Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

Old 09-26-2007, 03:22 AM
Above Average DDude

Last Cigar Smoked: A. Fuente, Curly Head
YankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sock
Yep. Clamp it hard. tube should be reamed out (burrs cleaned off inside of tube where it was cut) and tube should stick up past the tool by about the thickness of a dime. Don't forget to put the flare nut on before you flare it!!

Sh!t doesn't stink unless ya' poke it!

Deut 23:12-13 (How to sh!t in the woods)
Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 AM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
The tool I used to use for flaring, opened up and had holes for differant size tubes, then you pushed in the reamer? which was on a threaded rod.

I don't remember having to push real hard, but hard enough to hold it.

Its been 10 years since I flared anything. So I am not swearing on it.

I bet if you google it you could find a site with step by step.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Above Average DDude

YankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sockYankeeBob doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
The tool I used to use for flaring, opened up and had holes for differant size tubes, then you pushed in the reamer? which was on a threaded rod.

I don't remember having to push real hard, but hard enough to hold it.

Its been 10 years since I flared anything. So I am not swearing on it.

I bet if you google it you could find a site with step by step.
The part of which you speak makes the flare. You must clean the burr off the inside first. Otherwise you will have a poor flare which could leak.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Duhast,

Sorry, I have been in customer meetings the last two days. Double flare is strong, and makes the flare as thick as the tubing. It is used on brake lines and other applications where vibration could be a problem. Here is the tool -

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40878

You first use the adapter to push the end of the copper tubing inward, then use the flaring tool to produce a nice flare seal. And yes, slide the nut on first ya doof!

Thorns

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 09-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Same as it ever was.

duhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygiene
Do the same fittings work with double as with single flair?

Old 09-26-2007, 03:59 PM
GrayRider

I know some folks that are handy with copper tubing.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Same as it ever was.

duhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygieneduhast seems to have excellent oral hygiene
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayRider View Post
I know some folks that are handy with copper tubing.

Send 'em over.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:10 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Yes, the double flare is a thicker flare, but the nut is the same. Look at a brake line if you want to see a double flare. Infact you may be able to get a steel brake line the length you need, but you need a bending tool to bend it, because it can kink very easy.

Thorns

Why the fcku didn't you go with steel braided hose? YA DOOF!

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 09-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Same as it ever was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorns View Post

Why the fcku didn't you go with steel braided hose? YA DOOF!
Because I am upholding the Grand Old Biker Tradition (even though I am not a biker) of F.T.W., I'm doing this my way, not like every other Twin Cam Blockhead on the road. I've got conchos, fringe, buckhorns, mis-matched custom cut Fatboy rims, and a shiny penny on the bike and I want a copper hard oil gauge line. And it will have one.

Until it fails, spraying down the right side of the bike, me, and the pissed off O/L, stranding us at milepost 116 until the sun gets low enough for the bike to cool to the point that I can touch it and rip the sumbitch off and hurl it into the desert and fit the braided SS hose from the saddlebag.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:12 AM
Above Average DDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhast View Post

Until it fails, spraying down the right side of the bike, me, and the pissed off O/L, stranding us at milepost 116 until the sun gets low enough for the bike to cool to the point that I can touch it and rip the sumbitch off and hurl it into the desert and fit the braided SS hose from the saddlebag.
Unfortunately for you, it will probably be at milepost 43!!

Old 10-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhast View Post
Any particular reason? I'd have to take more apart....

BTW, the hard line was suggested by the biker parts guy at Irvine H.D. This guy is pretty old school and prolly around 50. He's not a yuppie type at all.
Maybe you need to check his decoder ring.

Can't we trade you for LB, and ?? We can throw someone else in too. Not sure who though.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Excommunicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayRider View Post
SS braided hose.
Its late, I should go t bed. But I have trouble getting to sleep on Sunday nights.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Excommunicated

I think it is important t update technical threads. I myslef do alot of searching, when basing decisions.

Someone could read this inthe future.