Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Carburetor
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Last Cigar Smoked: Probably a Swisher Sweet
Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Then you can cut the clamp and pull the hose off the pump. Remove your fittings and install the Pingel fittings. I left the pump, filter, 3 hoses and 2 fittings out of the tank and just put the float back in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0171.jpg (168.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0172.jpg (181.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0173.jpg (233.1 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0174.jpg (227.7 KB, 118 views)

Greg
Old 10-31-2009, 04:45 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Ancient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suckAncient Iron can happily embrace the suck
Here's the MM ignition module, harness, injection module, and upper mount. They all have to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0176.jpg (206.1 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0177.jpg (251.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0178.jpg (241.0 KB, 118 views)

Greg
Old 10-31-2009, 04:52 PM
Doof Clenas Member

And in their place, here's the new carb style ignition module, harness, manifold, and upper mount with choke cable slot. And a shot of all the MM stuff removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0179.jpg (236.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0180.jpg (251.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0181.jpg (233.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0182.jpg (259.5 KB, 118 views)

Greg
Old 11-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Ok, it's a done deal. Maybe 4 hrs. actual working time to do it. No problems, no surprises. Bike fired right up, warmed it up, set the air screw, set the idle, went for a ride. It is truly unbelievable how well it runs. Crazy better than the MM did. Doesn't feel like the same bike. Wish I had done it sooner!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0183.jpg (283.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0184.jpg (280.6 KB, 119 views)

Greg
Old 11-01-2009, 12:28 PM
grapenutless

Last Cigar Smoked: none of your danged business
y2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowy2kflhr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
very nice...
I was so glad in retrospect that I bought a carbed king in 2k instead of injected....
who's to blame in 2014?
OH THIS IS SO NOODLES FAULT
Chitty Chitty

Old 11-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Yesterday was the first time I'd had the bike out for a good run since the swap over. 2 up, semi loaded, running 75-85 mph mostly, it knocked down 39 mpg. Great throttle response, idle, and start-up. No exhaust popping on decel whatsoever. Here's a plug after the trip. Not bad, maybe a slight bit lean. I've got a 165 main in, may try a 170.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0220.jpg (33.4 KB, 111 views)

Greg
Old 11-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Yea, fatten it up. But do it with the needle, not a jet. Drop the clip in the needle one slot, so it raises the needle up one slot. Get what I mean?

Meng

TKWSV

Old 11-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Doof Clenas Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
Yea, fatten it up. But do it with the needle, not a jet. Drop the clip in the needle one slot, so it raises the needle up one slot. Get what I mean?
Yep, I do. I will try the needle first.

Greg
Old 08-22-2010, 05:16 PM
really small member

sallzy has failed to amuse us
so I know this thread is a little old but does anyone know what the difference is in the gas tanks year to year? I have read that in 1999 efi tanks there is something to do with the fuel line that has to be ground off in the tank. a spicket that sticks up in the tank that they did in 1999 in the efi tanks that they didn't do in later tanks. has anyone done a carb conversion on a 99 that can confirm this? thanks....
Old 12-17-2013, 09:43 AM
really small member

helipilot has failed to amuse us
I know this response is a little old, too, but I just joined this forum yesterday in order to be able to review the pics of this carb conversion.

I, too, have a 1999 where I am gonna have to modify the tank. To answer your question, "yes;" the 1999 tanks are somewhat difficult to get that 'bung' ground down or cut so as to accommodate the Pingel. The specific problem, as with so many things mechanical, is having room to work; in this case, inside the tank. Of course, a very vapor-free tank is required before grinding.

Another alternative I've seen described is that once the brass fittings are removed from the outside/underside of the tank, you can gradually drill out the bung from the outside, working your way up to a half-inch bit. I believe I'm gonna try that method. On another forum, there's pics of a '99 tank where a guy ground from the inside and put a hole in his tank that he had to repair.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I did this to my 1998. I used a hack saw blade by itself inside the tank. Took a little while to cut it off, but no sparks!

Meng

TKWSV

Old 12-17-2013, 11:17 AM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Last Cigar Smoked: Banana pudding after some baby back ribs
jasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowjasilva has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Dry ice in the tank and it'll purge the O2 so you could even weld on the tank.

Separated at birth? You decide