Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Oil & Lubrication
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Oil & Lubrication Possibly, we need just one more discussion...

Old 05-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Some thing else to confuse...

Oil recommendations by the MOCO for TwinCam.

Lowest ambient temps.
Below 40 10w40
Above 40 20w50
Above 60 50wt.
Above 80 60wt.

Who does it and if not, why not.

I started last year when I was checking the manual for the oil rating needed for the crankcase.

20w50 in the fall and through spring. 60wt. in the summer.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Nope, 15w50 year around.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:32 PM

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
Nope, 15w50 year around.
Why? Given the recommendations.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:39 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
Moco also recommends that you don't modify your bike and have them do all the maintenance.

Joe

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 05-17-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
Moco also recommends that you don't modify your bike and have them do all the maintenance.

Joe
Two different issues, arrogance v technical.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
Because I never know what the min temperature is going to be where I ride. the multi grade covers a wider range of temps.
I think the recommendations are a hold over from the Shovelhead days.
A good synthetic oil will hold its properties even in the hottest conditions. Since I run an oil cooler, my oil temp never sees anything over 200 in the oil tank. Oil is cooled prior to entering the tank so I know the temp of the oil before it enters the engine.
I tried 60w last summer in AZ. I heard no difference in lifter noise when hot and I do not think the motor was lubed as well during cold starts as with the multi grade. Just my opinion.
I have ridden into town on a 80 degree day and woke up to find snow on my saddle. I have crossed 100+ degree deserts only to climb up over a pass with snow on the ground.
Putting in 60w for a 1000 mile ride down to the coast in the summer makes no sense to me when the next week I may ride up the CO and have to change to multi grade if I follow the recommendations. There is no way to follow the recommendations on a road trip unless you change your oil every day.

Oil performs two functions in a motor.
1. To prevent metal to metal contact and allow surfaces to slide across each other with minimal wear.
2. To remove heat from the motor.
Multi grade synthetic oil covers all the bases for me and in a modern tight tolerance motor, provides amble lubrication and heat dissipation in even the hottest conditions without breaking down and still function under cold conditions as well.

Last edited by LittleBear; 05-18-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:36 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milkdynageno stays crunchy even in milk
winter=20-50wt
summer= 50wt

Cloudrider 2010
Former Original Doof
Creator of the 43 & 7 hand signs...