Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > General Bike Discussions
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 05-27-2019, 06:36 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Shift linkage

Just a reminder, check them occasionally. Was planning an 800 mile round trip two day ride. Night before the heal tow shifter fell flat on my toes. Found the front shifter linkage bolt, shaft and shift arm all had galled up threads. Unable to bandaid fix. Fortunately was only a mile from getting back to the RV. Spent yesterday finding an open dealer in Ohio with the part.

Reading the internet, lots of failures on the splines, mostly with 2014 and newer with as little at 6000 miles. Many rrplaced by warranty. At 86k, no warranty on mine anymore.

All fixed and headed out for a day ride.

Kimber

Old 05-27-2019, 07:13 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
You mean the linkage arm behind the primary that fell off the shaft back there?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 05-27-2019, 07:45 AM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
You mean the linkage arm behind the primary that fell off the shaft back there?
No. Inside shaft of the front linkage.

Kimber

Old 05-27-2019, 08:46 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
OK, I've had the outer levers come loose on the '06, then the linkage on the trans shaft decided to fall off at the bottom of a highway off ramp in Wendover NV on the 2011.

Was able to wiggle it back onto the shaft and next morning some large fuel hose and zip ties, to keep it in place, got me home.

I'll have to check the front inner link tightness also, before my upcoming trip. (I carry a 3/8" drive 1/4" hex bit "socket" on the bike with me because of this delightful happening)

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 05-27-2019, 01:56 PM
Known Associate

Last Cigar Smoked: Hate'um
Mountainkowboy has failed to amuse us
I had the shifter shaft break clean at the back of the primary on the highway on the RK. Had to jam it in 3rd gear to get it home, drilled and added a zerk to keep it lubed.

The AWAKENING

Old 05-27-2019, 08:53 PM
Original Delinquent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
OK, I've had the outer levers come loose on the '06, then the linkage on the trans shaft decided to fall off at the bottom of a highway off ramp in Wendover NV on the 2011.

Was able to wiggle it back onto the shaft and next morning some large fuel hose and zip ties, to keep it in place, got me home.

I'll have to check the front inner link tightness also, before my upcoming trip. (I carry a 3/8" drive 1/4" hex bit "socket" on the bike with me because of this delightful happening)
Check the size of that front hex bolt. I think you will find it's smaller than 1/4". It was on mine. The heal and tow shift arm bolts are 1/4", the shift arm was not.

Kimber

Old 05-28-2019, 08:50 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
Check the size of that front hex bolt. I think you will find it's smaller than 1/4". It was on mine. The heal and tow shift arm bolts are 1/4", the shift arm was not.
Uffda & Iffrin!

You are correct, it is 3/16", on the front inner link arm, have that in the saddle bag also, whew.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...