Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 12-09-2012, 12:58 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Internet consensus
OH LORD
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 12-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by dippsy View Post
OH LORD
Easy there Stimpy, if the 11/16" M/C doesn't work, I'll rebuild my 9/16" one and use it.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 12-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
It's fairly simple mathematics to figure how the MC bore will affect things.

PiR^2 * piston travel = fluid displaced.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 12-09-2012, 01:19 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
Easy there Stimpy, if the 11/16" M/C doesn't work, I'll rebuild my 9/16" one and use it.
its ok, you read it on the internet
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
OK, on to the brake line. The banjo fitting is at the top of the caliper rather than the bottom, so I figure a 2" shorter line will work. The 11/16" bore master cylinder uses a smaller banjo bolt than the 9/16" master cylinder (3/8" versus 7/16"). The lower fitting is......problematic. The Brembo's banjo bolt won't go through the old banjo fitting, which I would have thought was the same throughout the Harley brand. I'm hoping that it's 10mm (which is just a hair bigger than 3/8". If that's the case, the new lines available from Magnum Shielding will work fine, as they're labeled as 3/8"/10mm. If not.....I'll cross that bridge if I have to.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Good news, the lower fitting is 10mm. New brake line ordered, so now I'm just waiting on parts. Gotta decide if I'm going to rip into the primary this week, or wait until I can test ride the brakes.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Dirty Dirk, Canadian Doof

DAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milkDAK47 stays crunchy even in milk
Nicely done, one day I'll see about doing something for the Shovels front brakes... I like verifying on change at a time on the scooter, but that's just me..... Looking forward to both reviews, as you'll beat me to the punch on the gearing change by about 5mo.... Congrats

Dirk
Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
I know when I changed to 3:37 on the fatboy, it gave it a little extra kick off idle and you get on the cam quicker. All that equals mo fun.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Well as usual, yet another project ends in disaster.

Got the custom brake line in this week. Thanks to the mother of all colds, I haven't felt anywhere well enough to venture into the garage until today. Everything was together; all I had to do was route and attach the brake line, fill it with fluid, and bleed the system.

I guessed right on brake line length (2" shorter to compensate for the different banjo location on the Brembo), so everything went quickly. Bled the system out, and had, hands-down, the best lever feel the bike has ever had. I rolled the bike off the lift table and gave everything the once-over before I went in to change for the test ride.

There was a little drip of brake fluid underneath the master cylinder. Must've dribbled a bit when I was filling it up. I wiped it off, checked the cover and the banjo fitting to make sure they were dry (they were), and pulled the lever a few more times. Another drip. Shit. Sprayed everything with brake cleaner, wiped everything down, pulled the lever. Another drip. Shit.

I pulled the controls off the bar, turned it over, and saw.....the back of the master cylinder is cracked. Did I crack it, or did it come cracked? I dunno, but I can't see how I could have done it. The bars (Street Slammers) have a flat spot for the M/C, and there's no exterior difference between the stock 9/16" M/C and the new 11/16" M/C. There's a small dent on the back of the old one, so I'm thinking I might grind down the bars a bit to eliminate that variable with the replacement M/C. I've sent a photo of it to Surdyke, it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, they do.

FML.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1826.jpg (69.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1827.jpg (79.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1828.jpg (64.7 KB, 49 views)

Old 12-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Original Delinquent

Backroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milkBackroad Mike stays crunchy even in milk
Well, that sucks.

Glad your feeling better though.

Kimber

Old 12-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Sorry bro.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
A little taste of the crap i deal with every week. Sorry.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
Sorry Russ. At least you caught it in the garage and not trying to brake for a turn.

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
Old 12-23-2012, 07:42 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Damn! Now I gotta check out the Fatboy before I get it rolling out of the garage.

Glad you're feeling better

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Finally got the replacement master cylinder installed and test rode the bike.

Big f-n difference! After bedding the pads a bit, I grabbed a handful of front brake and locked up the front tire. It wouldn't do that before, no matter what. It's very easy to modulate, the feel through the lever is 100 times better, and the bike actually stops hard now.

The only bastard of it is that the FXDX master cylinder wasn't designed for the Street Slammer bars. The backside isn't relieved enough to make it over the hump in the bar, so it sets the m/c up a bit. It's actually quite comfortable, but it means that I can't fill the thing all the way up. Not a big deal I suppose, but at some point it might pay to grind the bar a bit.