Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > BMW
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

BMW Bikes that are engineered to be ridden... just sayin'...

Old 08-14-2014, 07:26 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Picked her up last night. All broken in with fresh fluids, and no more limitation on rpm. Took her out of "Rain" mode and hit the back roads.

Oh my.

Things start happening very quickly above 6,000rpm. Nevermind the fact that with the electronic limiters off it gets to 6,000 much quicker. The 6 screams like a banshee when it gets towards the top of the rev band. The brakes and suspension remain unflappable, which is a good thing, as this sucker will hit triple-digit speeds in nothing flat (magazine testers are getting mid-9 second 1/4 mile times).

And all this while sitting reasonably upright.

Looking forward to putting it through its paces in the WV mountains this weekend.

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 08-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Stockman View Post
Dropped the TT off at the dealer today for the 600 mile service. Still too early for a full report, but I'm feeling verbose....

- Adjustable levers. Sounds like a silly little thing, but a tiny adjustment in where the clutch and brake levers are makes a world of difference. I can now two-finger the brake while still working the throttle, and I've shortened the clutch pull enough that it got rid of the jerkiness I was feeling.

- Power windshield. Love it. Every bike should have one.

- Mirrors. They're mounted way up on the fairing, but with them up there I can finally see all the way behind me without moving my head. Again, a little thing that makes a big difference.

- The Magical Wonder Wheel. I can access any information or suspension adjustments without taking my hands off the grips. Super intuitive system too.

- All three bags come off in less than 2 minutes. And the bike looks good without them.

- The suspension. I don't think about it, it just rides and tracks beautifully. Road gets rough, switch it to "Comfort". Wanna ride like a hooligan, switch it to "Sport". Bike hasn't bottomed out once, and nothing has jarred me out of the seat.

- The power. It's everywhere, even in the low-power "Rain" mode. Shifting isn't necessary. I can literally leave it in 3rd gear from a dead-stop up to about 70mph.

Not So Much

- No locking kickstand. Just dumb not to have one.

- No self-canceling turn signals. These things aren't rocket science.

- Key has to stay in the ignition. I'm spoiled, I guess.

- Luggage space. Not as much as the Ultra. Not a whole lot less, but still.

- Side-opening saddlebags. Sure, they look all swoopy, but they dump your stuff out when you open them.

- The top box rocks back and forth on the mount. Not a lot, but it does move. Makes me wary of mounting a luggage rack on top.

- The transmission is clunkier than I'd expected.

Other than that, this thing is a dream. I added an engine guard with highway pegs, got a new windshield with a recurve coming, and I scored a taller 2-piece seat on Ebay. Looking forward to getting it back and being able to let this thing run at full power.

More to come.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.

Yeah, no locking kickstand, back in the day I return from a rest area rest room to find the wind gusted enough to allow the kickstand to retract and the R75 was laying on it's side.

Does Harley own the rights to left button right button, lean / time / distance cancelling turn signals? This is something that really should be on all 500 CC and up motorcycles in this day and age of electronics.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 08-14-2014, 08:00 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I think - but am not positive - that Harley owns the patent on the locking stand.

I recall riding some other bike.....Might have been a mid-'80s Magna.....that had lean-actuated self-canceling signals.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
(magazine testers are getting mid-9 second 1/4 mile times).
What?

That's Hayabusa and 1000RR territory.... with a 750pound bagger?
Until back up is posted,

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 08-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Breaker of Stuff

I stand corrected, upper 10s.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Confirmed Luddite

Last Cigar Smoked: Snack Pack Tapioca
Uesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowUesque has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
With a locking kick?

Old 08-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Uuuuuhhhhmmmm, yeah...about that...

Thats the lighter GT with less aero drag. So, no.

Russ, I love ya, you know this. (In a manly sort of way, of course)

But try again.

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 08-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSurly View Post
Uuuuuhhhhmmmm, yeah...about that...

Thats the lighter GT with less aero drag. So, no.

Russ, I love ya, you know this. (In a manly sort of way, of course)

But try again.

Same bike. Only difference in weight is the top box, which is detachable in 15 seconds.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Double-D

DaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milkDaSkip stays crunchy even in milk
I bet that bike is a beast Russ.

Ich bin Sven Hoek.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
So, back to das geratehaus von doom?
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 08-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Rode about 120 miles tonight. Really slick, really smooth. I put a GT seat on, which lifts me up about 1-1/2". So there's less of the "in the bike" feeling, but the position is golden.

It's just silly what this thing will do on a backroad.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:40 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Huh?

uploadfromtaptalk1408095611595.jpg
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 08-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Diesel Man - DFFD

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O War Ruination
GregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Really nice bike, Russ.
Congrats!!!

How people survive without motorcycles is completely beyond me.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams

Old 08-15-2014, 09:02 AM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post

Ricky

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 08-17-2014, 03:26 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Should have checked out the Triumph Explorer, faster than the Wasserboxer by a bit, lighter, better wind protection, cheaper, and handles fantastic on or off-road. Plus it uses no oil. 4k miles into the current oil change and it's right at the full mark. The handling is amazing, lately I've been running with the local Ducati club and I'm at the point where I expect if the Ducs stick to a corner I will.

Separated at birth? You decide