Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Engine & Transmission
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 09-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
See there! What you started!

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 09-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
BTW, one of the best mods was fixing that damn tab on the kickstand. It no longer drags every time I turn left. It's actually been a bit liberating not having to worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 09-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
Maybe he can visit me again and loan me some repair guidance?

Tom, how is your bike doing? Did you get the weird fuel issue sorted?

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 09-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I don't drag in left handers either.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan
Old 05-29-2016, 12:31 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Must; Stop; Modding

Not what yer thinking.
Nope. No big performance changes, but I did replace the compensator with the latest SE version and installed a Bandit clutch a while back. I had to replace the belt yesterday (sigh...again) and while in there I modified the Bandit clutch with a goal of improving its friction zone. The Bandit is a 'racing' clutch built with gripping in mind and they are known for having little friction zone in the cable version.... The CVO hydraulic version is almost toggle-switch in feel. They are not well suited for doing the motor cop riding that Dan and Ken are always doing. I've been thinking up a solution to this for a while. Since I had it apart, now was the time to try it. Knee mill, index table, wire welder, some springs...
Some experimenting and my idea is working. I love it when an idea *works*.
It's handy having a machine shop to play with!
Figure 8s and u-turns are simple, now!

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-29-2016, 02:07 PM
gAZINTAs

Last Cigar Smoked: Peterson Fermoy B10-'Ruins of Isengard'
Settertude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSettertude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSettertude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSettertude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSettertude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSettertude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSettertude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSettertude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSettertude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSettertude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withSettertude is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
It's an affliction. I tell ya.

Most recent:
Aug 30, 2015. Odo. 26571
Completed install of
30 tooth sprocket conversion
Gusset mod of swing arm
Continuing to use stock belt (on since 18780mi)
Modded Barnett scorpion clutch (crap design) to allow oiling of release bearing.
Replaced bearing (crap design) with 7200 series angular contact open bearing
Main trans seal
Shift shaft seal
Primary case seal
Primary case bearing
Installed new rear brake pads EBC HH.
Replaced dzus pins in saddlebags with thumb knob bolts and J-nuts

Notably needing attention: Ohlin shock leaking.

Is that the compensator elimination thingy I'm reading about.
The thingy that might all a sudden go blooey and ruin motor thingy stuff?

"Well, I'll be a suck egg mule"
Old 05-29-2016, 04:15 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Not what yer thinking.
Nope. No big performance changes, but I did replace the compensator with the latest SE version and installed a Bandit clutch a while back. I had to replace the belt yesterday (sigh...again) and while in there I modified the Bandit clutch with a goal of improving its friction zone. The Bandit is a 'racing' clutch built with gripping in mind and they are known for having little friction zone in the cable version.... The CVO hydraulic version is almost toggle-switch in feel. They are not well suited for doing the motor cop riding that Dan and Ken are always doing. I've been thinking up a solution to this for a while. Since I had it apart, now was the time to try it. Knee mill, index table, wire welder, some springs...
Some experimenting and my idea is working. I love it when an idea *works*.
It's handy having a machine shop to play with!
Figure 8s and u-turns are simple, now!

My god man, where's the pictures.

Kimber

Old 05-29-2016, 04:40 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Must; Stop; Modding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
Is that the compensator elimination thingy I'm reading about.

The thingy that might all a sudden go blooey and ruin motor thingy stuff?

Nope! No, the "30 tooth conversion " is swapping a 30t transmission output sprocket in place of the 32t stock sprocket (the front *belt* sprocket).

The compensator change is simply the later version of the "SE compensator" to replace the earlier version that came on the bike. The newer version is designed to lubricate better. The SE comp (new or old version) has a three-spoked front sprocket. The new version of it uses a T70 bolt.

Btw, there are a bunch a things that can make the motor go 'blooey'...
Ask Mike.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 05-29-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:45 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroad Mike View Post
My god man, where's the pictures.

State secrets man.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-29-2016, 06:10 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
State secrets man.

Oh, No patent infringement, right?

New Products from the Shop of Ricky...

Ricky's Clutch Lock Up...

If it ain't broke, your not riding hard enough...

Kimber

Old 05-29-2016, 06:14 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Must; Stop; Modding

I haven't decided if I should patent this improvement to their product or just market it.
It's not a lockup, it's a transition mod, closer to a "slipper" but doesn't affect or reduce the Bandit's ultimate clamping. It only affects the friction zone, broadening it significantly, using the whole of the lever's range or any portion of it....
Oh, btw, did I mention that it's adjustable... Through the derby cover, without draining.
Oh, you can revert to stock Bandit operation in five minutes through the derby.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 05-29-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:19 PM
Original Delinquent

The Barnet lock up you sold me appears to be working juuuust fine. Installed the medium springs. Did not feel any slippage, and I can tell the difference as it's engaging with lever effort. Don't really notice it as I'm going through the gears unless I'm thinking about it.

Kimber

Old 05-29-2016, 06:42 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

When clutching at 4-5 grand (if you do that) you'll definitely note the extra effort required. The Bandit's been slipping it a bit (actually just making the shifts "soft") but I had the lightest spring in. I put the heavier springs in with one shim each and it's much better. I miss the easy lever pull if the VPC.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-29-2016, 07:01 PM
Original Delinquent

Yes, I was bumping up against my 4k imposed tune limits today.. If I didn't, it felt like hitting the rev limiter.

I was reading you can mix and match 3 x 3 on the springs to custom set the pressure. So far the 6 mediums are sufficient. Guess once the tune is done, if need be, I can replace 3 of the medium with firm... Or, if it's too much, I can put 3 soft springs in and have a little less pull.

Kimber

Old 05-29-2016, 07:44 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Must; Stop; Modding

The VPC is awesome in it's ability to clamp tight at high rpm w/o your having to deal with high lever effort at all times. At low rpm tho, you're still relying solely on the springs, so, two-up loaded and lugging is where you'll have to select spring pressures for.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 05-29-2016 at 07:49 PM.