Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Oil & Lubrication
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Oil & Lubrication Possibly, we need just one more discussion...

Old 11-10-2011, 01:30 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Type O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
So let me see if I have this rite ,your doing these test to check for abnormal engine ware and premature brake down . Yes ?

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 11-10-2011, 05:41 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARLET View Post
So let me see if I have this rite ,your doing these test to check for abnormal engine ware and premature brake down . Yes ?
Yes. Aside from the fact that I have a nice 3rd-party confirmation of when I do my services, I also have a pretty good idea of what's going on inside the engine. The bearings aren't coming apart, the oil is doing its job, and so on.

At the beginning, I was curious to see the state of the oil at 5,000 mile change intervals, but after two sets of results, any concern over that was put to rest.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 11-10-2011, 09:17 AM
The other white meat

Last Cigar Smoked: La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial
Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I ought to do this once to see if my brakes are failing

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 11-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Type O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withType O is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Yes. Aside from the fact that I have a nice 3rd-party confirmation of when I do my services, I also have a pretty good idea of what's going on inside the engine. The bearings aren't coming apart, the oil is doing its job, and so on.

At the beginning, I was curious to see the state of the oil at 5,000 mile change intervals, but after two sets of results, any concern over that was put to rest.
where did you learn to read the oil specs from a book or school . I think this is a good idea and could save a lot of money in the long run just buy learning how to read the report and having this test run once and a while . Not sure what the intervals should be sense I've never done it before but you do

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 11-10-2011, 01:47 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
my oil is on the floor so I don't think the readings would be so good
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 11-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
where did you learn to read the oil specs from a book or school . I think this is a good idea and could save a lot of money in the long run just buy learning how to read the report and having this test run once and a while . Not sure what the intervals should be sense I've never done it before but you do
I've researched it a bit, and I've talked to the people at Blackstone.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Who is Blackstone and do they have a web site so I can do some reading

Russ

doofs at the beach

Old 11-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Who is Blackstone and do they have a web site so I can do some reading
They're the lab that does the analysis.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Old married man

vindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographic
My 09 Ultra. This oil was tortured by running at extreme heat for extended periods of time riding 2-up. 270*+ sometimes exceding 300*.
I didn't know about a TBN before but the one for the Ultra is very good!!

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 FLHTCU
Old 11-10-2011, 06:12 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
How come russ doesn't have tbn?
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 11-10-2011, 06:41 PM
The other white meat

Infidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowInfidel! has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
TBN is the amount of additives left in the oil. TBN costs an additional $10 and is really only useful if you want to extend your oil change intervals. If you're going to change every 5K anyway, it serves no purpose.

I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

[
Old 11-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Old married man

vindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographicvindex1963 is not in AOL's target demographic
Here's one from my 2004 FXSTI Softail Standard.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 FLHTCU
Old 11-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Old married man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
TBN is the amount of additives left in the oil. TBN costs an additional $10 and is really only useful if you want to extend your oil change intervals. If you're going to change every 5K anyway, it serves no purpose.
With all the debate on running car 15/50 oil in an air cooled bike I wanted to know.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 FLHTCU
Old 11-10-2011, 06:59 PM
The other white meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
With all the debate on running car 15/50 oil in an air cooled bike I wanted to know.
Is that what you were running? Now that's really interesting

[
Old 11-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Old married man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel! View Post
Is that what you were running? Now that's really interesting
Yipper.

2004 Victory Vegas
2009 FLHTCU