Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > TroubleHead Garage (Geno's Place)
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

TroubleHead Garage (Geno's Place) Evo's , Shovels, Pans, and anything else...

Old 02-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Big Double-D

bigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suck
83" Evo Kit

anybody have any information or used this or similar kits?
Now that my garage is slightly warmer Im gonna do this upgrade finally, just exactly what I am gonna do is yet to be decided..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...225408158&rd=1
Old 03-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Woody218

You get the same 83 ci displacement by boring out stock cylinders .030", and adding pistons.

Bore and hone stock cylinders - $125.00

KB pistons and rings - $160.00

Lots cheaper doing it that way than what they're selling those for on eBay.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Big Double-D

bigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suckbigjailerman can happily embrace the suck
thanks Woody, as always good advice, guess im just a dumbass!
Old 03-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

ridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Are you still looking at options or have you made a decision?

Introducing the Al Gore engine

Obsolete Doof
1998 Obsolete Springer Rider
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker

Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Considering an 80" stock EVO is really 81.4" not really big bore. I am at 82" being 0.010" over. Some year I may get to 83"

Great advice Woody.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Big Double-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingjerry View Post
Are you still looking at options or have you made a decision?
I think Im going with the following if the current wave of not so great luck subsides -

go .30 over on the jugs as Woody suggested;
pistons of course with new lifters/adjustable pushrods;
have Hillside spruce up the heads;
EV27 cam..

I have been told that I can stick with the stock carb and ignition, which Id like to do to save some bucks, but Im always open to suggestions. I had wanted to have this done by now, but you know what they say about the best laid plans..
Presently I have about 37000 on this stock 95 FXDWG which I purchased last spring ...
Old 03-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Known Associate

TXCHOP has failed to amuse us
Stock carb should be o.k with proper jetting/tuning...
Ignition depends on what the final compression will be. If you let Scott do your heads, he will figure all that out for you and will suggest stock or aftermarket ignition.his valve job alone will wake her right up.

Sounds like a nice punch you will get there.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Big Double-D

thanks, Im hoping to wake her up a bit to move my big ass a little quicker, especially in the low/mid range
gonna strip her Thursday or Friday and send out the goodies to Hillside
Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Woody218

Dave, you might also want to consider getting the compression up some, it will also really help that cam come to life. 9.5:1-10:1 would make that EV-27 real happy.

KB has some 10:1 pistons that would work really good for you. The thing about KB pistons is, they are hypereutectic, which means you can run the piston/cylinder wall clearance as low as .0005, but .0010-.0015 is probably a better clearance to shoot for. Forged pistons are good if you intend to run a turbocharger or nitrous, but pretty much are overkill for street use. Plus, you have to set the clearance higher for forged because they expand more as they heat up, which means you hear some clatter until the engine warms up.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Known Associate

TXCHOP has failed to amuse us
Woody, i do agree with getting the compression up a bit. I would use Wiseco's(just my preference) and skim the heads the rest of the way for compression needed.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Woody218

True, but, in order to get to 10:1 with flat top pistons, you'd need to mill around .090" off the heads, and, if you have oversized valves, that moves the O.D. of the intake valve really close to the cylinder wall.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Type O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
just my dumb ass opinion i went with the KB .30 and Ev27 cam 9.5 compression because of fuel and not wanting ping. i now you can tune it out but then your also loosing power .just my dumb ass opinion . i did more than that but this is for a low dollar billed

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 03-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

ridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Just adding my ingnorat opinion.

You're doing well letting Scott spruce up the heads. Let him pick the piston
and then shave some off the heads to bring up the compression.
You know that he likes the Wood w6 so he may suggest it and it is a good
bump stick.
All you'll need is rejetting on the carb to get things right.
Single fire is always nice but if you are saving $$ there is no real need.
The boring cyl, new pistons, and headwork will be great, along with a new
cam.

Introducing the Al Gore engine

Obsolete Doof
1998 Obsolete Springer Rider
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker