Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Accessories
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Accessories Horns, Pegs, Guards, MP3, Sat. Radio, GPS, etc.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Hand Wringer

FinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFinalBags has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
My nickname used to be Better-Packer. I just carry lots of quarters. I get my jeans starched and ironed so I can wear them more than once. Plus, I really don't mind wearing filthy clothes.

*Sensitive at all times.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkodiak View Post
Dan;

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner. My wife and I saw that rack at a dealer in NC last weekend. I wasn't fond of the external wiring connection that will require another hole for the power. I thought they should have ran the wires internally, but I guess because they are two pieces that it wasn't possible.
Ya had me concerned for a second. But according to the HD website the wiring is internal. Boy would I be PO'ed if my dealer botched the job by drilling an extra hole for wires. But thanks for the heads up. I'll certainly bring it up tomorrow to be sure it'll be done right. Otherwise they can keep the light part.
Quote:
Air Wing Rack LED Light Kit

Custom fit to the Air Wing Tour-Pak® Rack, this fast acting LED Light Kit operates as a supplemental rear running light and brake light. The high, center-mount position places the rear light in the line-of-sight of following vehicles, and the bright, fast-acting LED lamps get you noticed. Wiring is concealed inside the rack tubes for a clean, custom installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalBags View Post
How much crap does a man need to carry? Don't get me wrong, I've got a rack on mine.But I can carry much more than I need for a 2 week trip and still not use all the room on my bike.
My rack is for a rubber chicken.
Just Sayin.
Is your wife going? Mine is.

How much weight can I really put on the rack without breaking stuff? I'm not worried about the rack. I mean like overloading the tour pac top and associated bits and pieces.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 05-15-2008, 07:06 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan View Post
Ya had me concerned for a second. But according to the HD website the wiring is internal. Boy would I be PO'ed if my dealer botched the job by drilling an extra hole for wires. But thanks for the heads up. I'll certainly bring it up tomorrow to be sure it'll be done right. Otherwise they can keep the light part.
Sounds like a winner, Dan.

I'll have to check this out when I get at ES. I will have my TourPak on as well...

Old 05-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Dirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDirty Dan has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I might be able to sneak in a pic before then, too.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 05-15-2008, 09:47 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
How much weight can I really put on the rack without breaking stuff? I'm not worried about the rack. I mean like overloading the tour pac top and associated bits and pieces.
I put the leather rollbag full of clothes on the rack and that's about it,... 15lbs maybe? Personally, I don't think I'd ever put anymore than that. Its well known that the hinges on the TourPak lid are flimsy. That said, I try not to open the lid with the rollbag attached,... especially with the bike running.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Is it the hinges themselves or the way the hinges are attached to the tour pac that gives problems?

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 05-15-2008, 09:56 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
It's the hinge's attachment to the tour-pak.
I have a Dekker Supreme I use on trips and I just open the tour-pak (if I have to) enough to get what I need, bike off, and I don't let the weight rest on the cable since I don't open it all the way.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Got it, thanks.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 05-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Ok. So here's how I understand the hinge situation. Problems arise when opening the top with a load on. The hinge mounting will support more weight so long as the top remains closed or I remove the bag before opening the top.

Is that accurate or am I still missing something?

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 05-15-2008, 11:49 AM
El Errante

Quote:
Ok. So here's how I understand the hinge situation. Problems arise when opening the top with a load on. The hinge mounting will support more weight so long as the top remains closed or I remove the bag before opening the top.

Pretty much accurate, Dan.

When the lid is closed, the weight of the lid plus anything else on top is supported by the entire rim of the TourPak that it is resting on. When its open, all that weight is supported ONLY by the hinges.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Pu Dekcuf Lla

PeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withPeaceKeeper is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:

Dont open the top of the tourpac with the rack loaded. It will bust off, ask me how I found this out... A few pounds is okay, but nothing with any weight to it.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
Pretty much accurate, Dan.

When the lid is closed, the weight of the lid plus anything else on top is supported by the entire rim of the TourPak that it is resting on. When its open, all that weight is supported ONLY by the hinges.
See, and here is what I was thinking about. There is weather stripping that could compress with a load on it so I don't think the top is completely supported by the rim. I was thinking maybe it could compress and take out the hinges, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper View Post
Dont open the top of the tourpac with the rack loaded. It will bust off, ask me how I found this out... A few pounds is okay, but nothing with any weight to it.
I'm certainly not above learning a lesson the easy way. Thanks for sharing.

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 05-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Original Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Kuba Kuba
Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Dan;

Maybe the dealer where I saw the display had the wiring wrong. It was NOT internal. Couldn't get a good look to see if internal was possible. They had it bolted down to a flat display rack.

Kimber

Old 05-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Double-D
Self Proclaimed Pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkodiak View Post
Dan;

Maybe the dealer where I saw the display had the wiring wrong. It was NOT internal. Couldn't get a good look to see if internal was possible. They had it bolted down to a flat display rack.
Yea, man. I believed you. Worried me, too. I talked to the service writer about it before I left to be clear on that little detail.

I have mine at home now and the wiring is internal. I like the rack, too. It looks good. (I really did not want to put one on.)

I'll post pics in the review section....later. My wife took the digital camera with her to work today. Ya know, the one time I want the damn thing....

'08 Ultra
S&S SPO's
Old 05-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Double-D
Switzerland

Dinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowDinero has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Yea, man. I believed you. Worried me, too. I talked to the service writer about it before I left to be clear on that little detail.

I have mine at home now and the wiring is internal. I like the rack, too. It looks good. (I really did not want to put one on.)

I'll post pics in the review section....later. My wife took the digital camera with her to work today. Ya know, the one time I want the damn thing....
Don't be too hard on her, Dan. She'll make it up to you, I'm sure.

April 13, 2016 -- The day Richard was speechless.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young!
--Bob Dylan