Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Brakes, Rotors & Calipers
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:04 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Pre 2008 caliper piston sticking fix...

OK, we all know about Lyndall's tip on cleaning the pistons when you install new pads or when you have squeaking/squealing issues:
http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/service_tech.htm
My problem was that I had just the pair of pistons on one side of a caliper sticking after cleaning. Repeatedly.
So, I took my smallest pry bar, and prying between the back of the pad on the sticking side and the caliper, got the working pistons on the other side retracted all the way. Then, I took a 6mm Allen wrench and inserted it behind the pad, between the two sticky pistons. Then I pumped the front brake lever until the pistons moved all the way (6mm) out, hosed them down w/ the non-eco friendly chlorinated Brakleen I so love, pried them back, pumped them out and cleaned them again, and it was a done deal.
This was on the front brakes of a 2005 FLHTCUI. Oh, and if the caliper doesn't want to clear the fender, H-D doesn't mention that you have to rock the caliper in and out against the rotor (after you clear the fender mounts) to retract the pads enough for the caliper to clear.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:40 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
or smack it with a hammer....
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 12-01-2009, 07:42 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
We have a nice trainee from North Dakota with "Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel" stuck in his head.
He walked down the tower stairs whistling it.
Blahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:46 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
did he make it out of clay?

is it dry and ready?

who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 12-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
Don't mess with the trainees. They're having enough trouble remembering what number is on that end of the runway.

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTOE View Post
Don't mess with the trainees. They're having enough trouble remembering what number is on that end of the runway.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 12-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Doof Babe
Grenade Launcher
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: Does second-hand count?
Boop looks handsome even in Groucho glassesBoop looks handsome even in Groucho glassesBoop looks handsome even in Groucho glassesBoop looks handsome even in Groucho glassesBoop looks handsome even in Groucho glassesBoop looks handsome even in Groucho glassesBoop looks handsome even in Groucho glassesBoop looks handsome even in Groucho glassesBoop looks handsome even in Groucho glassesBoop looks handsome even in Groucho glassesBoop looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
You have no idea how confusing that is.

W.W.B.D?

Boop-Oop-A-Doof
Old 12-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
OK, we all know about Lyndall's tip on cleaning the pistons when you install new pads or when you have squeaking/squealing issues:
http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/service_tech.htm
My problem was that I had just the pair of pistons on one side of a caliper sticking after cleaning. Repeatedly.
So, I took my smallest pry bar, and prying between the back of the pad on the sticking side and the caliper, got the working pistons on the other side retracted all the way. Then, I took a 6mm Allen wrench and inserted it behind the pad, between the two sticky pistons. Then I pumped the front brake lever until the pistons moved all the way (6mm) out, hosed them down w/ the non-eco friendly chlorinated Brakleen I so love, pried them back, pumped them out and cleaned them again, and it was a done deal.
This was on the front brakes of a 2005 FLHTCUI. Oh, and if the caliper doesn't want to clear the fender, H-D doesn't mention that you have to rock the caliper in and out against the rotor (after you clear the fender mounts) to retract the pads enough for the caliper to clear.

I don't know... pretty "techie" sounding what with terms like "6mm" and "chlorinated" and "retract".

My eyes glazed over.

Greg
Old 05-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Pictures please..
Old 05-02-2014, 02:27 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

This thread is from 4 1/2 years ago, troublemaker.
Just read slow and visualize whirled peas.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:51 PM

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
I was highlighting my laziness today and your lackadaisical attitude 4 1/2 years ago.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:04 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Yeah, because I do love to take pics when I'm pissed, improvising and covered in chlorinated solvent.
You're lucky I even remembered enough of what I did to post...

Old 05-02-2014, 03:16 PM

I doubt my brembo's will stick anyway.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I blame the evil DOT 5 crap.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 05-02-2014, 03:24 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Mine are DOT 4.
Some mechanic.