Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Old Iron
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old Iron Shovels, pans, knucks, flatheads and such

Old 09-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
After the truck

jumped out in front of me....

The insurance estimator finally stopped by to look at the damage. It really wasn't much--brake lever, footpeg bolt, a ding on the tank and a little tweak on the front fender.

Once he was done, and since I was already collecting parts for a front end swap, it seemed as good a time as any to dive in. Started out lookin' like this.

A few hours later, it looked like this.

Found a few intersting things as it was coming apart. The tanks are gonna' need some interal TLC. Whatever coating was in there is mostly gone and there is some rust. I think I'm gonna' try the electrolytic method--my son has done old car parts in the past w/ good results. And besides, I don't think the wife is gonna' let me put them in her dryer.....

Here's a shot of the weld on my upper motor mount. It seems solid, but I'll pull it off and make sure later.

The rear axle/swingarm area has seen better days. At least the swingarm bearings were solid. There are noticeable ridges in the axle where the bearings run--like they spun at some point. THe left side of the swingarm is pretty worn too. Not sure yet what to think of this, but I think it needs fixin' of some sort.

That's about as far as I got yesterday. Tune in again for the continuing saga.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 09-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Can't wait to see her finished. Keep the picys coming.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Executive Vice President
D.F.F.D

Last Cigar Smoked: Romeo y Julieta Churchill
BillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBillyB has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know

Old 09-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Under Construction

TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I bought a 9/16 - 24 x 1 1/4 bolt today.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 09-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Re - Calculating

Last Cigar Smoked: Nub Double Maduro
Boston Keith is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBoston Keith is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBoston Keith is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBoston Keith is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBoston Keith is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBoston Keith is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBoston Keith is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBoston Keith is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBoston Keith is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBoston Keith is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withBoston Keith is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with

Old 09-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Under Construction

OK, since you're all in suspense, I'll get ahead of myself a little bit....

Next on the list of things to do is the tanks. There is some rust in them that I want to take care of before they go for paint. I'm mullin' over which direction to go. I have used Kreem, and observed it fail epically for multiple people, so that's out. POR-15 seems to get much better reviews. I plan to use electrolysis to clean the tanks. It's a bit messier, but results in a thoroughly clean tank; as opposed to the throw in a handful of nuts, wrap it in a blanket and blow up the dryer method.

Next is adapting the 06 Sportster front end. Aside from the fork stop, it's practically a bolt on. I have a bargain set of Pro-1 hidden fork stops in the mail, but their fit is debatable at the moment. There is a raised boss on the bottom tree that may interfere with attaching the lower stop plate.

If it turns out to be a bust, I will go with a set of these, which more or less duplicate the stock configuration.

The 04-06 dual calipers are sort of unique. The stock master cylinder is a 14MM unit, which is a rat's ass (.113") less than 9/16. I have a 9/16 on the way from a helpful guy on another forum. I'll be running an 06 front wheel as well. These brakes should ensure I'll be able to avoid further interaction with backing trucks.

I really dislike the drag bars on 9" risers--they make me hunch way over and it's not comfortable for very long. So, I ordered a set of 18" Nash Grit Hangers. Gonna mount 'em on 2" risers and see how they fit before I order any cables. I mocked it up w/ coat hangers and 20" total was about perfect. I'm also updating to 96+ controls while I'm at it--thanks Ed.

Still have to fix the kicker pedal and the foot peg bolt, but that's pretty minor stuff. Probably going to switch to later FXR style "plug" axle adjusters and add some thin washers to temp fix that wear on the swing arm. If anyone has a swing arm laying around.....
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Jealous here. Keep us posted Tim!

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 PM
BSL/SBSH

Last Cigar Smoked: "It's a Girl"
Luke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suck
I'm working on putting headlights on my mower. A little less exciting.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Under Construction

I put a new headlight on a few weeks ago. Apparently, it did not render me visible.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 09-19-2010, 10:15 PM
BSL/SBSH

Last Cigar Smoked: "It's a Girl"
Luke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suckLuke611 can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
I put a new headlight on a few weeks ago. Apparently, it did not render me visible.
It would seem so.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:38 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Like those bars

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Parks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sockParks doesn't need a tube sock
I am interested in seeing how the bars turn out. 20 inches is pretty high.

Time to Nut up, or Shut up. -Tallahassee
Old 10-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
I am interested in seeing how the bars turn out. 20 inches is pretty high.
20" total. Actual 20" bars would be over the top, so to speak. When I mocked it up, my arms were more or less parallel to my torso.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50