Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Tech Talk > General Maintenance & Service
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

General Maintenance & Service Doing it yourself or having it done...

Old 05-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit View Post
Long story short.......

Decided to make a Doof ride at the last minute. Bike needed an oil change prior to leaving. Put in a long, hard day at work. Rode the bike to work and back that day, so motor was hot. Drained old oil, left pan under bike, changed filter, proceeded to add new oil.

Walked away from bike, turned around for some unknown reason, just in time to see the rest of the freshly added new oil drain from the unplugged oil pan. Yep, forgot to put the plug in prior to installing the fresh oil........

Thankfully, I had enough extra on hand to finish the change.

Regarding the Harley oil, my motor guy has no problem with it, so it's fine by me. And I run no more than 4K between changes anyway.

And I buy it in gallon jugs at dealer open houses, at a minimum 15% discount. Get my filters at the same time.

Best way to flush out the oil bag, three new quarts of Amsoil...

BTDT.

And it doesn't back up in the funnel when you pour it fast.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 05-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Bon vivant!

orbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knoworbit has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Butte View Post
Best way to flush out the oil bag, three new quarts of Amsoil...

BTDT.

And it doesn't back up in the funnel when you pour it fast.
This, right here, was the unnoticed red flag.

Moral: Change your oil when you ain't sufferin' from 'work fatigue'.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Amor Vincit Omnia......

Last Cigar Smoked: Drew Estates Kuba Kuba (Lovely!)
stupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstupidglide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The other day when all my schwag came in from Mega-land, I decided to swap out all the fluids while I put on my new cam medallion.
BEFORE I did all of this, since I have been working 10 hour days for weeks now, I had 2 cups of coffee, and grabbed my notepad, and owners manual, BEFORE I touched a single tool................
I have made the mistake of "tired wrenchin' " before, and learned my lesson. I made a checklist of what to do, in the order it needed doing, and stuck to it like super glue.
So, in spite of doing all of this at my buddy's place (nice concrete driveway, thank you very much!) and being occasionally distracted with conversation and such, I got it done trouble free, and honestly, I caught myself TWICE, gettin' ready to fvck-up, but my checklist saved my butt, and some $$$$ in lubricants (And BIG $$$$ in engine work!!!).

The checklist is king.
PERIOD.

Just sayin'

(And glad it all turned out ok for you!)

just a big ol' Doof.....
I MARRIED me a PIRATE!!!....
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM
Old 05-12-2013, 06:42 PM
gAZINTAs

Hodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sockHodawwg doesn't need a tube sock
Mine uses do I just add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidglide View Post
The other day when all my schwag came in from Mega-land, I decided to swap out all the fluids while I put on my new cam medallion.
BEFORE I did all of this, since I have been working 10 hour days for weeks now, I had 2 cups of coffee, and grabbed my notepad, and owners manual, BEFORE I touched a single tool................
I have made the mistake of "tired wrenchin' " before, and learned my lesson. I made a checklist of what to do, in the order it needed doing, and stuck to it like super glue.
So, in spite of doing all of this at my buddy's place (nice concrete driveway, thank you very much!) and being occasionally distracted with conversation and such, I got it done trouble free, and honestly, I caught myself TWICE, gettin' ready to fvck-up, but my checklist saved my butt, and some $$$$ in lubricants (And BIG $$$$ in engine work!!!).

The checklist is king.
PERIOD.

Just sayin'

(And glad it all turned out ok for you!)
So you are using the Harley helicopter pre flight service check list...

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 05-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Excommunicated

LittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suckLittleBear can happily embrace the suck
I never realized an oil change could cause so much stress. I use standard automotive products so all the bottles look different. I have left the oil plug out doing a car oil change but that was in the 70's. Oil was only 75 cents back them so it was a $3 mistake.
Bright side: you still had the drain pan in place. I had 4 quarts on the driveway.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Double-D

Scabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suckScabbydoo can happily embrace the suck
Well, at least you didn't put diesel in the tank.

Heard somewhere that's been done before

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."...Satchel Paige

"Mother Nature may dictate I grow older but there ain't nothin' nor nobody can make me grow up." ..Me

Old 05-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

The overhead oil dispenser messed up one day at the dealer, a 5.0 L Ford will hold 21 quarts of 5W-30...

Maybe more?

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Double-D
Formidable Faux

MrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowMrSurly has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
The overhead oil dispenser messed up one day at the dealer, a 5.0 L Ford will hold 21 quarts of 5W-30...

Maybe more?

oh, and it turns out there was nothing wrong with the starter after all, right?

Ricky
it's only metal, we can out think it.....

Simplicate, never Complify
http://www.FraZzledEgGs.com

Rhetorical Questions....
Who Needs 'em?

Famous Tripod
Old 05-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

It started, was a little lumpy at idle, but I'm one of those anal retentive types that checks the dip stick after making sure it makes oil pressure.

MDCGA

To Ride is Life...

Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 PM
gAZINTa-Delinquent

Thorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sockThorns doesn't need a tube sock
Don't fret it...no harm, no big fuk up. You will never make that mistake again in your life, and will snicker when you hear someone else did. The best mechanics are the ones who can get themselves out of trouble, and catch their mistakes before harm is done...you did good.

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms." "Gimme back, gimme back my bullets"

Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: comancho
Sonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowSonic has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabbydoo View Post

Quote:

Maybe more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorns View Post
Don't fret it...no harm, no big fuk up. You will never make that mistake again in your life, and will snicker when you hear someone else did. The best mechanics are the ones who can get themselves out of trouble, and catch their mistakes before harm is done...you did good.
Thanks....I think....lol

Chris
RIP MONGOOSE

2002 RK Police
95 Big Bore Kit, Weisco Flat Top Pistons, 9.13:1
Engine built by Wilsons of E-town,KY
Vance and Hines Ovals
SE Air Cleaner, K&N Filter
2006 HD Stock Heads
Andrews 26G Cams
Dyno'd by ENGINES BY OTTO

851st ARMY SECURITY AGENCY - Europe - 74-77
Old 05-13-2013, 09:35 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
This thread kind of makes me sad.
If somebody wants to run dino, that's cool, it's your choice, and this is still America and all that.

If somebody is all passionate about their oil and believes Slovak Refinery Number 4 Tractor Oil makes their bike run best, I'm right here saying you should run what you believe is best, because it's your bike and your money.
Those of us who believe in Amsoil do the same thing.

What I don't get is folks who really don't care much one way or the other, running a semi-synthetic like Syn3 and paying as much (or probably more) and buying it from the dealer.
You can pick up the phone, order from a sponsor here (George) and get the stuff delivered to your door while helping to keep the lights on around here. Whether you want to run the same stuff in all 3 holes or use specific fluids for each, George can help advise you and take care of your needs, and even supply top-notch Amsoil filters in the same order.

It's easier, cheaper, and it keeps me from going all televangelist on you and begging for donations. Hopefully you have noticed that the sponsor area is as unobtrusive as possible (while providing easy one-click access directly to the vendors) and this site does not even take donations for anything but the R.I.P. fund. We only have enough sponsors to pay the bills, but the sponsors are running businesses and need to see enough of a return here to make their investment in this site worth their while.

I just don't understand.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Diesel Man - DFFD

Last Cigar Smoked: Man O War Ruination
GregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGregD is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabbydoo View Post

I might resemble that remark.

How people survive without motorcycles is completely beyond me.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams

Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Double-D
Lone Doof

Last Cigar Smoked: Griffin
RoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milkRoadWolf stays crunchy even in milk
Well said Boss.
I have been doing what I do out of habit, not out of loyalty.
However, out of loyalty to THIS place I will change my habit & call George from now on.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/