Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > Carburetor
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

ridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Mikuni tinkering

I't thinking about changing the low speed jet in the Mikuni on the EVO.
It seems to be too lean on cold days. Coughs, spits, and sputters when cold.
It is a little lean in the summer but warms up pretty quickly.
When the weather is below 55, the leaness is more noticeable.
When riding to work, it just starts to come around when I arrive as I have
a ride of less than 7 miles.

I guess I'll open it up and see what size jet is there as I have forgotten.
(and some doof forgot to write the jet sizes in the manual during assembly)
I think I could just change back next spring after the weather warms up.

Comments?

Introducing the Al Gore engine

Obsolete Doof
1998 Obsolete Springer Rider
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker

Old 11-06-2008, 11:46 AM
GrayRider

When I tuned the Mik on my Wide Glide, I called Mikuni USA and talked to a tech. He was very helpful. You can also download the manual from their website.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Ghost-Faced Doof

Deejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suckDeejay can happily embrace the suck
I had luck running a 22.5 low and a 160 MJ on my Mik 42.... but I bet it's different for each setup.
What do your plugs look like?

Old 11-06-2008, 12:49 PM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Have you tried the air screw?
That, and the accellerator pump were all that needed attention on my Mik 42 on my TC...

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
Follow the manual, set the Idle air screw and if it is not within the correct number of turns, change the jet per the manual.
If you are only riding that thing 7 miles at a pop, change your oil twice as often.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

ridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withridingjerry is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Plugs are quite clean.
Idle air is set.
It was 58 this am, so it started and ran without much fuss. Just a couple of coughs.
When the temps fall into the 40's, she is quite tempermental.
However, she is fine once she warms up.
Almost 70 here today at lunch, ran just fine.

I have a copy of the manual.
Since there is no choke butterfly to close when she is cold, I'm thinking
the choice is to richen her up to the next jet. If I start to soot the plugs,
I'll change her back.

(wonder is heavier oil on the air filter would make a difference?)

Obsolete Doof
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker

Old 11-06-2008, 02:12 PM
ocifer slacky pants
Double-D

Location: Half way down the trail to hell, in a shady meadow of green
Last Cigar Smoked: Nub Dub
squish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowsquish has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know

CAUTION! You have entered a Harley based forum. Apply a liberal amount of BS repellent to skin before reading anything by anybody.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Natural born delinquent

RKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withRKotter is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
I'm glad I have EFI...

and a laptop...

and a Daytona TwinScan II/WEGO...

~ Royal Order of Knights d'Catnip ~

E PLURIBUS DOOFUM
Old 11-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKotter View Post
I'm glad I have EFI...

and a laptop...

and a Daytona TwinScan II/WEGO...

I'll keep the carb....

Obsolete Doof
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker

Old 11-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Most carbs have to be re jetted in winter. Careful, I had to LEAN mine in cold weather. Colder air = more air molecules=more gas carried into the cylinder.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 11-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
Most carbs have to be re jetted in winter. Careful, I had to LEAN mine in cold weather. Colder air = more air molecules=more gas carried into the cylinder.
Good point.
The obsolete evo runs fine after it warms up in cold weather.
It is just the first 5 minutes or so. I get all kinds of coughs and spitbacks
like it is very lean.
I pulled my plugs last night and looked at them. Clean.

I've decided that I will pull the carb and clean it out. Might have some
trash in the low speed jet. I will check to see if any of my extra jets
are one up from the one I have. I think it will be worth a try to go
up one size. I'll just have to watch the plugs to see if it is too rich after
it warms up.

Obsolete Doof
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker

Old 11-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
I never knew that ......

I lived about 120 north of New York City for 17 years. I rode a Kowalski when I lived up there ...... I NEVER touched the carbs on that bike, winter or summer. Never noticed that it ran any different in the winter than it did in the summer. I rode year round, when road conditions permitted. Temp was never a consideration for not taking the bike, everyone thought I was a nut, when in fact I've always just been a doof ..........

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 11-07-2008, 09:03 PM
D.F.F.D.

Last Cigar Smoked: Do not smoke
Nub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withNub is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Have you checked your intake seals?
Old 11-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Sloppy Notches

Pig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographicPig of Iron43 is not in AOL's target demographic
Just remember that "carburetor" is a French word meaning "leave it alone"

Old 11-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Obsolete Doof Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by feguy1 View Post
Have you checked your intake seals?
Always a good point.
I will check. (although it runs fine after it warms up)

rode Saturday to a poker run. Was the only bike to show so they called it
on account of rain.

Rode Sunday, temp was about 58. It ran fine. Still a little fussy when first
started but not so bad as on cold mornings.

Quote:
Just remember that "carburetor" is a French word meaning "leave it alone"
You sure have that right!!!!!

Obsolete Doof
Part time Shovel Rider
Some time XLCH Kicker