Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > The Attic > MoCo
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

MoCo The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Last Cigar Smoked: 601 La Bomba
Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Wandell: Harley-Davidson needs to be more agile, seek new customers

Link to article

Quote:
Harley-Davidson is plotting a marketing course designed to walk a tightrope: attracting new customers without alienating die-hard fans, CEO Keith Wandell says.

“We can’t survive on our core customers alone,” Wandell told a symposium audience at the Center for Operational Excellence at Ohio State University’s Fisher College of Business Friday. “2008 changed the landscape of the economy in this country forever, and anybody who believes for one minute that it’s ever going to be the same as it was before 2008, it’s not going to happen.”

Bob Althoff, owner of Dealernews Top 100 dealer AD Farrow Co. – the oldest continually operating Harley-Davidson dealership in the U.S., echoed Wandell’s message, according to the Columbus Business Journal, noting the company needs to give riders more entry-level opportunities.

“We train (first-timers) how to ride, but most will buy their first motorcycle from our competitors – and that breaks our heart,” Althoff said.

Wandell hinted that the company will bring new products to market more quickly and try to be a more agile player to keep up with market trends.

“If we bring out products that make them say, ‘Wow,’ then they’ll know we’re still investing in them,” he said.

The Motor Co. got complacent during the boom years when customers were placed on waiting lists for new motorcycles, he said, and that alienated some potential customers.

“You told people to go away,” he said. “You said, ‘We don’t want you.’ ”

Wandell told the group that North America, home to half of Harley-Davidson’s more than 1,400 dealer locations, has been overdeveloped. Between 60 and 70 stores have closed in recent years, and another 30 are expected to be trimmed from the field soon.
So why was Buell axed then?

Make Doof Clenas Fun Again (MDCFA)

Old 10-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Smoker of Tires

Crabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withCrabby Appleton is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
they need to tell most of their Dealers to stop acting all high and mighty
Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 AM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Webb View Post
Link to article

So why was Buell axed then?
I think Buell was a victim of poor marketing and it's inability to keep up with competitors. I didn't see any eyebrows raised until the 1125R came out and by then it was too late.

To be honest, I'm surprised the Vrod has lasted as long as it has.

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide Ultra

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Breaker of Stuff

Bone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowBone Stockman has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
I've heard (but don't know for certain) that the V-Rod does pretty well overseas.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Double-D
Doof Gooner

Last Cigar Smoked: Bubble Gum
Redleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suckRedleg can happily embrace the suck
This is why a lot of dealers are apparently signing up to carry ATK (US/Korean made) as entry level bikes according to some of the mags.

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out there having fun on motorcycles. It makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen
Old 10-10-2011, 01:53 PM
along came Blondie......

BigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sockBigSwede doesn't need a tube sock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Webb View Post
I've heard (but don't know for certain) that the V-Rod does pretty well overseas.
It is a very euro styled bike.....much like the XR1200X. I don't see a whole lot of those on the roads here.

RIP Diver, Bashful, Smitty, Clank, Johnny B, Fire46, Red Rider and Mongoose, GBNF

"It is foolish to mourn the men that died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" -General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:55 PM
along came Blondie......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
This is why a lot of dealers are apparently signing up to carry ATK (US/Korean made) as entry level bikes according to some of the mags.
Nuts. If the dealers had brains, try's push the lower end sportys as entry level. Selling a foreign bike at an american dealership just seems funky.......

Old 10-31-2011, 03:22 AM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
It's called reactive marketing...

Asian bikes I've never heard of, coming soon to a local HD dealer near me??!! Guess it makes sense now - fits with all the Asian-made clothing.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:27 AM
Amsoil Site Sponsor
Double-D

Geezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowGeezer-Glide has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Nuts. Selling a foreign bike at an american dealership just seems funky.......
Generate foot traffic into the dealership. How many of the HD dealerships out there now handle another brand? Lots I'm guessing. My local was looking at Victory, but it never came to pass. It's all about the foot traffic into the building.

Funny, because if you look at all the country of origin..... electrics from Japan. Suspension and wheels, same. Frames and engine castings, Mexico. They do stamp the tins at York......

FXDRYDR is right. All the motor clothes are now from China, so the question is...... just what the heck IS American made anymore???? Even our flags come from China!!

Meng

TKWSV

Old 10-31-2011, 08:42 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
My short $.02.

They can do whatever they want to attract the new, but it won't work unless these dealers do, indeed, get down off their high horses and bulid a relationship with their customers. Then, when the noobs are ready to move up, they'll beat a path back to the door where they were treated so well.

For my second penny's worth, keeping their current customer base...
They're currently doing it wrong. The only way to get me, and those like me, off our current scoots and onto the new is to make them irresistable. That means significant improvements without tradeoffs. Currently the MoCo cheapens production methods (with the resultant hit to quality) in order to make more $ for the stockholders, and alienates those who put on more than 147 miles a year in the process.
How about giving us the new frame, bigger motors, etc., without cheapening things in other areas. We'd much rather have paid another $150 MSRP and kept our Timkens in '03, for example.

In a nutshell, make us a bike that will essentially last forever, then give us a good enough reason to trade it in on a new model anyway.
They'd be rich beyond the dreams of avarice if they would do that.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Breaker of Stuff

I think the new Indian-sourced 750s have the potential to do very well, assuming the dealers sell them properly. They failed to do that with Buell, and they do a poor job with Sportsters.

But Dave's right, they also need to get serious about building quality Touring bikes that'll go the distance without the inexcusable quality issues. I'm looking at riding to the west coast next June, and I have my doubts about the bike making it. I shouldn't feel that way about a 2 year old, $24,000 bike.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Oh, and a third penny's worth.

Stop using your customers for beta testing.
It's not like the innovations are coming so fast and in such great numbers that you can't get it right before you make us pay for it.
Put some test mules on the road, fer chrissakes.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Double-D

FXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFXDRYDR has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Concur. For what Harley stuff costs - it can be made better and once-again designed to be repairable.

I am rarely inside a dealership and I will not buy anything made in China unless there's no option. However, I refuse to buy anything made cheaply offshore that's priced at a US-made price point. I'm talking about the $450 leather jackets made in China. Dunno, but guessing they cost well south of $100 - maybe closer to $50 - and I just refuse.

Cheap stuff gave us the appetite and got us over Chinese-made. U.S. workers lost their jobs as factories closed and the work was off-shored. Now ever-so-gradually, companies are raising the prices as if the stuff was made here. Uh-uh...
  • I don't like that their stuff is dumped here.
  • I don't like that our pols listen more to lobbyists than common sense.
  • I don't like our lack of a trade policy...
  • ...and I don't like getting fukd.

I get it that U.S. stuff costs more and so long as the quality is there, I'll gladly pay. We have a standard of living and expenses that the Chinese don't and I'm happy to pay to keep an American family fed. I'm good with that, but I won't let an American company fuk the entire country and pocket the proceeds while doing it.

So... on a rare trip to the dealer, when I spied a new, loaded Road Glide and asked the price - I was floored to learn it was $32K+. That's damn near what I paid for my car.

Looked at the new BMWs too. Still pricey and still tied to the dealer via technology, but IMO a much better value for the coin.

Guess I was all full of piss and vinegar... Feelin' better now. Thx...
Old 10-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Breaker of Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDRYDR View Post
Looked at the new BMWs too. Still pricey and still tied to the dealer via technology, but IMO a much better value for the coin.
This.

When I test rode the K1600GTL this past summer, aside from being amazed at what a phenomenal bike it was, I felt like an absolute f*cking moron for spending the same amount of money on my Limited. Don't get me wrong, even though it keeps breaking, I love my Limited, but the K1600 is tenfold the bike the Harley will ever be.

Same feeling I had riding the GS. It's a boatload of money, but with the exception of carrying a passenger all day, it does everything better than the Limited.

No fooling, I haven't grinned so much on a motorcycle since I was a kid riding a dirt bike.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:19 AM
Double-D

I believe it. I was really impressed with those bikes. Love my Harley, but value for the money between the two is not even close.