Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > ATVs, Dirt Bikes and Schtuff
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

ATVs, Dirt Bikes and Schtuff For those of you who like to do it in the dirt

Old 11-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
KLR650 New Edition

So I had a brilliant idea while heading up to Smart Dave's over the weekend.....Get myself a cheap beater bike to commute with and ride throughout the winter, that way I wasn't putting a ton of miles on either Vader or the Macht Schnell, and I didn't have to stress about washing road salt off of either of them. I figured the KLR would do exactly what I needed it to do, with the bonus of having some off-road chops for when I want to see what's down that trail.

Smart Dave loved the idea too, as did Dana.

So I started searching Craigslist. Found a few of them in various states, all around $3,200-$4,000. OK, that's doable. But then I looked at the local Kawi dealer.....Brand freaking new 2014.5 KLR New Edition (which has a better seat and firmer shocks, but oddly no Bobby Brown autograph) for $4,995.

Sold. I pick it up tomorrow. Ride report forthcoming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0792.jpg (50.4 KB, 88 views)

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 11-18-2014, 09:09 PM
Not just another pretty face

vafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milkvafatboy stays crunchy even in milk
Dude!
Old 11-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Hangaround

Last Cigar Smoked: RYO but it has been so long I forget
Squrll has failed to amuse us
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafatboy View Post
Dude!
took the words right out of my mouth

Plus the dialing it back a bit
Old 11-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Cleaning the road salt out of the nooks and crannies of an Ultra is a bastard. With all the magnesium parts on the Beemer (thanks Boss), the salt can't be good for that.

It ain't pretty, and it ain't fast. But it can be my beast of burden for a few years.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
We gots sharpies...

If you need a sig or two.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 11-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Double-D
The Mechanic

d j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowd j has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
That's $1500 off list. Do they have another one?

Old 11-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by d j View Post
That's $1500 off list. Do they have another one?
Got the last one and couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. I did see one in PA for $5,300 though.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:14 PM
Augmented

Last Cigar Smoked: Saf Fran OG
Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
Their was a match pair of KLR's for sale in our local CL for 4200.00 each. One had 417mi. and the other 474. Like new, but they went quick. These scoots have a couple of weak points, and most used ones will likely be better as they have already been upgraded. However theirs something to said for warranties. I see dealers are offering protection plus warranties for 24,36 and 48 months. There's a plethora of aftermarket parts for the KLR 650. Their is a liquidation dealer in Searcy, Ar. that buys lots from closing and hurting dealers. They have warehouses full of scoots. it might be worth dropping a dime on them. http://www.sunriseCushman.com/
Suziuki's offering with their DR650 looks like a quality option as well, 66lbs lighter with half the fuel capacity(so theirs 30lbs) and has cycleworlds top honors as best used in class. 2015's list for a just a bit less than the KLR. I would like to have either, and I like the zuk sports a mikuni but the KLR is by far more popular. A friend here bought a used one from Texas because it had almost all the options he wanted to add.
I see one or the other in my near future as well Russ. I suspect July when two vehicle payments go away.

aka

L.Ron Hoover Welcomes you to the
First Church of Appliantology
Old 11-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Breaker of Stuff

The DR650 is a badass bike. I looked at one of them and a DRZ 400 today. The KLR kills them with both fuel capacity and weather protection. I really, really like the DR650, and if I could have afforded a Wee Strom for commuting and a DR for my off-road itch, I would have gone that route.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:33 PM
Augmented

Turbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sockTurbo Turtle doesn't need a tube sock
I had considered a veestrom but I like the capabilities of the DR/KLR as they are more suited to my needs/wants. The KLR's fuel capacity will likely reel me in. Heck I got all the street bike I need, sans HP!
Looking at a mild build 117/124ci.

aka

Old 11-18-2014, 10:42 PM
Breaker of Stuff

My direct commute to work is 54 miles; all but 18 or so are on the superslab. Should be interesting with a 650 Thumper. The Wee seemed a little better suited for that, but KLR stuff is dirt cheap, 55mpg is hard to argue with, and I can go hog-wild in the mud with this thing.

I've already ordered a Madstad for it, so hopefully it'll be somewhat civilized on the road.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Augmented

Yups, Thumper will be stroking at slab speed ahead, but for the same reasons more suited for offroad fun. Heck, now you might find lower speed routes to work witch will provide more fun (distractions) and entertainment. I know I would be.
Have safe and be fun.

aka

Old 11-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Double-D

BigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milkBigTOE stays crunchy even in milk
And so it begins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2007
gaZinTa OF THE YEAR 2015
Old 11-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
Yups, Thumper will be stroking at slab speed ahead, but for the same reasons more suited for offroad fun. Heck, now you might find lower speed routes to work witch will provide more fun (distractions) and entertainment. I know I would be.
Have safe and be fun.

aka
Oh trust me, my route home when I'm on the bike is damn near 100 miles and there's no road posted higher than 45mph.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:13 PM
Augmented

Sweet, I like hearing that! Good on ya. Is it as cold up there as it is here. I rode to work at 23F this morning.