Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Old Iron
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old Iron Shovels, pans, knucks, flatheads and such

Old 03-11-2009, 06:52 AM
snow pirate

Last Cigar Smoked: No thanks.
stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
A question

Here's a question for anyone familiar with the oldies... can I route my crankcase breather to vent into the air cleaner? I've installed a bendix carb that has a provision in the breather to allow for a hose connection. Since I'm running a primary belt drive, I've had to move the crankcase breather from the primary and let it vent by the rear chain. Needless to say, this is somewhat messy and contributes to the little puddle under the bike. Please let me know of any pros/cons to doing this. Thanks.

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST.

GFFG
Old 03-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Moderated

polarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sockpolarbear doesn't need a tube sock
I would think you could, as long as it's a small amount of oil. I was told by a good mechanic before my Evo was rebuilt that it wouldn't hurt a thing. The problem I had was the check ball was not closing enough and it would puddle big time. After the rebuild, the problem went away. This was on a '92, not sure about shovels.

"Great White Pillager and Doof of Kansas"

Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
The old shovel's had, as you know, a constant loss oiling system for the primary. The oil vapor venting out of the crank case under the crank puts out more oil than vapor. If you were to try to re route this UP to your breather, you'd build up oil in the tube, and I don't think you'd do much venting, if any at all. After there was a build up of oil in the tube, you'd not be able to vent any more. It would create a "hydro plug." I think you're better off using one of the small filters that some folks use to catch the oil mist. Run a hose under the frame, and put the little filter on the end. Of course, in time it becomes oil soaked, and has to be cleaned.

I just had a thought.......
How does the vent attach to the crank case? Is it threaded into the case? Iron Head Sportsters, (AMF vintage) used a one way check valve to vent into the primary, which is wet. They would go bad from time to time and become two way valves. We would just braise them shut, and then run ATF in the primary. The Sporty's vented on the cam side, under the generator so it was no issue closing them up. Check out the compatibility between a mid 70's sportster vent valve and yours.

Meng

TKWSV

Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 AM
snow pirate

stoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowstoney has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer-Glide View Post
I just had a thought.......
How does the vent attach to the crank case? Is it threaded into the case? Iron Head Sportsters, (AMF vintage) used a one way check valve to vent into the primary, which is wet. They would go bad from time to time and become two way valves. We would just braise them shut, and then run ATF in the primary. The Sporty's vented on the cam side, under the generator so it was no issue closing them up. Check out the compatibility between a mid 70's sportster vent valve and yours.
My crankcase vent is a breather tube that comes out of the crankcase on the primary side. I've attached a hose to it to vent it back to the chain. If I close it off, crankcase pressure builds up until a gasket blows somewhere else, resulting in a big mess. Don't ask me how I know.....

GFFG
Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney61 View Post
My crankcase vent is a breather tube that comes out of the crankcase on the primary side. I've attached a hose to it to vent it back to the chain. If I close it off, crankcase pressure builds up until a gasket blows somewhere else, resulting in a big mess. Don't ask me how I know.....

Which is why I'm curious if a sportster breather will fit/adapt.

BTW, which head blew off, the front or rear???

Meng

TKWSV

Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Dave ...are you running the vent to the clean side,
or the dirty side? Running it to the dirty side (outside
the air filter) prolly won't change anything. Running it to the
clean side (inside air filter) will result in a negative crankcase pressure.
Possibly leading to oil consumption, or eventually "sucking a gasket".
I had to route the crankcase vent on some of my stationary engines
when I was on the farm, and yes, they did use more oil.

just hang a small bucket under your scoot.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlfitr View Post
It could be like the hummers the military has. They keep a drip pan inside the vehicle for when it stops, then you throw it under the motor/tranny to catch anything that drips.....

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 AM
snow pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlfitr View Post
Dave ...are you running the vent to the clean side,
or the dirty side? Running it to the dirty side (outside
the air filter) prolly won't change anything. Running it to the
clean side (inside air filter) will result in a negative crankcase pressure.
Possibly leading to oil consumption, or eventually "sucking a gasket".
I had to route the crankcase vent on some of my stationary engines
when I was on the farm, and yes, they did use more oil.

It would vent to the dirty side, but I don't want oil dripping from my air filter......... as for the bucket.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
It could be like the hummers the military has. They keep a drip pan inside the vehicle for when it stops, then you throw it under the motor/tranny to catch anything that drips.....
I really don't mind a few drips under the old girl....its the oil mist that coats the frame at the rear. It gets to be a pain to keep clean, but I can live with it if I have to.

GFFG
Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
I wouldn't like the drip either.....

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:34 AM
snow pirate

Quote:
That's the price ya pay to ride an antique......

GFFG
Old 03-11-2009, 09:40 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
One word.
Character.
And don't even bother trying to explain it to people in Power Rangers outfits.
Just say "Yup, it's a piece of shit, alright", and keep drinkin'.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 AM
gAZINTa - Delinquent

dzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowdzlfitr has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:

I think you can get a shot for that nowadays.

just tryin'ta help.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 AM
snow pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
One word.
Character.
And don't even bother trying to explain it to people in Power Rangers outfits.
Just say "Yup, it's a piece of shit, alright", and keep drinkin'.
Very well said....sums it up perfectly. Thanks.

GFFG