Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > Random Crap
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Random Crap I'm just sayin'.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
HEY RICKY SENA CHARGER PICS

look at this

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 06-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Bigger pics

Old 06-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Thanks, Mikey! That looks to be the same unit I'm using, but mine doesn't have the warning label.
Other than on the warning tag, does the cord actually say SENA anywhere?

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 06-02-2014, 03:16 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Any micro USB charger will work for the Sena units.

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 06-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
12V then?

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 06-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasilva View Post
Any micro USB charger will work for the Sena units.

Ummm about that...

Yes, sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
12V then?

Yes, sort of..

More to follow

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 06-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I have used a half dozen different USB micro chargers with my SENA headset and have experienced no issues thus far.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Buffalo Hump

yes.... it APPEARS that ANY micro usb will work .... HOW FAST is another question ......

and for the SM10 that SEEMS to be an issue, I'll leave it to Ricky to splain it to everyone

Old 06-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Buffalo Hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
Thanks, Mikey! That looks to be the same unit I'm using, but mine doesn't have the warning label.
Other than on the warning tag, does the cord actually say SENA anywhere?

no, no it doesn't .... other than that tag, it's the only identifier

Old 06-02-2014, 07:17 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
I have used a half dozen different USB micro chargers with my SENA headset and have experienced no issues thus far.

Exactly,

Currently using a powerlet micro USB on my bike, charges damn quick.

Used a USB cable to my computer, slower but no issues

Cell pod charger, no issues

Separated at birth? You decide
Old 06-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Yes, all of those things are true. Any standard micro USB cable and power supply device can power all of Sena's devices. By default all of the USB charging devices supply a nominal 5volts DC.
What is different is the new Power Delivery USB standard for USB 2, and USB 3.
The new standard allows up to 20v @ 5A (100 watts!) to be provided by certain USB connections. Imagine charging your laptop with a micro USB(!) The way they make this work without letting the magic smoke out of all of your devices is by using power negotiation between the charger and the device. Anything you plug in gets 5Volts to start and then the charger and device "talk" to one another to negotiate the required/available current and voltage. If the connection is "dumb". It continues to supply 5v. If the charger and device communicate (and if the cable is suitable~it checks that , too~) then it charges as negotiated.
See? Simple!
So, the Sena SM10 uses the 12v 1A spec when using a compatible charger. When using a generic charger, a USB CORD or adapter, it charges at 5V..
I believe that in most cases we will never know the difference... But there are some high-current-draw devices with which it WILL make a difference.
This is why, in the E.-S.-To-do thread where I posted my handlebar swap info and pictures... You may notice that I permanently hardwired a Sena cord like Mikey's inside the fairing.
I also hard-wired in a generic USB "Griffin" 2-place 12V power adapter to use as a generic 5V USB supply for the Garmin and the iPhone.

I wanted to be sure that the Sena device (SM10) had not just generic power, but the RIGHT power available.

The SM10 does have an issue with charging from a generic supply and I'm hoping to eliminate that issue with this set up.
Note that I'm NOT speaking of the SMH10 headset.

A sidebar: if you've discovered a micro USB cable that wouldn't quite fit....but you trimmed the plastic around the end to make it fit....that has to do with this power standard.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod

Last edited by MrSurly; 06-03-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Smuckin' Fartass

Last Cigar Smoked: Olivia Nub Maduro
Woody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sockWoody218 doesn't need a tube sock
When in doubt, just short every wire to ground...

Old 06-03-2014, 05:43 AM
Buffalo Hump

Ricky - Thanks for that lesson and the link, it is a very interesting read.

The one thing I still don't know, is does the SENA 12v adapter/charger really output 12v like is stated on the warning tag? and if so, what damage might be done to a device plugged into that which is only expecting to see 5V .... I would expect to see the magic smoke escape from my device

Old 06-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Mikey, I haven't fully tested it as I need to create a breakout box for micro USB in order to be able to measure the actual voltage. The reading I've done indicates that the charger does NOT supply 12V until AFTER it 'talks' to the device and receives instruction. I do intend to test this when I can.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 06-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Buffalo Hump

Awesome, that makes sense, as that's the new SMART USB specs, I like it !