crimp. Plus a good crimper.

I work with 50 year old crimps, these are ok. Though I am sure like everything they fail. But the ones I work with are in panel, not rolling down the road.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
Interesting, verrry interesting!!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
If you are intensely bored, here's an AF manual on wire repair and general shop practices. I can't find a digital version of the actual acft wiring manual.

clicky
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto

Last edited by TalonChief; 04-02-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
I've used similar-looking splices in high-current areas exposed to oil and hydraulic seepage.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 04-04-2008, 12:44 AM
DrHeathenScum

I use the "butt soldering" method almost exclusively when I have to solder a connection... usually called a "Western Union Joint", named after the splice method used on the old telegraph wires. Even without solder, if properly twisted, it's a very hard to pull apart joint... it almost tightens onto its self if done properly... however, we always solder it, right? Of course. After soldering, follow with shrink tubing (you did remember to put the shrink tubing over the wires BEFORE twisting and soldering, right? Of course)

Side note, if you ever have to use electrical tape, use 3M Super 33 electrical tape. There really is no substitute. As an example of how good this stuff is, I had a misfire on my Accord that I traced down to the plastic boot going into the top of the valve cover down to the spark plug (dude, it's a Hemi)... the spark was arcing out of a tiny hole in the plastic where it was cast... I wrapped it a few times with Super33 and the car hasn't misfired in 2 years. I did buy a new set of wires, but I wanted to see how long the tape would last.

If you have to use butt connectors, ONLY use the heat shrink sealing kind... and a GOOD pair of crimpers, NOT the $5.99 AutoZone turds... get yourself a nice pair of Kleins or a ratchet crimper like the Ideal CrimpMaster. If installed properly, they do not come apart, corrode, or loosen.

Posi-Lock connectors are very good too... they hold very tightly and are reusable. I use them for temporary connection or connections that I may need to remove later. There is a sealed kind available, but they are bulky... just use some bulb/connector grease on the inside of the Posi-Lock before assembling and all will be fine... heck, you can shrink wrap it too if it makes you happy.

Disclaimer: You may not agree with me, but I have been doing wiring on cars, bikes, trains (the small kind), computer networks, phone systems, alarm systems, etc. for many many years. I do claim to know what I am talking about.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:57 PM
DrHeathenScum

3M Super 33 tape.... even good for fixing a blow out.

Told you it was good shiite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tapedbelly31wksb.jpg (40.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg tapedbelly31wks.jpg (49.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-09-2008, 10:32 PM
not Lady G, but....

route66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withroute66paul is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I like tin both ends first, then when you solder over them, it sticks. Sometimes in a tight area, it is very hard to get the solder to stick on both wires if not tinned first.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." (Tacitus, Roman historian 55-117 A.D.)

Original 43%er

CAT HERDER GORGE CROSSER SKYLINE

My buddy!
Old 05-09-2008, 11:22 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Here ya go...

Last edited by thrasher; 01-28-2009 at 03:06 PM.