Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Specific Interest > Computer Talk
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Computer Talk Have a computer question, problem or internet issue? The computer talk is here.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:16 AM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
I have a dangerous toolbox that I use to fix this type of thing up. Not for the faint of heart. I wish I was closer to you so I could fix you up.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Pirate Hunter

AGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Russ, I checked with the guys in the NOC. Their response guide has the same manual clean up procedures that I had posted. They did mention that all the procedures have to take place in the same log in. Every time you log in it replicates itself under a different name. You got a nasty one.

why_me's suggestion about using a simple user account instead of an admin is about the only way to minimize this kind of malware. He knows stuff.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Lynn, the manual procedure worked with the stuff that was there, but none of those .dll entries existed, and a lot of the other stuff wasn't there either (like there was no process to stop). I've spent 2 nights screwing with this damn thing rather than screwing my wife, and I'm sick of it. I'm gonna try to get all the TTS stuff off of it tonight, then reformat the drive and start from scratch.

It really irks me that McAfee didn't stop it and can't get rid of it.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 04-15-2010, 07:37 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Lynn, the manual procedure worked with the stuff that was there, but none of those .dll entries existed, and a lot of the other stuff wasn't there either (like there was no process to stop). I've spent 2 nights screwing with this damn thing rather than screwing my wife, and I'm sick of it. I'm gonna try to get all the TTS stuff off of it tonight, then reformat the drive and start from scratch.

It really irks me that McAfee didn't stop it and can't get rid of it.
That's usually the best way, Russ.

Personally, I have my computers set up to make a backup image of the entire system weekly using MS ImageX. If I ever have an issue (such as the one you're dealing with, or a disk failure) I don't think I can resolve in a couple of hours, I wipe the disk (mil spec) and restore the latest image to disk and be back up and running in a couple or three hours. No need in reinstalling any software.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
OK, explain "image". Does that just duplicate the entire hard drive on an exterior storage device? If so, that sounds like a really good idea. What are you using to wipe the disk?

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 04-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Parks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sock
A squeegee...

Time to Nut up, or Shut up. -Tallahassee
Old 04-15-2010, 09:07 AM
El Errante

thrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milkthrasher stays crunchy even in milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
OK, explain "image". Does that just duplicate the entire hard drive on an exterior storage device? If so, that sounds like a really good idea. What are you using to wipe the disk?
Yes, a disk image is basically a replica of your disk. The time it takes to create the image is related to how large and how much data is on your disk and how fragmented it is. The bottleneck in writing the image is the USB connection to external drive its writing to. MS ImageX writes WIM file format, and there is a lot that you can use it for. Read more about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Imaging_Format

I don't know if MS ImageX is available at a retail level. I am a software engineer. There are other imaging software packages, though, that work well... like ghost image.

I don't recall which low level wiping software I'm using, but I'll check when I get home tonight.... There are a few of them out there. A wipe might be overkill for what you want,... a simple format (or better yet low level format) would work too.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:17 AM
El Errante

Silly me.

It appears that you already have MS ImageX, as it is installed as part of the windows os. However, it will need to be run from a bootable CD/DVD which has access to external drives since the os can't be running (because of file locking) when you make the image.

I'd check into an image create/restore software (in the form of a bootable CD/DVD) that utilizes ImageX or Ghost Image for the low level work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagex.JPG (41.5 KB, 29 views)

Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Pirate Hunter

AGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withAGlocker is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
I am a software engineer.