Doof Clenas Forum & Collective

Go Back   The Doof Clenas Motorcycle Collective > Motorcycle Categories > Old Iron
CHALLENGE COINS, PATCHES, TIMER COVERS, HATS, T-SHIRTS IN STOCK NOW - Click on the "Doof Wares" link on the menu bar... ------------------------------ Current Homeland Diaper Rash Level: Light Pink - Chafed, yet faintly amusing ------------------------------ Lady G's Doofishul Theme for August is: Redheads ------------------------------ LISTEN TO OUR NOT QUITE FINISHED THEME SONG... CLICK HERE!... THANKS, BUZZ!!!!

Old Iron Shovels, pans, knucks, flatheads and such

Old 10-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Under Construction

Last Cigar Smoked: Robert Burns Blackwatch, in the '70s
TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Some progress made.

Found another instance where the PO got ripped off by one of the local indies. The swingarm bearings were allegedly changed last year. They may have changed the grease, but the bearings were old SKFs and the races looked to be the OEM timkens with little roller-shaped wear marks.

Gonna make a stand today and get the motor our of the frame.
Somewhat dilapidated, yet functional, Kubota L2500
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
'02 Wrangler X, 4" lift on 33 x 12.50s
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Felt Nine 50
Killin' more bees than Monsanto
Old 10-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Mississippi Cajun

KD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withKD5CQT is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Since you are obviously doing all of the work, did you hit the insurance weenie up for labor as well as parts and paint?
Old 10-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Double-D

why_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milkwhy_me stays crunchy even in milk
One day I will have the room to pick up a project like that. Looking good, Tim!
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen Eisenhower.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Under Construction

TalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowTalonChief has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5CQT View Post
Since you are obviously doing all of the work, did you hit the insurance weenie up for labor as well as parts and paint?
Well, yeah, but to fix the stuff that got tweaked in the crash was minor. I decided that since I was going in, I might as well powder coat the inside of the engine while I was there.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 10-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Me View Post
One day I will have the room to pick up a project like that. Looking good, Tim!
Oh, there's no room. You can't see the enormous stacks of crap that I have to move around to work everyone else drops in the garage.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 10-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Under Construction

Motor's out.

Gonna' pull the top end off the motor to fix the leak base gasket. I know the top end is relatively new. I have a feeling the bottom end may be original, though.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 10-10-2010, 09:39 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
This is looking a lot like my $5,000 '99 KX250 project.
Just don't put a gripper seat cover on it.

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Buffalo Hump

fxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suckfxr4mikey can happily embrace the suck
nice project !!! Looking good Tim !

States I've ridden my scoots in:

Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Under Construction

A little progress today. I got the tab welded onto the swingarm to anchor the 00 softail caliper. It, along with the frame and a few odds & ends are at the powder coater.

I soda blasted the 3 or so coats of flat-black rattle can off of the transmission, and have an equal amount to take off the motor. Hopefully I don't find the rods wallerin' all around when I pull the jugs to fix the leaky base gasket. If that does happen, I'll may as well go for the grippy seat.
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 11-12-2010, 05:50 AM
Double-D

BadDice is not in AOL's target demographicBadDice is not in AOL's target demographicBadDice is not in AOL's target demographicBadDice is not in AOL's target demographicBadDice is not in AOL's target demographicBadDice is not in AOL's target demographicBadDice is not in AOL's target demographicBadDice is not in AOL's target demographicBadDice is not in AOL's target demographicBadDice is not in AOL's target demographicBadDice is not in AOL's target demographic
Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Come aaawwn seven;.......... DAMN!!

Old 11-12-2010, 06:25 AM
The Other Founder
President for Life
Double-D

Last Cigar Smoked: PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura
MegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glassesMegaGlide looks handsome even in Groucho glasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
A little progress today. I got the tab welded onto the swingarm to anchor the 00 softail caliper. It, along with the frame and a few odds & ends are at the powder coater.

I soda blasted the 3 or so coats of flat-black rattle can off of the transmission, and have an equal amount to take off the motor. Hopefully I don't find the rods wallerin' all around when I pull the jugs to fix the leaky base gasket. If that does happen, I'll may as well go for the grippy seat.

I trust that, in true non-OCC tradition, you test fit said caliper prior to powder coat?

http://sherlynpopelka.net/

Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse;
and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True,
and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

*Usual manly disclaimer applies, if applicable.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide View Post
I trust that, in true non-OCC tradition, you test fit said caliper prior to powder coat?
Huh? Test fit?

Actually, I put the caliper on the axle, centered it in the adjustment holes, and used a piece of PVC as a spacer to snug it all up. Then I used the caliper to locate the position of the tab and clamped it there. I had a guy at the local rice-racer shop who does custom exhausts TIG it on. I suppose I could have tried to MIG it myself, but I didn't want to end up with a swingarm that was twice as heavy on one side.

It looks like this, although this is not my swingarm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear brake.jpg (71.8 KB, 72 views)
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50
Old 11-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

GODERATOR is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGODERATOR is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGODERATOR is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGODERATOR is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGODERATOR is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGODERATOR is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGODERATOR is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGODERATOR is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGODERATOR is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGODERATOR is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen withGODERATOR is someone you wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonChief View Post
Huh? Test fit?

Actually, I put the caliper on the axle, centered it in the adjustment holes, and used a piece of PVC as a spacer to snug it all up. Then I used the caliper to locate the position of the tab and clamped it there. I had a guy at the local rice-racer shop who does custom exhausts TIG it on. I suppose I could have tried to MIG it myself, but I didn't want to end up with a swingarm that was twice as heavy on one side.

It looks like this, although this is not my swingarm.
So, you welded it on somebody elses swingarm? Brilliant. Perhaps OCC is hiring.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Mike Oxbig 43rd

Last Cigar Smoked: I haven't lately...
Fe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever knowFe Butte has forgotten more about Harleys than you'll ever know
Trial fitment, gonna wait to see how that one turns out.

MDCGA

The Road Goes On Forever...
To Ride is Life...

In search of the Doof 43. . . .

Colorado Motel Wreckers 2012 ... Midnight Riders of The Beartooth 2013...

Old 11-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Under Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODERATOR View Post
So, you welded it on somebody elses swingarm? Brilliant. Perhaps OCC is hiring.
If you're referring to the pic above, that came from the guy I got the parts from--he sells it all as a kit. Don't you have some chrome thingies to bolt on your bike?
'20 Branson 3620
'18 Ram 3500 Diesel
Felt Nine 50