Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > MoCo
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

MoCo The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:07 AM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
I took my daughter to look at BMWs at an Atlanta dealer. Nice bikes and I think I could be comfortable on a K1200LT. Problem for me is the lack of a dealer for overpriced service within two hours. Just can't see spending that much on something that there's no one around to help me with.

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
Old 11-01-2011, 07:50 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
All the talk about this bike or that bike is better than the HD we ride is interesting. I get the issues with quality. If you talk to any stealer, they don't build these for folks that actually ride. They expect the trades after 2 years with 3-5k miles on them. I guess I've been fortunate that I've had relatively few issues with either of my HD bikes. The Fatboy never went in for any warranty work and has never had any issues. Both FLHXs I've owned were issue free for the most part. Little things went wrong, but that's part of the risk with owning a machine. The foreign bikes and even domestic ones all have issues at one time or another. We keep comparing value for value. I like being able to wrench on my bikes. EFI was intimidating at first, but now, not so much. With most of the other quality bikes, you have to rely on the very expensive and most often inconvenient service. Riding as much as we do, those expensive services would be more often thus eliminating some of that 'value'. While in Iraq and figuring on my next bike, I looked at BMW and Ducati sport touring bikes. While both had prices comparable to the FLHX I settled on, neither were as shade tree mechanic friendly as the FLHX.

Guys I rode with in the UK rode a myriad of bikes. One ride, we had 12 bikes with us. Among these were Ducs, Beemers, Triumph, MV Agusta, and HD, all very nice bikes. One ****** had the highest mileage. Was 2 years old and had upwards of 50k miles on it (and was out of its warranty). On this ride, we had to get a tow for 3 bikes. 2 Ducs (electrical) and the high mileage ****** (shaft drive gear hand grenaded). All those repairs were expensive as shit, but the guys rode the snot out of them despite the $$ investment.

I guess my point is that everything mechanical will have issues. If you ride it something is bound to wear out no matter the make.

Enjoy the ride.

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Despite my bagger bashing, the real reason I stick with the FXR is that it just feels right. My wifes Bonneville is a beautiful bike but I don't enjoy riding it as much as my own. The Street Triple I had in Switzerland was stupid fast and fun, but not a long term relationship bike. There's a particular Ultra with deep special meaning calling my name but I'd have to sell my bike to get it and I just can't.

Do I spend a lot of time fixing stuff? Yep. But I'm with Swede and I enjoy the ride.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:18 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
ride - break -repair - ride......

oh wait that was my ironhead...
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 11-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I don't disagree that anything mechanical is bound to have problems.

I just have a real problem buying a premium motorcycle and having stupid stuff break regularly. Does every brand have their idiosyncrasies? Sure. But I think it's ridiculous that I've destroyed 3 sets of rotors in less than 2 years. That's not my riding style, that's cheap metal. It's ridiculous that the chrome flaked off my wheels. It's ridiculous that the rocker arms worked themselves loose, that the clutch and compensator disintegrated, that the IDS came apart, and all the other little things went wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bike. But we're rapidly entering "Battered Rider Syndrome".

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 11-01-2011, 05:43 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post

I just have a real problem buying a premium motorcycle and having stupid stuff break regularly. Does every brand have their idiosyncrasies? Sure. But I think it's ridiculous that I've destroyed 3 sets of rotors in less than 2 years. That's not my riding style, that's cheap metal. It's ridiculous that the chrome flaked off my wheels. It's ridiculous that the rocker arms worked themselves loose, that the clutch and compensator disintegrated, that the IDS came apart, and all the other little things went wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bike. But we're rapidly entering "Battered Rider Syndrome".
I wonder how your bike would have been if it never saw the SHED OF DOOM.....
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 11-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I've put 45,000 miles on the bike in 23 months. All told, the bike's spent a little over 30 days in the shop.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 11-02-2011, 03:20 PM
???

msocko3 has failed to amuse us
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post

After watching my dad go through 3 start buttons, a rear O2 sensor, and front wheel bearings in 28,000 miles on his 09 Trike, then my 2010 trike has a start button fail and the rear brakes in 17,000 miles. The 2nd start button my dad had fail cost us our trip to Yellowstone, it stranded us in North Platte NE for 3 days over the 4th of July weekend. I'm in a love hate relationship, I love both my bike and trike but I hate Harley Davidson as it is now. I see the company circling the bowl on its way down to the smelly depths unless they start building some quality products.

06 Ultra Powered by 120" Head-Quarters

2012 GL1800 Hannigan
Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Type O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
This is what I see . All companies are out to make money so when your bike is out of warranty improve it . Fix all the little dumb azz things that Harley was to cheap or just didn't know how to do in the first place . Stop trading in your bike every couple of years cause they aren't going to get much better,granted they have made some big strides sense my 92 ultra kinda like a model T and a 2000 Lincoln . Your complaints are valid but as always HD don't care or they would have taken and fixed all these issues . Who's next

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Double-D, MLA III, CLS

BluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBluesFan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I'd love to see them sell me stuff that has a shot of fitting properly.

We are supposed to see over the windshield, so they sell w tall ones.

We are supposed to have hands just below shoulder level w elbows slightly bent.

So they sell short bars that are far away.

Etc etc etc

Oil, heat, vibration and noise.

At work, oil analysis, thermography, vibration analysis, and ultrasonics.

At play, Harley.

Same same, right?

Only 43 more states to go!

Remember, never make a straight on a left hand bridge.

It WILL leave a mark.