Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

View Poll Results: What is the top reason you do your own maintenance?
I am cheap. 11 18.97%
I want it done right. 21 36.21%
I enjoy it 6 10.34%
I don't. 2 3.45%
No mechanic close enough. 0 0%
I am too ingrained working on my own broken down vehicles by now, and dont know how to quit. 5 8.62%
I am cheap, I want it done right, and I enjoy it... plus LittleBear is only a phone call away... 13 22.41%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2008, 05:19 PM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I think you put more effort when its your own. When I change tires, I clean the rims. Dealers are not gonna do that.
Oh hell yeah. Good point. When you take things apart to repair or replace, its a great opportunity to clean spots that are hard to get to.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Autococker07

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMan View Post
I would drive the 60 miles and give them ALL of my business....
I do... the only thing I will buy at the local stealer are low priced consumables (under $10) Everything else I roll out to P cola.. its a nice ride.

When I decided to buy my night train (Feb 06) I already had orders to the sandbox. I went into Heritage and explained that..... I also explained that I woudl prefer to give them the business.... thats just the right way to do it, IMHO. I never shared that I was willing to pay up to $1000 over AAFES cost, or that I even knew what AAFES cost was. I just explained that I wanted the best deal, and reiterated (second time, mind you) that I was deploying for long enough to take advantage of the AAFES program.

I was Quoted $19,800 PLUS TTL (06 Train), etc etc for a freaking night train..... (he didn't even look guilty). Obviously I walked...

I order the bike from AAFES (06 Train) while deployed. Price was $14,900 out the door. About 5 months into the trip, (about a week after 07s were unveiled) AAFES called with a problem. Somehow my 06 Train was mis allocated, and they needed me to pick another bike or they could offer me a 07 Train at 06 price.... I thought about a Heritage Springer, but could not swallow the $2500 up charge, and I like the black out engine. I signed on for the 07.

I return in September 06, wait for word on the bike, and am finally called in October to go pick it up. I walk up to the shop, and am signing the paperwork with the owners husband (who acts like HE owns the place), as he gives em the keys, he rudely asks me why I didn't buy from them.... I explain to him that their offer was over $5k more than AAFES, and he haughtily replies "well thats a standard AAFES price, we could have matched that", and walks off. I got no owners manual or anything else with the bike, just "sign here, here are your two keys & fobs", not even a goodbye.

The kicker? He was my original salesman, and to this day, still will not look me in the eye.

I will never consider a $10 or more purchase from this dealer until he is gone, and I am sure that the attitudes have been taken with. The folks at the Pcola dealership just laugh and shake their heads... apparently, our local dealer is pretty good for their business.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Excommunicated

Bofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBofinn has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
rip my patches off my vest. I'm not worthy to vote alone...
Old 10-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autococker07 View Post
I walk up to the shop, and am signing the paperwork with the owners husband (who acts like HE owns the place), as he gives em the keys, he rudely asks me why I didn't buy from them.... I explain to him that their offer was over $5k more than AAFES, and he haughtily replies "well thats a standard AAFES price, we could have matched that", and walks off. I got no owners manual or anything else with the bike, just "sign here, here are your two keys & fobs", not even a goodbye.

The kicker? He was my original salesman, and to this day, still will not look me in the eye.

I will never consider a $10 or more purchase from this dealer until he is gone, and I am sure that the attitudes have been taken with. The folks at the Pcola dealership just laugh and shake their heads... apparently, our local dealer is pretty good for their business.
The current owner is the sister of the original owner, who was the guy who treated me like crap in 1992. He died a few years back and left it to her--nothing will change there any time soon. They make a killing off of Airmen with big deployment stashes who don't know any better. Hogeye used to have some interesting things to say about them on the stealer/dealer page. I'd have called AAFES and complained about the ****ty delivery.

I made sure PCola HD knew exactly why I was shopping there too.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 10-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
I just saw the last vote option. I need to know who these three are so I can block their numbers.
Unless it is phreak, Billy, DNM, Apache, Ocho, Gray, Ms. T, Al or ........ Oh he11 never mind.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I am jsut waiting for the right situation to call.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:40 AM
What you lookin' at!?!?!?

Jeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withJeffytune is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Let me see........

ASE Master tech, Check
68K in tools, Check
Factory manual in hand, Check
And I can work on at...work, Check.

We techs are just too darned expensive for us common workin' folks to afford.

Offically Old enough to ride a Geezer-Glide.
(Geezer-glide is a registered trademark of Harley Davidson Tour bikes, Any reference to a member of the DooF Clena of other forum screen name is strictly accidental. The reference is that I ride a Harley Davdison Tour bike, not some old dude that there is not enough alcohol in the world to get me to ride.)

Doctor JT 43

Eastern side
Profesional Rockat Surgen

Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Recently made the decision to start doing a lot of it myself to save money. The decision was made easier by something that showed up in my mail box.

Thanks for the manual meanbean

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 12-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Doof Clenas Member

HarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withHarleyWood is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I enjoy working on the bike and I'm cheap, I just can't bring myself to pay premium prices for work that I am capable of doing.
and impatient, the dealer here is always back logged, it could take days to do simple maintenance stuff
Old 12-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Use to bend a wrench on cars... love to tinker... but the most important thing I think is to know the bike...why it does what it does... how it works knowing that when its done and rolls out it will be right...

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 12-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Excommunicated

Berserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girlBerserker is a rotten little girl
I send my autos in alot. But there not as expensive to maintain. But I do have manuals for them.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
On routine maintenance up to a complete engine teardown, I know I can do it and I'll care more so it will be better than the Dealer.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Hand Wringer

FinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I don't do my own maintenance cause I don't know how.
I don't have a manual because I don't want to know how.
Same reason I don't cut my own hair. I worked hard all these years so I can hire someone to do it. Just lazy in my old age I guess.
Without guys like me, just imagine how many mechanics would be out of work.
C'mon, pile on. I dare you.

*Sensitive at all times.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
I'm thinking, I want to do your routine maintenance.

:scratchingchin:

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Hand Wringer

FinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Those guys in Roanoke only charge 90 bucks and do an oil change, a complete fluid check and top-off. Free donuts and all the diet Coke I can drink.
Big screen TV and a free lap dance.

*Sensitive at all times.