Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 04-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Doof Cadet

Last Cigar Smoked: don't smoke no friggin ceegars
knuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sock
replacing brake pads

Hey you all. I want to replace the front brake pads on me 07 softail standard.
socket sizes? proceedure.......then removal of pads from caliper. Any and all help appreciated.

Oh, any type of pad better and why, or worth it.

Doofbag Fer EverI smell Fish
Old 04-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Here ya go..

http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/service_tech.htm

Pay Close Attention To how The Pads Came Out, They Do Not Have The Same Orientation.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Keeper of Slivowitz

Heidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowHeidi has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Old 04-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Doof Cadet

knuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sockknuckleheader- doesn't need a tube sock
Thank you Warren and Isabel. I'll be gathering the few missing items and git busy. Torque wrench... might tune it by ear.

Last edited by knuckleheader-; 04-10-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:00 PM
ocifer slacky pants
Double-D

Location: Half way down the trail to hell, in a shady meadow of green
Last Cigar Smoked: Nub Dub
squish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
i can tell you that the bolts that hold the pads in place ARE NOT REVERSE TORX

CAUTION! You have entered a Harley based forum. Apply a liberal amount of BS repellent to skin before reading anything by anybody.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Doof Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache36 View Post
So,what does that mean? Do I need a special socket or tool?

Old 04-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
10mm 12-point I believe. You can theoretically change the pads without pulling the calipers, but you really should clean them the way that the Lyndall site suggests. Use Lyndall Z+ pads and you won't be sorry.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 04-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Tools needed are in the link.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Mississippi Cajun

KD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Get 1/4 inch 12 pt socket for the bolts. Nothing else works, trust me.
If you don't have the little tool to push the piston back in you'll probably have to use a small prybar to get it to move in enough to get the caliper off and then back on again.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Doof Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
10mm 12-point I believe. You can theoretically change the pads without pulling the calipers, but you really should clean them the way that the Lyndall site suggests. Use Lyndall Z+ pads and you won't be sorry.
Thanks Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
Tools needed are in the link.
Apache's comment(below) had my attention. That link you posted will be the one I'll use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5CQT View Post
If you don't have the little tool to push the piston back in you'll probably have to use a small prybar to get it to move in enough to get the caliper off and then back on again.
I'll have them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache36 View Post

I'll enjoy a sunny day fer this task....

Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5CQT View Post
1/4" 12 point socket, Not an "E" socket, for the pad retaining pins, putty knife(s) to slip between the pad(s) and rotor to retract the pistons, remember to take out brake fluid in the master cylinder to allow the fluid at the pistons to have some place to go. PUT! THE TOP BACK ON!!! before pushing the pistons in. Or fluid will get on your paint, chrome and other stuff.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 04-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 04-11-2010, 05:10 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
what everybody else said, 1/4 12pt socket, putty knife, brake cleaner.....call me if you have problems
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 04-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Doof Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
1/4" 12 point socket, Not an "E" socket, for the pad retaining pins, putty knife(s) to slip between the pad(s) and rotor to retract the pistons, remember to take out brake fluid in the master cylinder to allow the fluid at the pistons to have some place to go. PUT! THE TOP BACK ON!!! before pushing the pistons in. Or fluid will get on your paint, chrome and other stuff.
Thank you. I'll put your points on my note pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kflhr View Post
what everybody else said, 1/4 12pt socket, putty knife, brake cleaner.....call me if you have problems
Yes Sir. I'll be doing this probably next week.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:50 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I would use the EBC HH sintered pads, they stop a hell of a lot better than the Lyndall kevlar. The kevlar fade under extreme use like mountains or heavy bikes and kind of suck in the rain. The EBC are awesome no matter what you throw at them, they stop my bagger on a dime, only issue is if you got fancy chrome rotors thay will make them un chrome, they are tough on rotors but who cares, both brakes and rotors are sacraficial and designed to stop you and not look good, so, if ya want to stop... EBC HH Sintered on front and rear. Your eyes will pop out the first time you nail them.